Is Devastator the best G1 Combiner Toy?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Alucard77, Feb 10, 2011.

1. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    I have never played with all of the G1 combiners. Mostly stopped with Devastator. Having a look at all the other combiners, I am not impressed by any of their looks.

There are three things that I am looking at when I say this:

1- Aesthetics: Devastator actually looks nice in combiner form. I feel like all the other combiners look like they are connected by a center brick with pegs. The limbs are questionable at best. In most cases they look like bricks as well. Menasor is a perfect example of that.

2- G1 Cartoon Accuracy: Devastator actually looks like the cartoon. I cannot think of another combiner except for maybe Superion that looks like the cartoon.

3- Combiner form: I personally have to say, while the combiner form is not the most creative thing in the world, it is really nice what they do with the torso and the abdomen area. Even the plate that connects the legs is not bad for the time. Overall it is a pretty nice transformation to make Devastator.

The one place where this figure may be lacking is in Articulation. Having not played with other Combiners, I would say the lack of leg articulation is probably bringing him down (good thing we have CDMW-02).

So I ask you, do you guys think Devastator is the best G1 Combiner Toy? If not, please explain why another combiner is better.

2. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Veteran

News Credits:
    Piranacon wins hands down for me. Interchangeable limbs to guns FTW.

3. Human Beastbox

Human Beastbox The Murdinator

News Credits:
    I kinda dig the Constructicons individual robots more than Devastator.

But that's just me.

4. Roanstalker

Roanstalker Great Baan Gaan fan

News Credits:
    I think a lot of people will say Predaking looks awesome and is imposing.

5. aprim

aprim Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    most iconic...but not the bast.

6. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    This. because he is the first combiner to be introduced, he is special in many fans' eyes.

7. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    far from the best.

he is not at all stable. I have a Vintage G1 set and he falls apart just looking at him, and his "Feet" are a bit lacking in stability.

visually, he fits in with the look and feel of a construction team monstrosity.

but overall, i prefer Predaking or Computron more than him.

8. vm-01

vm-01 Well-Known Member

Devy's not my favorite G1 combiner (that would be bruticus) but you forgot some other bonus things with the constructicons:

- Color scheme: the unified theme really works for both individual and combined form.

- They're all the same size. Big plus. Plus their size lets them interact well with both smaller and bigger figures.

- You can sorta use the parts in all modes.

- You have some options with the accesories: you use the head gun or not, use the drill or the hand.

9. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    I have a Vintage G1 set, and mine almost never falls apart. Having said that, I have since bought a KO for the box, and am now using the KO figure and have my Vintage Boxed.

Could you guys talk about the articulation and transformation a bit when you mention these. As I said, I have not played with any of the other ones. So it would be interesting to say what people say. I may end up buying another KO based off of what is said.

10. anubis20

anubis20 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    I like Devastator the most because he was the first combiner, but also because he is composed of 6 robots all equal in size.

11. Cheem The Rup

Cheem The Rup Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Better Predaking, very better... but also Computron deserves much more love than Devastator in its g1 toy form (but Crazy Devy gave him justice :D ). As a TF character/icon, yes maybe it's the most important gestalt imo :) 

12. Trailbreaker77

Trailbreaker77 Camaro Club! Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Devastator was the first but he is not the best. However the new TFC Devastator WILL be the best combiner.

13. Cheem The Rup

Cheem The Rup Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It'd be impossible to not agree :D 

14. alldarker

alldarker M.A.S.K. Crusader

News Credits:
    I DO think Devastator is still the best G1 Combiner. As has been mentioned above, the component parts each are in reasonable scale with each other, the extra parts can all find a place when the Constructicons are in alt mode and the color scheme is unified. Furthermore, I really appreciate the engineering that went into Devestator: Mixmaster, Hook, and Longhaul all have extra engineering (not needed in robot mode) to allow them to become Devastator parts.
    I too own an original and complete Devastator, and mine is almost as solid as a rock when put together: nothing falls off and he holds most arm poses very well (except for his wrists which have a tendency to turn on their axis.

Because Predaking also has a couple of the characteristics that make Devastator so good (color-scheme, in scale with each other), I'd rate him the second best G1 Combiner. Also, he's cool because he's huge.

Even though some of the other G1 Combiners do look really good, both seperately and combined (Bruticus, Computron), they do just slap on 4 smaller components to one larger component.

15. AMG

AMG Old School

No.

Predaking is my favorite. He's large, stylish, powerful looking and each of his components are good sized toys on their own.

Devastator is iconic, heck I remember when he was first released. But for me he pales in comparison overall to Predaking.

16. unclemarsellus

unclemarsellus Imaginaut

I agree with the sentiment that he is the most iconic. He was one of 2 combiners I had a kid so I have a strong nostalgic attachment too. Best is relative but I'd put him among the best. He's still very cool.

17. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

I think I agree with Razerwire. Piranacon's multifunction Targetmaster ability adds a ton of extra play value, plus he does have a pretty coherent colourscheme too. That said, there's always been something I love about Bruticus, too.

I've never had a Predaking to comment on him though.

18. optimus12380

optimus12380 Well-Known Member

Abominus has always been my favorite followed by Predaking and Piranacon. Though as a kid I had Abominus so there's some nostalgia attached to it for me, didn't have a complete Predaking & Piranacon combiner until recently.

19. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    At least until TFC decides to make another combiner ;) 

20. havanowoncheese

havanowoncheese Bloodsail Admiral

My answer is yes. I always loved devastator and still have never owned an actual authentic devastator just a KO.