Is Encore the best reissue line?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by knook, Aug 13, 2008.

1. knook

knook Let the Virus Consume You

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I believe it is. With Encore we're getting larger figures like Omega Supreme, Metroplex and Skylynx.
    What do you guys think?

2. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    TFC still rocks the hardest. The Encore is nice but I dont get the same feeling as I get with the TFC. The bookstyleboxes, the collectionpappers inside, you can see everything without taking the figure out. They are simply one of the best things Takara has done in the reissue era of the 2000.

3. taterx

taterx Lurkin since Transfandom

I agree the TFC has a sweeter presentation.

4. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    TFC, easily. Having all the boxes at generally the same size and orientation makes for a gorgeous presentation & display. New packaging and new artwork made them truly look and feel like a new product. A regular release schedule made them fun and easy to collect.

As nice as it is to see some larger reissues like Omega and Sky Lynx, we know that larger figures at a higher price point often don't sell as well or in volume. I worry that if they don't meet sales expectations, Encore could come to a premature end.

Now that doesn't mean I'm not buying every Encore reissue as well, because I am... just sayin.' :lol 

5. DeathStorm

DeathStorm Snoochie Boochies

News Credits:
    Since I don't keep any of them in their boxes, doesn't make a difference to me - reissues is reissues.

However, for sentimental reasons, I really liked the TRU ones. Throwback (in most cases) artwork, good box design (even if it wasn't consistent), and the original three (Prime, Magnus, and Hot Rod) look great with their old school window displays.

6. Prowl2000

Prowl2000 Keep it sealed TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I like the convention reissues from 2000-2001. They are the closest representation we have of the original figures.

I think each series has its pros and cons. I like how with both the bookstyles and the encore series we're getting figures we didn't expect.

7. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, I agree. Both TF reissue lines have their pros and cons and...I'm not particular to packaging just the toy.

8. flywheels

flywheels Decepticon Assault Team Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I too prefer the presentation of the TFC line. When you line up the entire set on a bookshelf it's just awesome. On the other hand, I like the retro packaging of the Encore line. I bought all of the TFCs, but I'm only buying select Encores.

ams brings up a good point about the sales not meeting expectations for the larger releases. Not sure why TFC ended when it did (was it the Tomy merger?), but I hope Encore continues as there are plenty of others that need to be reissued.

9. Big Filipino

Big Filipino John 3:16-17 says it all

News Credits:
    I agree that TFC is better. The presentation/box style/art is fantastic.

10. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    I'm going to have to say TFC, too. The packaging was great, the figures were usually completely accurate to the original release, and the quality was pretty solid (with occasional gaffes like Soundblaster coming with two left hands or two right Ravage cannons). I only have one Encore release (Optimus), but the plastic quality feels noticeably lower than any of my TFC or Hasbro reissues.

11. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    TFC.

For me the only must have Encore toy they've done so far is Omega Supreme but other then that it's been stuff I've already seen or have, often for the 2-3rd go around. While Metroplex is another awesome release on TakaraTomy's part I've already had a minty vintage one for years so he doisnt count (but for those of you who dont I do encourage buying the Encore no question as he is a great toy :D ). Other then Omega the new Mini-Bots set has been the only other Encore release I've purchased thus far and as it stands will be the last for wile unless we hear more announcements (though Skywarp & Thundercracker do tempt me).

12. Melkava

Melkava Well-Known Member

Another vote for TFC.
    The little extras like prime's axe/meg's mace/energon cubes whenever possible thats missing from the Encore line.
    I m still suprised at the number of folks who did not realised that TFC's insert could be flipped for use as a display stand of sorts.

13. DeathStorm

DeathStorm Snoochie Boochies

News Credits:
    Looks like I'm the only one who liked the TRU reissues. Ah well, to each his own - the TFC were nice, I just didn't like the "generic" look of the boxes (white with a cartoon and lettering).

14. Erector

Erector I ruined the Hall of Fame

News Credits:
    For me it depends what you mean.

In terms of presentation? TFC or TRU to a lesser extent. The retro look is cool, but it's an ASS to store, and I really like the uniformed look of the other two reissue lines (excluding a few of the TRU ones).

However in terms of molds, I think Encore has the right idea. If it can carry on being economically viable to produce the larger figures, then I think it has a lot of potential :D 

15. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    TFC was better with the extras, like Energon cubes, Megatron gun mode, matrix, remolded guns, Targetmasters.

But I love Encore's bigger releases, like when we got God Jinrai, Sixshot, Predaking and Galvatron. It's the collector's market, we have disposable income. Let's get more of that.

16. knook

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I agree that TFC and TRU reissues look better but Encore has a G1 look and the range of figures is much better

17. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

i say g2 was i mean, how can you beat, the pink and gray starsceam? lol! *sarcasm* :) 

18. knook

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    you can't *ignores sarcasm*

19. unmc2001

unmc2001 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    TFC for me too. They great artwork on the box and I like the file cards as well that show pics of many of the G1 toys. They are esier to display when the boxes are uniform in size. I wish we would have gotten a few more of them like Rodimus, Trailbreaker, Hoist, Grapple, Streak, Alert, Ironhide, Ratchet, Ultra Magnus......

20. Nemesis_Prime22

Nemesis_Prime22 Dark Emperor

TFC, all the way...