Is Classics prime going to be Re-issued?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by CommanderMayhem, Jul 15, 2011.

1. CommanderMayhem

CommanderMayhem New Member

Hello all!

I've been a long time TF fan but I'm slowly drifting back in, the second movie, I drifted off and I hadn't bought a transformer in the longest time, but I've become kinda, rekindled.

So, the prize I was always seeking and still am, is the Henkei/Classics Optimus Prime.

I've been gone for a long time, has it been re-issued in any new waves or anyhting? I'm perfectly happy buy it online but I'd prefer, like, not.

Oh, and first post on the boards on the new account. I used to be called Wazzpinator but lord knows what the password for that was.

2. GrimlockAutobot

GrimlockAutobot Volcanicus Torso

News Credits:
    Somewhere Wearing The Dinobots As Gloves & Boots
    I hope so....HasTak has repainted/retooled the hell out of alot of the molds in the Classics line.

The Classics Prime mold is the only one that hasn't gotten as much mainstram love as alot of the others.....and idk why.

While most of the molds that have been repainted/retooled have gotten both exclusive and mainstream editions, the Classics Prime mold's repaints have almost always been exclusives.

A nice G1-inspired repaint of the Classics Prime mold would be great. ARE YOU LISTENING HASBRO??

3. Dr. Grimlockisking

Dr. Grimlockisking Twitter @GrimlockIsKing

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    While it would be nice, I doubt it happens. They've done three repaints (UM, NP, and SG Prime) and I doubt they will be looking to use it more, especially since all the movie Primes seem to be getting the repaints now.

4. Shinobi Rendar

Shinobi Rendar Artobot

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Henkei Prime has being re-issued by Takara not too long ago. I got mine last year for around $60 shipped. I doubt they might re-issue the classics but you never know... Look at Hot-Rod. I'd say go with Henkei. It's not too hard too find and IMO the deco looks so much better than classics.

5. Star Saber

Star Saber Cybertron 5th Commander

News Credits:
    Hasbro's priority would be to give more shelf space to the movie and TF Prime. While I love the Classics line, it's not really looking likely they'll re-issue that Prime again.

6. GrimlockAutobot

News Credits:
    I think you're right.....in the classics line, Bumblebee and Prime have a very low number of repaints compared to the others.

Why is that? Probably because HasTak doesn't want the Classics versions of the characters interfering with the stars of the movie-verse.

I think after all of this movie stuff dies down for a while, we may see more of Classics Prime.

3 repaints (UM, NP, and SG) is a VERY low number for such an iconic character especially when HasTak has been releasing so many different versions of some of the other molds.

Can someone out there give us a breakdown of all of the repaints/retools in the classics line by character? THANKS!!

I would do it but, I'm sure I'll miss alot of them.

7. Squints

Squints Well-Known Member

To be honest, if anything I'd rather they give us a new Classics-styled Voyager OP, preferably one that doesn't have massive door chunks hanging from his arms, and maybe has some foot articulation. As much as I like the Classics OP mold, I feel it hasn't aged all too well.

8. GrimlockAutobot

News Credits:
    I agree.

9. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    ^seconded

10. Dr. Grimlockisking

Dr. Grimlockisking Twitter @GrimlockIsKing

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    @Squints great point. With the scaling down of the original MP prime to voyager sized, I'm fairly confident Has/Tak could give us a more representative version of the character.

as far as a list of repaint/retools, here's what I can remember off the top of my head:

Original Mold: Repaints
    Optimus Prime: SDCC Nemesis Prime, Ultra Magnus, SG Optimus Prime
    Grimlock: SE Overkill, SG Grimlock
    Bumblebee: Cliffjumper, Legacy of Bee Three Pack, RTS Bumblebee, Botcon Bugbite
    Universe Blades: Universe Springer
    Ironhide: Ratchet
    Starscream: Thundercracker, Skywarp, SG Thundercracker, Acid Storm
    Ramjet: Thrust, Dirge, G2 Ramjet
    Hot Rod: BiS Rodimus, SG Rodimus, TFCC Sideburn
    Sideswipe: Sunstreaker, Red Alert, TFCC Punch/Counterpunch
    Onslaught: Hardhead
    Dropshot: Overload, Botcon Flak
    Battle for Ages Optimus: SE Optimus
    Battle for Ages Megatron: SE Megatron
    Mirage: Botcon Mirage, SE Drag Strip, TFTM Fracture
    Jetfire: Treadbolt, Botcon Dreadwind
    Cyclonus: BiS Cyclonus
    WFC Bumblebee: WFC Cliffjumper
    Leo Prime: Red Leo Prime, Botcon Razorclaw

