Is Bumblebee working?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by aledromo, Feb 27, 2012.

1. aledromo

aledromo Decepticon at the Gate

He dominates every case, then warms every shelf. He is the focus of the fiction, but doesn't even speak. Is this actually working? Do the numbers back up such a Bee heavy business plan?

2. rxlthunder

rxlthunder Banned

News Credits:
    No. Just walk into any Target, Bumblebee's everywhere. Mine at least has Nitro's, Cyberfire and RID Bumblebee's just sitting there, doing absolutely nothing.

3. firehawc_69

firehawc_69 cloppers = ignore list

News Credits:
    Your generalizations are exactly that. It's obviously working, otherwise they wouldn't keep doing it.

4. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It seems to be working around here. For most stores, there really isn't that many Bumblebees. Cyberfire probably the most common. I'd guess because he doesn't look like a normal Bee so people pass him over for a more movie accurate one. Some Nitros. You really have to look to find the regular BB. Most DOTM figures are the Ratchets, Sideswipes, Wreckers, Jolts & others. If BB wasn't selling and the amount he is shipped in, he would the most common figure.

5. Shatterpoint

Shatterpoint Neato

News Credits:
    Of course it is, the kids love Bumblebee, it's just that they don't want to disturb his awesomeness by picking him up off the shelves and buying him.

6. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    Exactly.

It's sort of why the Honda Civic is always "lotwarming" in dealerships. Even if a small (and as much as I hate to say this, but irrelevant) group of enthusiasts don't like it, it doesn't change the fact that near guaranteed availability is needed for cars like that because they're leaders in their industry. Plus, I don't even like the character & I have multiples, and the same is probably true for most collectors too.

7. EvaUnit13

EvaUnit13 REBUILD

Could also describe a plethora of Nintendo game protagonists, and those seem to be selling well.

8. Kaymac

Kaymac I'M REALLY FEELIN' IT!

He warms all the shelves around here, nothing but Bee. I don't think it's working. Kids just don't want Bee. I think having Bee as the focus of Wave 1 is enough to keep him on shelves without any subsequent repaints, as each one just adds to the problem.

Kids love Bee, they just aren't going to buy every single POS Bee that Hasbro throws out.

9. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    People keep saying this, yet I never see it. Yes, he dominates every case, but he sells through at every TRU or Target within 30 miles of me, at least.

Yes, there are a lot of times when I'll visit a TRU and see slim pickings. Almost empty pegs with maybe only a Leadfoot, a Jolt, and 3 Bumblebees. But when I stop by again a couple days later, those 3 Bumblebees are gone. Pretty much every time.

Then the pegs get restocked, and yeah there is always a higher percentage of BBs than any other character. And yeah, when it gets back down to the last few toys left on those pegs, Bumblebee is usually one of the last stragglers.

But then he sells.

As others point out, there is a reason Hasbro packs the cases the way they do. Because that is what the stores want to buy from them. Because that is what the stores know they will sell to kids.

10. 0MEGATR0N

0MEGATR0N Robot/Gladiator

optimus and bee both warm the pegs here,1 word...overproduced!

11. Kaymac

Kaymac I'M REALLY FEELIN' IT!

For me, almost everywhere I go it's Bee, Bee, Bee. There may be some other guy hiding behind him, but I can find all three versions of the DOTM around here somewhere. All the Prime FE Deluxes I see are Bee. And it usually stays this way. I guess everyone around here is tired of Bee, or I have a primarily collector market? Who knows.

12. TrueNomadSkies

News Credits:
    That's because we live in pretty much the retirement capital of Canada. The only people other than us who buy this shit are like 2-3 collectors & random Grandparents. As such, we rarely ever get repeats of things other than wave 1 that TRU can order for basically nothing & what the retards at Zellers think they can sell at 2 times market value, so how these places even move enough stock here to avoid going out of business is still a surprise to me.

(ok, maybe that's a slight exaggeration hah, but I don't think our shit town is really worth considering in the grand scheme of things)

13. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    but he's the only one worth getting! (out of all 3 movies!)

14. TrueNomadSkies

News Credits:
    The shiny battle ops one is cool too (if nothing else to keep in alt mode), and it also comes with a gold chrome legends figure. Speaking of alt modes, I also don't mind the Target exclusive one, and Nitro Bumblebee/Battle Blades Bumblebee are also tolerable.

Oh yeah, and the FE Bee that comes in the Entertainment Pack grabbed my interest too.

15. tfprime32

tfprime32 Banned

News Credits:
    BB is every like u said my. Target/Walmart / toysrus has only bb
    I can't stand him he is a nice character on the movie but hasbro spends way to much time on bb!!!!

Hypthithly....what will happed if bb failed (no likes him and likes idont know ratchet?)

16. TrueNomadSkies

News Credits:
    If Bumblebee failed, then my guess is that he'd either be replaced, and or the franchise would revert back to a smaller collector-based fandom. It would pretty much be like all the other things that're relevant in Japan to some extent, but not so much in Stateside mass retail.

... or maybe our case ratios wouldn't suck as much ass, but you know haha.

17. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Despite Bumblebee toys being predominant in each case, they still sell very well. There may be a few that shelfwarm, but so are other figures.

However, the leader class Bumblebee toys took a VERY long time to sell out here. I have to say that I'm really tired of the same characters in multiple class sizes. I really long for the days where a line gets one figure per size class. No "Super Duper Powered" versions redecoed, no multiple classes of figures that don't work well together - one, cohesive toyline that has an array of characters spread out.

18. TrueNomadSkies

News Credits:
    I'm with you there, and even when scale was messed up, at least the toys had their own scale continuity of sorts. This meant that regardless of what you bought, it sort of fit with your other guys, and the best attributes of each character could usually be put into a single thing without making another version look like crap.

19. mrdecepticon

mrdecepticon Decepticon Leader

He does sell,but im sick of him.

20. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Yep!

However, I totally see the reasoning as to why Hasbro does what it does. A popular character in each size class nearly guarantees that Character X will continually be available to the consumer. Also, I notice this especially during Christmas time that the parents are looking for "Optimus Prime' and "Bumblebee".

Still, I enjoy a toyline that fits together as a whole. Maybe kids today are different, but I DISTINCTIVELY remember being excited when the 1985 cast came out, along with '86 and '87. I think Hasbro did a very clever thing with the 1984 cast when the 1985 line was released. However, the packaging maintaining a consistent look to it really helped continue on the 1984 cast.