Is Calvin's Transmogrifier Gun a Walther p38?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Phorpus, Mar 24, 2007.

1. Phorpus

Phorpus RHco.

I know it's a long shot but I was reading through my Calvin and Hobbes treasuries when Calvin's transmogrifier gun caught my eye with its jutting straight barrel. So I started to thinking on whether it could, however unlikely, be based on a Walther P38.

In the comic the gun is just an ordinary water pistol but, in later strips, most of the water pistols Calvin uses are ray gun-shaped and unmistakably un-gun like. And considering the strip was created during the middle of the 80's and the height of the Transformers craze it is somewhat poetic that a Transforming gun is what Calvin uses to transmogrify, or "Transform", things.

And if there are any gun enthusiasts out there, are there any other guns that bear resemblance?

I scanned a few images below, not the best quality though.

[​IMG]

2. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    looks just like a generic water gun from back in the day to me, and it did to me back then too. I own every book of them Bill ever printed. Every year, if we get a good enough snow, I flip through and pick a calvin-inspired snowman to make. people driving by always stare at them I must say!

3. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

It could be based on a P38, but it looks a lot like it could be based on a Luger (or derived from anyway)...

Lugers were without question the most iconic and identifiable handguns of my childhood... even more so than the Colt 45. Not only were they ubiquitous to WWII themed comic books, movies and pop culture, but I think Lugers must have been one of the most common base designs used for water guns. It's not an exact match, but it wouldn't surprise me if Waterson took that as his model.

zmog

4. Triformis

Triformis Insecticon Fanatic TFW2005 Supporter

I say Luger too, but I'm not too gun savvy.

5. Hobbes-timus Prime

Hobbes-timus Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    In my professional opinion: "Maybe."

6. Omnibus Prime

Omnibus Prime I'm too old for this shit TFW2005 Supporter

'Every' book? Pah! There can be only one..er..well, three. :p 

[​IMG]

7. Sidecutter

Sidecutter Evil Dealer Scum TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Definately looks like a Luger to me as well.

8. KidDynamite

KidDynamite don't know nothing Veteran

Watterson was a stickler for detail, so there's little doubt he modeled it on something. Whether it was the Megatron toy and/or a Walther is a good question. It doesn't really look enough like one to me; my guess is that it was modeled after a generic water pistol, but who knows.