Is Ebert Contradicting Himself?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Trell, Dec 1, 2009.

1. Satomiblood

Satomiblood City Hunter

He really enjoyed Bruno.

2. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Searching for the Infin-Honey Stones

News Credits:
    He also gave "Knowing" four stars. I think the man's been slipping in his standards as of late.

3. ryan.j

ryan.j Well-Known Member

but he already makes disasterous movies! etc. etc.

4. ryan.j

ryan.j Well-Known Member

Lets not be too harsh on him. Perhaps he hasn't seen Ali G or Borat. Maybe Sasha Baron Cohen's wit hasn't worn as thin for him as it has the rest of us.*

*with the Baying Bayniverse of Bayformers fanBays to back me up on this point i'm relatively comfortable slating well respected public figures. tomorrow i'll take a risk and suggest that gobots aren't as good as transfor... oh wait, i already did that on the last page :( 

5. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    I don't get the Ebert obsession. Plenty of mainstream critics hated ROTF.

6. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

I think I can help you out with a link.

Moviebob over at The Escapist disliked Revenge of the Fallen for being brain dead fun but enjoyed 2012 for being brain dead. Unlike some critics though he actually takes the time to explain why one worked and the other film did not. Even if you don't agree with what he has to say it is an interesting chance to see just how critics look at a film and might explain to you why some critics can like one stupid film but dislike another stupid film.

The Escapist 2012 vs Revenge of the Fallen review

7. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

I´m gonna be honest, I never heard of Ebert until Revenge of the Fallen. Not that I really care about him, but this bitching about the man is not really necessary is it?

8. Ephland

Ephland Let's Go Rangers

News Credits:
    Maybe, maybe not. What do we want here, a retraction?

9. Optimus Matt

Optimus Matt Well-Known Member

i loved both transformer films but knew going in that there were nothing but fun popcorn movies and thats why i liked it.

10. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

I was gonna do that gag, but feared it would provoke too much "ZOMG YUO ALWAYS HATE BAY!!!"

Yeah, but... but... EBERT!!!

No, I don't get it either. You'd think Roger Ebert was the lone dissenting voice from the way some people act.
    Roger Ebert personally raped the parents of many TFW posters. I'm guessing.

11. Optimus1986

Optimus1986 TMNT & Hulk Fanatic

What does it matter if a critic doesn't like a movie? Let it go.

12. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Normally I'd say who cares what others think? The opinion of someone else over sa film or whatever doesn't affect affect how you feel about it yourself.
    I think sometimes people feel if a high profile critic says something you loved was rubbish then they're afraid other people will see that review and also think it's rubbish because of that. Sometimes people don't want to be judged poorly for what they like when someone higher profile says different.

Fan: "I like this movie"
    Person": "Such and such high profile reviewer says it was shite, therefore you're shite. And everyone now knows it."
    Fan: :( 

13. Optimus Sledge

Why let that sort of thing bother you? Doesn't stop me enjoying Hudson Hawk.

14. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    You are judged? :p 

These days too many people define themselves by what other people think of them and the things they like.
    Personally I quite enjoyed the Battlefield Earth movie. Do I care so many others thought it was shite? Not at all. In fact it entertains me to mention it. :) 

15. Tyrannosaur

Tyrannosaur Well-Known Member

Whoever brought up the "cancer" thing, that was just a pathetic argument. Because Ebert had cancer I can't disagree with him? Bullshit.
    '
    2012 sucked throbbing cock. Effects were good, acting was decent, everything else, bleh. I liked ROTF. I didn't love it, but I didn't hate it. No movie deserves 1 star, maybe a few (Disaster Movie) but not ROTF. To me, giving ROTF 1/10, 1/5 1/4 etc. is like saying there was absolutley nothing good about the movie at all, and that includes everything. ROTF doesn't derseve a perfect 10 either. To me, it should get no lower than a 5/10 and no higher than a 7/10.

Incoming sarcastic response from Optimus Sledge in 3... 2... 1...

16. Vizer

Vizer Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I don't think either RotF or 2012 were good movies by any means, but I did prefer RotF from a Transformer fan's point of view. That being said, I can see how the general movie goer would enjoy 2012 more. In terms of action, both are very comparable. However, 2012 has a story (although not a great one) that actually made sense. It's story didn't go from robots fighting, to random college scenes with crack brownies, to a 30 minute desert fight scene featuring robot heaven and the tacked on appearence of the "big" enemy who no one could remember due to the 3 minutes of prior screentime he had.

I don't mean to be defending 2012, as I thought it was a very poor movie, but at least I didn't have to spend 30 minutes explaining to my friends what they had just seen when it was over. My experience is that most people found RotF kind of hard to follow. It is by no means hard to understand the story, but it does have a ton of subplots that muddle the main events.

17. Optimus Sledge

Cancer? :confused:  Am I in a different thread?

18. Tyrannosaur

Tyrannosaur Well-Known Member

Ha! I fucking knew it! :lol 

Just responding to Dirge121's comment

19. MrSoundwaveGuy

MrSoundwaveGuy I've made a huge mistake

News Credits:
    I find it crazy how some fans act about Ebert's review, saying that he just hates Transformers, nevermind the fact he gave the first movie three stars

20. Sso02V

Sso02V Injector Has a Posse

News Credits:
    Since he liked the first one, it's rational to believe that he would be disappointed that the second one didn't improve on the formula any.

So now if 2012 has a sequel (2013; Oh crap, it was this year!) and it's more of the same, then he'll probably be likewise unimpressed.