Is Collecting Stupid?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by tony77tony77, Jan 17, 2011.

1. tony77tony77

tony77tony77 Well-Known Member

Is Collecting Transformers/Toys Stupid and a wast of time? I showed a lot of my friends my collection. Lots of them thinks its cool but also some of my friends think its stupid and "gay". My collection makes my happy and thats all that matters but some of them said my toys are stupid n it kinda gets to me. One of my friend said I'm the real 40 year old Virgin but she was just kidding around. Anyways what do you guys think about it? Anyone ever said ur collection is stupid?

2. Overhaulimus

Overhaulimus Sword of Fury!

News Credits:
    If it makes YOU happy, then that's all that matters.

Noone has ever said that my collection was stupid, and if they did, well they'd picking up their teeth.

3. NexusZero

NexusZero 強度の、勇気の愛、平和。

Meh, I don't really give a shit what my friends say.

I mean, really? Were all trying to get "here" wherever "here" is, varies for people, does it really matter what you collect along the way? Some people collect stamps, others collect TF's, it doesn't really matter what the fucking hell other people think.

Wow, I'm done. Bye.

4. ThaConqueror

ThaConqueror Rock! Robot Rock!

If someone says that your collection is stupid (and it's not in a jokey kind of way), ignore it. You're free to do whatever the hell you want with your time and money, as is anyone else.

If some says that your collection is "gay", feel free to punch them in the face. No offence to your friends, but people using that word as a synonym for "sucks" really irks me.

5. Brainchild

Brainchild Dark Flame Master

Do I find it stupid? Absolutely. Does it make me happy? Definitely. Do I take it to heart when someone calls toy collecting stupid? I weep into a pillow for hours on end.

6. orionprime

orionprime <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and

Like you said it makes you happy and that is truly what matters, not others opinions. Some of my friends have ripped on me for my collection but I never think twice about it. Everyone has a hobby that makes them happy and this is what we chose. the Only time it becomes stupid is if you neglect the important things like bills, chores, work, people ect.. in favor of you collecting.

7. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Out of curiosity, are your friends 14?

8. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    It is quite stupid. Best to admit it.

9. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha TFW2005 Supporter

Co-signed. I look forward to that particular bit of slang passing out of circulation.

Anyhow, to the original topic, uh... I suspect you will get a pretty biased response asking this question on a board that is essentially devoted to Transformers collecting. We may not be the most subjective group of people on this matter.

But I'll just echo what others are saying and say, don't sweat it. It makes you happy, and it shouldn't matter what other people think of it. Own your nerdity, don't be ashamed of it. Hobbies, by nature, are quirky and not accessible to everyone. Just take pleasure in your hobby and try not to be a weirdo; the more normal, sensible toy collectors there are around, the less non-collectors will slap stereotypes on us.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2011
  10. Dran0n

Dran0n Junk male

News Credits:
    I take it quite personally. I-it hurts me on the inside. I cry ... for hours and hours.

Haloid punched a dude that said TFs were "gay". He's full of crap, though.

11. tony77tony77

no they are in their 30's

12. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Reason Has No Voice

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Me thinks you need new friends.

13. tony77tony77

LOL me too!!!

14. Jetbolt

Jetbolt Maximal Air Commander

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Flickr:
    I could care less what others might think about something I spend my own money on. In your case, your the one that spent the money on something you like. As long as you like it, that all that matters. If your friends gives you heck for it, find other friends.

15. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Reason Has No Voice

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Not to sound like an after school special, but if they were really your friends they'd respect your hobby regardless of how 'dumb' they feel it is. It really is none of their business.

16. AutoCon2076

AutoCon2076 Brightest can in toolshed

A lot of the people I hang out with are nothing like myself. Nearly all of them that have come into my room are blown back by the sheer amount of plastic awesomeness. Even those who don't care for toys were impressed by what they saw. I never really had anyone call it stupid. Childish sure, but not stupid. If you want to explain why you collect it can sometimes change their perspective on it.

Personally I don't think I need to explain myself to someone who knows me well enough to be in my house - let alone my room. If you do, than as stated on the other page, you might want to get new friends. I'd rather spend $10 on a Generations figure instead of going to a bar and (literally) pissing it away.

~Z

17. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

People collect all sorts of things. Comic books, stamps, coins, baseball cards, shoes, the list is almost endless. With all those different collectors there is someone out there that thinks what they collect is weird.

But collecting toys ain't such a bad thing. It's not like people who do drugs to get a bit of enjoyment out of life or do something that hurts themselves or others to have a good time. As long as you aren't going over board and spending the utility money or grocery money on toys then it's just harmless enjoyment.

Besides people need something a little bit different about them to keep from being those boring people when they get older. The geeks seem to be taking over the world so why would anyone want to be normal any more?

18. tony77tony77

they don't give me shit about it at all, one of them said its stupid and "gay" once. He haven't said anything about it since.

19. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    I've had people diss it and laugh-but I dont care, I think its fun and awesome and I get a kick out of it. I mean there are worse habbits-smoking, for example, is one i bring up alot. thats something else people spend money on tt people consider normal. but at the end of the day, they spen 10 bucks on cigarettes which will be gone by the end of the week. i spent 10 bucks on Jazz, who I'll have for quite some time. who's wasting money?

20. Cyber-Scream

Cyber-Scream Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    A lot of things are stupid. You just need to accept the stupidness.

Yeah really. A 30 year old calling your hobby "gay" is a little immature, unless hes just messing around. My brother calls my collection gay sometimes but hes just joking.