Is defending a TF show or film that you like a good thing?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by kaijuguy19, Feb 18, 2012.

1. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

News Credits:
    This has me thinking lately.

As you know I'm a big supporter to Transformers Prime and as you know I do tend to go overboard which I am embarresed myself. However I was just trying to defend a show tht I like. Going overbaord was never my intent.

So the topic is that is there a time that you should defend a TF show or film that you love TF or otherwise? I understand that this is about opinons and I do respect that but is there really a time that defending a show IS needed? If there's an answer,sharing our experiances defending which TF show we or film we love, or a way to do it properlry I'm willing to listen.

2. Kaymac

Kaymac I'M REALLY FEELIN' IT!

Certainly not. You do go a little overboard, treating Prime as the best example of TF fiction ever, and it certainly does come close! I love Prime, actually.

I'm sure everyone would agree that defending a show is not a bad thing, but of course, you need to balance out your praise with a little bit of criticism. Constantly praising the show and never criticizing it's faults or flaws makes you appear biased.

For example, I love Prime's voice acting, character design, and plot direction, but I find it's pacing can be a little bit all over the place.

3. rxlthunder

rxlthunder Banned

News Credits:
    Not at all. If someone were to hate a show, he/she shouldn't call you out on liking it.

4. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    From my experience, things get rabid when people perceive attacks on their favorite shows to be attacks on their personal taste, and hence attacks on themselves. This perception can be conscious or unconscious. It's your job to identify it and nip it in the bud.

5. bumblebot98

bumblebot98 Banned

News Credits:
    Yes.

6. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

News Credits:
    Well I never said that Prime's the best example of TF story telling. That honor belongs to Beast Wars but yes it's certainly close though.

As much as I like Prime I do know that it has it's flaws like with it's pace,steller episodes,and let's not forget Miko's ablity to not use her head. I guess I should make an effort on pointing out it's flaws as well as it's good spots.

Like you I think the voice acting,character desgin and plot direction is top notch.:thumb 

7. The Madness

The Madness News Credits: -13

I guess one thing to consider is... what are you defending it from?

The opinion of an individual on the internet isn't really going to cause any harm to the series. Quite honestly, people who purport to defend a show/ movie, or other element they like, are protecting nothing but the perceived legitimacy of their own personal opinion.

It sucks to have people disagree with you about something you feel strongly about, but it happens to everyone. Especially on the internet.

I really enjoy Prime, and don't think it requires defending. It's merits are obvious to a large audience.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2012
  8. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

It's one of those things of degrees.

For example if someone said the live action films were the worst movies ever made then it's not going overboard to point out why they aren't the worst movies ever made. You can even be rather reasonable about why something worked for you as a viewer that didn't work for someone else.

But if you start taking other people's criticism personally then it's gone too far. Or if you start labeling someone as not being "a true fan" for not liking something then it's too far.

It's a bit like the difference between asking someone to apologize for insulting your girlfriend and just punching someone in the face because you felt like they offended your girlfriend with their remark. One action is being a gentleman and the other is going to jail.

9. Sy-Rein

Sy-Rein Rogue Stunticon

News Credits:
    I think it's good to defend a show that you honestly really like, however keep in mind that you're not going to sway everyone's opinion and you just have to accept that others may feel differently about the things that you like.

For example I "hate" country music but obviously there is a large percentage of the population that love it. Country music lovers can defend their music all they want but will never get me to like the music. Of course I don't go around attacking country music all the time either, although I feel free to express my opinion if the topic is brought up.

10. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    Defending is okay, but keep it respectful and non-confrontational.

Actively seeking out anyone who disagrees with you and hijacking a topic to turn it into a you vs. them argument is bad.

11. Challenger

Challenger Loves Bumblebee

News Credits:
    I think defending something you like (show, movie, character, etc.) is perfectly fine as long as you don't go overboard with it.

12. Jumping Cliffs

Jumping Cliffs Active Member

Debating is > arguing.

Once someone starts arguing it becomes an exercise in futility.

13. TheDemonDzko

TheDemonDzko °-{[●□●]}-° {Beep. Boop.)

There is nothing wrong with being open about your love of something, however there is a time and place for love profession.

It just depends on the conversation, and tonal value.

Or you could be weird...and just like Transformers of all kinds. =D

14. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    It all depends on HOW you defend something you like, in shows, films, or anything else in life. Are you countering arguments with well-reasoned and evidence-backed fact? Are you explaining your attachment to the subject in question in terms of why it matters to you? Are you accepting to criticism of the subject, especially when IT is backed with evidence or subjective explanation? Are you willing to laugh at the subject and not take it seriously?

Are you instead asserting that the subject in question is perfect, and that any criticism against it is unacceptable? Are you taking negative comments about the subjects as negative comments towards you personally, and are you attacking other people with personal comments instead of logic and/or open-minded discussion? Are you posting your opinions in only a few words, peppered with expletives, hyperbole, and no real content for the body of the discussion?

If you're doing the former, it IS a good thing. If you're doing the latter, knock it off.

15. SuperJazz

SuperJazz Dictator of my Dimension

Yeah, I try not go overboard in real life, but it's a bit hard to do so. :redface2: 

And as long as you don't flip out and TYPE LIKE THIS throughout the entire "debate", if you do then it's a problem. And if you call someone every vulgar word in the English dictionary and some in an entire different language, then yeah it's a real big problem.

16. Optimus1138

Optimus1138 Minecraft Addict

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    As long as you don't go way over the top with it, of course it's fine to defend a show or movie you like.

17. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    The proper way to defend a show is to describe its good points, and maybe to put its weaker elements into a context that helps non fans or people who weren't around at the time the show was on to understand the reasons for them and where the series was coming from.

The IMPROPER way to defend a TF show is to prop your favorite show up by tearing down another TF show. That doesn't make your show look better; it makes YOU look worse.

Also, avoid creepy fixations on fictional characters if you can help it. Creepy fixations can give people a negative image of a show and its fans. Because it's...you know... creepy.

18. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Yes. I just don't like it when your discussion hijack all the threads Kaiju. you make threads 3 or 4 more pages longer than it needs to be.

Prime is a good show but still not at BW or TFA's level. Maybe it's because of Miko and the deus ex machina plot devices.

19. Wars

Wars Regular At Swerve's™

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Flickr:
    Tumblr:
    Agreed, but you shouldn't call them out for not liking it either.

There's a debating defence, and then there's arguing defence. There's nothing wrong with having a debate about the quality, but you look like an over obsessed lunatic when you start arguing with people over a show, or a movie, or anything like that.

20. FatalT 71

FatalT 71 Mr. JazzHunter

News Credits:
    The thing is, why should you care what other people think?

Like what you want, even if no one else does. If you think Energon is the greatest TF show ever produced, go with it. And it's fine to defend it as long as you can keep your disagreement to civilized discourse. Don't feed the trolls that are just trying to get under your skin.