Is death necessary in the Transformers universe?

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by 1984forever, May 2, 2012.

?

Should Transformers be killed?

Poll closed May 9, 2012.
  1. Yes

28 vote(s)
    87.5%
  2. No

2 vote(s)
    6.3%
  3. Yes, but only if they are around Alpha Trion's age

2 vote(s)
    6.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. 1984forever

1984forever Banned

In the early drafts of the Transformers storyline it said that the 2 factions were at war for millions of years, yet there was no loss of life. Transformers are different from other characters because-

You can dismember them

You can behead them

Blow a hole through their chests

Or blow them to bits

-and then bring them back without them being crippled. With all the ways to show that a character is in bad shape, why is it necessary to kill the character?

2. Star Saber

Star Saber Cybertron 5th Commander

News Credits:
    Originally, it was used as a reason to phase them out and sell new toys. Of course Hasbro later realized a better strategy - new versions of the popular characters, no need to force feed new characters as much! So now its a combination of story driven death and toy marketing.

3. Jaicen

Jaicen Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I enjoy the comics because there was the possibility that characters might get killed. Without peril, there's no tension or drama, so yes,death is absolutely necessary.

Looking forward to Regeneration, Simon says that if you die, you stay dead, can't wait!

On a related note, LSOTW is one of my favourite recent works because the characters die in stupid, pointless ways, which is how it is in real life. We can't all go out like Roadbuster eh Pyro ;) 

4. Kakashi

Kakashi Well-Known Member

A war story loses alot of its drive without death. Sure, when you look at the potential for immortality our favorite Bots have, it seems appealing. I mean, why kill a character thus eliminating their story potential?

Well... think about it this way. If there was no way to kill a Transformer, then why resort to violence at all? What is the point of blowing a guy up if you'll just meet him on the battlefield next week?

You COULD always cripple a bot, abduct him, and bring him back as one of your own. Assimilation squads could be just as chilling as death squads. But then, we want which badge the characters wear to be a choice.

Ultimately, death is the easiest to understand way to add gravity to your story. We fight Megatron or he kills us all. Ect.

5. 1984forever

1984forever Banned

I felt the peril in Marvel Transformers #3 when Gears faced Megatron. But it was more like, if the Autobots lose then no one is coming back to repair Gears. So basically he is dead. Another example is #5 when all the Autobots were held deactivated in the ark by Shockwave with only Ratchet remaining. Readers were like "how in the hell is Ratchet going to pull this off"? He's a doctor, not a warrior. If Ratchet didn't succeed all the Autobots were going to get cut up and used as spare parts... basically dead. These were stories that got the reader involved without actually killing anyone.

6. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Hammer of the Gunplas

When used properly, death can be a powerful narrative tool to really drive a story. Such as in Armada, when Starscream actually sacrifices himself to stop the Autobot/Decepticon conflict simply so they'll look up and notice Unicron as the TRUE threat.

Plus, they've kinda been fighting a universal-sized civil war for millions of years in almost every continuity, kind hard to do that and NOT have somebody killed.

7. tusko

tusko Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Flickr:
    Yes.
    At it's heart, Transformers is a War comic.

That said, they should be VERY hard to kill. I'm not a fan of this "spark" concept, or any of the mysticism in Transformers.

Originally TF was a resource war; these bots were running out of spare parts and running on empty. They weren't supposed to be at full strength, EVER. Thus battle would put most in stasis, while only very few were ever really lost.

8. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I LOVE the sparks. I want them to be life forms, not robots.

But yeah others have said it well. The potential for death drives drama.

9. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Hammer of the Gunplas

But the theme song clearly states they're "robots in disguise", and in the first live action movie Prime says they're "autonomous robotic life forms". Can't really say they're not robots when the series clearly touts them around as robots for the past 27+ years.

10. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I recall the passage more as "no loss of life as we would reckon, for these inhabitants are not truly alive."

Jim Shooter wasn't setting up a universe where Transformers couldn't be destroyed.

Even in the Marvel universe, where death was largely reversible with sufficient resources, you had characters that were blown away so thoroughly they weren't coming back. How the hell would you even put Emirate Xaaron back together again? Or some of the bots Unicron stepped on?

11. dj_convoy II

dj_convoy II Remix!

News Credits:
    I dunno. It's awful overused of late. Realistically, it's pretty hard to permanently put down a Transformer unless they've been obliterated somehow. There's always back ups of personalities(crystals and floppy disks), brain modules, sparks, etc.

12. Infosaur

Infosaur Well-Known Member

I'm going to point out Prime as a counter point, with the exception of Cliffjumper and Dreadwing, it's relatively "bloodless".

(which is frankly annoying as all the TF's seem to have gone to the Stormtrooper School of Marksmanship!)

13. Jaicen

Jaicen Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ermm, Breakdown would like a word with you.