Is Cybertron a collector line?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Satan Santa, Aug 24, 2006.

1. Satan Santa

Satan Santa Knows you've been naughty

I'm just wonderin'... how many collectors are pickin' up Cybertron toys, and watching the show, compared to lines geared more towards people like us, such as Alternators and Classics?

And for those of you who are... is it worth getting into? I've never seen an episode. I was thinking about getting more involved in that line while we wait for the movie.

2. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot Arise Rodimus Prime

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    The Cybertron toys are really nice actually and there are some pretty good homages to G1. Also the Cybertron line has the first appearance of Primus as a toy. Primus is a MUST buy for any collector. The show is great, I liked it anyway :p  Alot of fans do say it is the best show since Beast Wars, I don't know what that means to you though.

3. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Megatron? Is that you!?!?

Yeah, I have bought the majority of the line. It is the best line of transformers in a while.

4. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Super Mod

News Credits:
    While I wouldn't really call it a collector's line, it certainly is the best we've had in a while... I'd consider Alternators more of a collector's line...

I myself got pretty much all of the Galaxy Force side and filled in Cybertron where it was needed...

5. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    While I can definately see the collectibility, I consider the Alternators line a modler/kitbasher's line, but maybe that's just me . . . :lol 

6. Omegatron

Omegatron Mandatory Fun. Buy it now TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    As far as mainline TFs go, this has been the best line...possibly ever. There are only 1 or 2 toys I would consider bad in the line (I'm looking at you, Brimstone), and only a couple as 'meh' (Mudflap, Quickmix, Thundercracker). Most range from good to great, for me. Some real gems in the line include little Armorhide, Red Alert, Cybertron Defense Scattorshot, Wing Saber, Optimus, and Primus. The LOCs and new minicon teams are some of the best in their size class. At any rate, they're better than the Titaniums have been. The show is also tolerable, especially after about the first 7 episodes.

-Tony!

7. MagiRanger

MagiRanger Banned

Ebay:
    Most of my collection is from Cybertron (which isn't saying much) but the stuff I own and the majority of stuff I want is pretty damn cool. As for the show, i'd avoid that and just watch Galaxy Force^^ Its a damn good show.

8. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

I wouldn't call something a "collector's line" unless it's meant specifically for collectors, which Cybertron is not. It's a kid's line. However, it is designed to also appeal to collectors as an additional smaller market. The toys are generally of very high quality and there are a number of nice nods to older incarnations of the brand.

I wouldn't bother watching the U.S. version of the show unless you've already seen Armada and Energon, since it was re-written to be a direct sequel to those. The Japanese version, which you can download with subtitles from TV-Nihon, is made as a standalone story that you can watch without any knowledge of the previous two lines. For something primarily written as a cartoon for kids, it's quite nice. I personally like it better than the Beast Wars cartoon, but most fans would probably disagree with me.

9. Motor_Master

Motor_Master Lets the balls touch TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    The cybertron line has been one of the best TF toy lines on the market from a fan's perspective. If your thinking about getting into collecting some cybertron figures, I would recommend buying a couple of the following figures and seeing how you like them:

Hotshot/Excellion
    Crosswise
    Armorhide
    Hardtop/Swindle
    Ransack

Optimus Prime (leader size not deluxe size)

10. Satan Santa

Galaxay Force is not the same show? Interesting.

And does the show really deteriorate after 7 eps? I don't want to commit to watching something that I'm going to be disappointed in :) 

11. Fairy Princess

Fairy Princess Banned

I have MOST of Cybertron, Really only missing Evac (which I still REALLY need) and Leobreaker 9who I don't really want) and several repaints. But I have one of almost all the molds.

12. MagiRanger

MagiRanger Banned

Ebay:
    Cybertron is more than a straight dub of Galaxy Force, since they tried to shoe-horn it into continuity with the previous two shows. I just consider Galaxy Force to be the superior version.

The show is consistently good IMO, it kinda drags in some parts (Speedia) but I never really found myself bored.

13. Satan Santa

Thanks, that really answers the questions I had. I really wanted to know how many Cybertron toys you had.

14. Satan Santa

That's good to know. So it was meant to be less connected to the previous lines.

Now the question is... can it be obtained? And if so, will it work in my American DVD player?

15. Razerwire

News Credits:
    I do believe you can get them at TVNihon...

As far as the toyline goes, I think the only mainline that will trump it will be Classics... But that's just me...

16. Fairy Princess

Fairy Princess Banned

Since I have such impeccable taste as a collector sugah it should...

17. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot Arise Rodimus Prime

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Just go to the showcase forum part of this site and look at a few collections.

18. MagiRanger

MagiRanger Banned

Ebay:
    The only two ways to watch Galaxy Force are to download the fansubs from Tv-Nihon or buy the Japanese DVDs which are unsubbed, probably won't work in your DVD player, and will cost you 4 arms and a leg.

19. Razerwire

News Credits:
    Or click on part two of my sig...:p 

20. Satan Santa

Cute. Might be sad, but that actually made me laugh :) 

So what's happening with MMPR these days? Is there anything big like a movie coming around the bend, or is it fizzling out?

Back to the topic - I guess downloading it is the way to go. I'd rather watch on my system, so maybe I'll finally have to figure out how to make a VCD.