I know I'm missing a bunch more, but that's all the US Releases I can think of right now

11. Blitz.

Blitz. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    *thinks classics prime is still totally boss*

for me I dont see what not wait for the movie line to slow down and pump him out in a movie deco or something crazy or as part of the next classics batch I mean how many BB's has their been 5 or so counting japanese releases

really its one of those designs I just cant see myself ever not owning at least 1 copy.

12. process

process Hanlon's razor Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    The mold is 5 years old. I wouldn't be surprised if it gets retired in favor of newer molds, and I'm curious to see if the movie franchise slowing down will affect the development of new Classics/Generations figures, versus repaints.

13. Raiju

Raiju Navel Shocker Veteran

News Credits:
    Flickr:
    I just picked up a Henkei Prime for $65 shipped. A re-release for much cheaper would make me a sad panda. XD But he looks cool enough for it, but the stylized aesthetic isn't for everyone, I'm sure.

I just got him because his truck mode looks decent, plus I have an extra ion rifle left over from PP01 Faith Leader I can give him along with the light up blue LED part from TFC-005 Gear of War set. That and I picked up Henkei Megatron for relatively cheap too, and there's a serious lack of G1-ish Megs to go along with Prime (I don't care for the scale and stability issues that come with MP-05).

14. PoweredConvoy

PoweredConvoy Randy

News Credits:
    I doubt it just because they've moved on to newer molds for Optimus, and a redeco of a 2006 Voyager mold (even though it's Optimus) doesn't seem likely at this point.

Best bet is to try to find a good deal online.

Randy

15. EightiesKid

EightiesKid G1 archivist

News Credits:
    I'm not a huge fan of the Classics Prime. I was a bit disappointed when it came out back in 2007. Like some have said here, the massive door chunks on his arm are distracting, and take away from the toy in my opinion. It's a decent toy overall, but I'd love to see them take another crack at giving us a classics-type update of G1 Optimus.

16. ryan.j

ryan.j Well-Known Member

With the exception of mp prime, rotf leader who don't count (and possibly tfa earthmode delux prime who divides opinion like a hot knife through butter) classics prime is the best trukk we've ever had. I actually like his doorarms too, but i'm weird.

Would be delighted if they bettered it, would be satisfied if they reissued like the korean reissues fairly recently.

17. G1Prowl

G1Prowl Prick, apparently

News Credits:
    It all depends, on how long the Movie toys, sell. I'd be, all for it if it meant, that a Diaclone blue Prime was released. And no I, don't count the knock off. Some secrets, should stay secrets.

I swear I'm going to make website dedicated solely to correct comma use and link it in every thread that goes overboard.

In all seriousness, a reissue/slight redeco wouldn't seem plausible until after the Movie toy hype dies down. This is when we tend to see the homages pick up speed, and with Bumblebee getting two slight redecos in two or three years the possibility of someone like Prime getting reissued is better than some of the more obscure characters that have been hinted at. But once again I only support a reissue if it leads to Diaclone goodness.

18. Rotorstorm

Rotorstorm Wreck n’ rule

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Actually, besides maybe Mirage I'd say classics prime has aged the best out of the classics toys. Jetfire, Rodimus, Astrotrain and Starscream have aged quite far worse if you ask me.

19. theestampede

theestampede Wandering Artist

News Credits:
    Completely agree. The classics mold is alright, but much like most the figures from the original classics line, they went out of date fast. A new prime with an actual square cab, who is much taller and lankier without all the kibble in robot mode shouldn't be hard to do.

He hasn't aged as badly as rodimus and a few of the other classics, but he really deserves a new figure.

20. PowermasterJazz

PowermasterJazz Well-Known Member

I got Classic Optimus when he first came out at TRU. He's my favorite Optimus toy.