Is G1 Astro Magnum considered a knock off?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Cornholiocon, Jun 27, 2012.

1. Cornholiocon

Cornholiocon Up the irons!

I've been considering getting some form of G1 Shockwave and recently discovered Astro Magnum in Japanese packaging. While some eBay auctions state they are diaclone/pre-rub I was wondering if this is true or whether they are simply knock offs of the original ToyCo mold that was ultimately licensed to Hasbro.
    Does anyone know the story behind this particular version?
    Thanks.

2. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Long story short, all the original TF figures come from other toylines (up until around 1986). Those toylines were often sold elsewhere in other forms (Diaclone in Europe, for example), and Astro Magnum was actually the same mold, made by ToyCo and sold at radio shack, at around the same time the mold was acquired for use by Hasbro as Shockwave, and sold pretty much everywhere.

So Astro Magnum, or Shackwave (due to being sold at Radio Shack) is not really a knockoff, but nor is he an offical transformer, either. If anything, he's sort of a pre-transformer/tangental development from the origins of the brand. I doubt an official version would be packaged as Diaclone, however, since those were a separate line developed by another company.

This is assuming we're talking about the original Astro Magnum though, as the mold has been bootlegged and knocked off to hell and back.

3. Cornholiocon

That's really interesting.
    Appreciate the info.

4. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    The Omega Supreme mold had similar pre-TF happenings. I've got a Grandstand Converters Omegatron and a Space Tank that are the same mold as OS from just a few years before Transformers started and some may have still been on store shelves when TF officially hit. Omegatron was a fully licensed release of the mold. There have been quite a few versions of this mold, including weird knock-offs, I believe there are some collectors of it on TFW.

STA: Grandstand Convertors: Omegatron (Omega Supreme)

http://tformers.com/transformers-autobot-omega-supreme-through-the-years/9520/news.html

5. Jazz342

Jazz342 Well-Known Member

If it was a knockoff it wouldn't be getting similar value to a true shockwave on eBay.

6. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    That Omegatron would make a cool Omega Sentinel.

7. Cornholiocon

Very cool to see other colored versions of these guys.
    Thanks for the links.

8. strangeguy32000

strangeguy32000 Well-Known Member

I consider my Astro Magnum an official Transformer. He is not a Knockoff (even if his "Vulcan" sound setting is spelled "Bulcan" on the label), He is the Predecessor to the one called "Shockwave". He does not bear the Decepticon branding because he existed before and during Megatron's uprising. Being such an important part of Megatron's plan to Conquer Cybertron, Astro Magnum was granted the choice of whether or not he wished to bear the symbol of his Peers which he Declined (although his Purple-hued Clone would bear this Mark upon activation) The Grey-armored Scientific genius of the Decepticons even created Soundwave, whose most powerful minions slayed Astro Magnum before they themselves were slain by Shockwave, Astro's clone.

Yes, I just created a back story for Astro Magnum.