Is deli meat processed?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Superion33, Apr 19, 2009.

1. Superion33

Superion33 Banned

Maybe someone here knows? I know that the stuff you get packaged in the deli meat aisle is heavily processed. I think its even "formed". Not just the cold cuts that are EXACTLY the same shape and size but the supposed "shaved" ones too. It seems like they make it into mush and then shape each cold cut.

Is that the same for the deli meat that you get behind the deli counter? The one where you point out the type of meat you want and they slice it up the way you want it? Is that meat also processed and formed? Do they add preservatives, colorings, flavors to that meat also? I don't think that the deli meat behind the counter is formed because you can actually see the individual muscle fibers.

I am basically trying to eat healthy and cutting out all the unnecessary chemicals we put in our bodies everyday. Any help would be appreciated.

2. TheMonarch

TheMonarch Still arching Venture

News Credits:
    Try deli meat from Whole Foods or Trader Joe's. There shouldn't be any added chemicals in those.

3. mister_e_meat

mister_e_meat Member

A LOT of service counter deli meat is chopped pressed and formed into the oval-ish shape they have. Some custom offerings are non-processed, such as homemade roast beef or ham items, usually highlighted such as "Our own homemade". The deli meats are typically from the same companies as Sara Lee, Scott Peterson, Hormel and the like, and are found on the shelf prepackaged and pre sliced. That being said, the deli meats are generally healthier choices, with less preservatives, but limited shelf life, as opposed to the prepackaged meats from the same companies. The idea is a longer shelf life for the packaged lunchmeats,to optimize retailer sales, hence all the preservatives added.

4. thenatureboywoo

thenatureboywoo Veteran

News Credits:
    I have a new product i get from the deli. Sandwich Spread. I used to eat it when i was a kid, and i now remember why i did. It's so yummy. And I would think that unless it's roast beef or ham, it's all processed. But now that I think of it, even those are processed.

5. CdnShockwave

CdnShockwave The Prince of Poses TFW2005 Supporter

I worked in a deli for two summers. You do NOT want to know the shit that went down there. Really.

6. thenatureboywoo

thenatureboywoo Veteran

News Credits:
    I often wonder if something is really good but the ingredients are just nasty if I would still like it?

7. ORIO

ORIO Plant-Based Bot Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah, I worked in a NY style deli for serveral years and... this!

We got boars head and thumans brand meats. All were basically processed and shaped into a loaf. The only thing served I would say that wasn't processed was our corned beef, roast beef and prosciutto (which was a boars leg we loaded onto the slicer). The behind the counter stuff IS better, its for sure not Oscar Meyer (and thank goodness for that). If you're looking to go healthier I recommend some Roast Turkey. :) 

EDIT: just asked my old manager and this is what he said "Yes and no. Most of it definitely is, but certain turkeys (the roasted turkey we had, pepper turkey) and some of the hams were whole pieces. The real difference is the quality of meat that's actually going into the processed product. Boars head uses corn-fed animals, which gives a better tasting and quality meat.Better meats also have less water and fillers added to them, which is why they cost more."
    and I asked what he would recommend for eating healthy and this is what he said - "Depends. All cold cuts have incredible amounts of sodium. Low sodium meats would be best, whether turkeys, hams, or roast beef. If he eats that many sandwiches a week, half should be tuna. If its only a few, cold cuts will do, but tell him to check sodium-per-serving and fat" dunno if you're eating sandwiches or goin' atkins. But I hope that helps! :) 

8. Sixshot

Sixshot Jeff Goldbluman Group

News Credits:
    Do NOT eat Bar S turkey. Talk about processed. It even says that it has been ground. Ugh.

9. Harbinger

Harbinger ecnayonnA

nothing beats having a heavily processed processed meat.

10. Sixshot

Sixshot Jeff Goldbluman Group

News Credits:
    You can always roll with potted meat food product. Mechanically separated chicken FTW.

11. transmetal2dinobot

transmetal2dinobot Sub-Commander

Ebay:
    i've worked in a deli(bane of my existance) and the general rule to follow is the more expensive, the less processed and the better for you. example: hams
    the most basic turkey(deli carve) costs 13.44/kg(convert that from AUD and kg
    into whatever currency/weightyou wish). this stuff is at most 66% turkey, and has wheat and other filler ingredients. the most expensive turkey (premium double breast) is 28.99/kg. this is 96% turkey, the rest of it made up by some spice and a small amount of preservatives.
    if you ever go to a supermarket deli, and are unsure, ask for either the nutritional info or the agreements

12. Baccala1976

Baccala1976 Well-Known Member

I worked in a deli for 2 years. Most of the meat is processed and so is the cheese. Boar's Head seems to be the best, especially their turkey. It's alittle more expensive but it is worth it in the long run.

13. FreshDebesh

FreshDebesh <b><font color=brickred>oye chak de phatte!</font> Veteran

Boar's head FTW! Their Buffalo Style Chicken and Peppermill Turkey are awesome. I remember when I lived in Brooklyn, the local deli guy used to eat low salt Boar's Head turkey and his buddy told him it tastes like tuna and laughed at him. He's right though, it really does.

14. Rewind

Rewind Be Kind TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Dude, mechanically seperated chicken isn't even the craziest part of Potted meat Food Product. I remember seeing a can years ago when I worked at a grocery store and my friends and I bought one just to pass it around during parties and laugh at the name and ingredients. What really got us on the ingredients list was the "partially de-fatted beef fatty tissue" AND 'partially de-fatted pork fatty tissue". Talk about appetizing. We didn't open the can for the longest time, and when it was finally opened one of my friends remarked that it smelled like "cat butt". :D 

As for deli meats, most of it can technically be called 'processed'. I love deli meats but I try to stear clear of them because they have so much sodium. The ones I like best are typically the chickens and turkeys that are more 'dry' like real poultry meat (another endorsement for Boars Head!) instead of the more processed ones that are shiney and slippery. Those are just flat out gross. I also really like the 'fake' deli meats made by companies like Tofurkey, but I'm not going to steer the thread that direction. :p 

15. Baccala1976

Baccala1976 Well-Known Member

Dude, I have seen some of the lower end turkey breast. F'in NASTY!

16. Superion33

Superion33 Banned

I basically asked the question because there was a study I saw that studied people over 7 years and eating highly processed luncheon meat made them 68% more likely to get cancer. Mainly because of the preservatives used which form carcinogenic compounds.

The sodium is bad for you too, but not as bad as the preservatives, specifically the nitrate preservatives. Pregnant women are recommended to stay away from it because it can potentially have fatal consequences on the newborn due to listeria.

You'd think some company out there would just have plain old fresh turkey. No preservatives, no salt, nothing at all added. I'd def buy something like that. The deli meat I just bought behind the deli counter tastes 100x better than the prepackaged stuff. I can only imagine how much better fresh, non processed, non preserved turkey would taste...

17. cromagnus

cromagnus B-boy rumble

Nasty deli fact: I worked at subway when I was 15 for about a year and a half. First off, all of their meats are actually turkey based. Ex. The Ham; actually turkey w/ ham spices. It actually says that in fine print on their menu. I quit eating meat when I turned 21 and it was the best decision I ever made. I am now 32 ,active and healthy(w/o any protein deficiencies)Nitrates abound in processed meats and cheap wines, and can cause a pretty mean headache when consumed in Bulk.
    If all 16 year olds had to work in a slaughterhouse for a summer there would be a lot less meat eating in this world.
    If people would just follow the mantra you are what you eat; and actually make an effort to find out what's being put in their food the USA would be a healthier place. Unfortunately most americans don't care or are so stubborn they refuse to listen to the facts, even when staring them cold dead in the face. The obesity rate in this country is pathetic; and it pisses me off to no end that its the kids who are suffering, and they only know what their parents tell them.
    If you want to get healthy,
    Quit fast food completely. Quit smoking. Avoid Wheat products.(#1 food filler and #1 food alllergy)Coincidence?
    Quit eating processed refined bleached sugar. It will ruin your metabolism and turn kids into ADD nightmares.
    Do not eat anything w/ Aspartame in it.(especially gum and candy)
    Do not Eat partially hydrogenated oils.
    There are enough hormones in the meat industry to change your sex and back again. I personally know a girl who was raised on sam's club chicken almost exclusively as a protein source.(cuckoo parents) She started menstruating at 11 and started to grow breasts as well.
    Take a look in any poor urban neighborhood and tell me you don't see the same thing happening rampantly to the children there.
    Get smart, educate yourself, look at european food and drug guidelines, as they are far more stringent than their american counterparts. Remember for most food companies profit is the bottom line, not ypour health.

18. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

Um, dude? That's normal.

19. toma

toma eskimo in disguise

i usually just get them to shave the meat right at the deli counter. they just shove a slab of meat into the shaver thing and wrap it for me right there.

20. toma

toma eskimo in disguise

my kid is only 9 and she's already starting to grow pit hair, so i don't think that's all too unusual.