Is botcon Scorch considered a G2 figure?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Steroid Prime, Mar 21, 2012.

1. Steroid Prime

Steroid Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Is botcon Scorch considered a G2 figure like the botcon G2 redux box set figures or is he a G1 figure that fits in more with the regular classics line up?

2. Girl Pants

Girl Pants aka brickonator

News Credits:
    I personally display him with the G2 Redux crowd. He never appeared in any of the Botcon fiction (to my knowledge) so there's no definite answer though.

However, I feel he fits the "theme" of G2 Redux taking late G1 and G2 dudes and giving them the classics makeover. If nothing else, you can put him with his Turbomaster buddy Thunderclash (who I also keep on my G2 redux shelf).

3. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That's kinda what bugged me about that BotCon theme, in just how few actual G2 figures made the cut.

We got Rapido, but none of his Axelerator buddies, or even a Skyscorcher rival. We got Street Star, an homage to a G2 toy that was never released. And then everybody else was "Euro G1", as if to enforce the stereotype that everything neon and full of loud, clashing colourschemes was G2. Despite the crazy neon colourschemes being more endemic of Euro G1 than it ever was in G2 (G2 was more about funky tampo prints, with loud colours contrasted against otherwise more traditional colourschemes).

And then Sky-Byte, for no other reason than just because.

4. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    Don't forget Breakdown. The OTHER unreleased G2 guy.

5. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    Scorch has always been a G1.5 toy for me, as that kinda settles the conflicting arguments.

6. G1_Cindersaur

G1_Cindersaur Banned

News Credits:
    we got pink sharkticons dammit! that screams G2...um no it does not...got no more defenses...that box set sucked ass except for skybyte and the sharks

7. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    Hhahah

Pinkticons.

8. Lbsammills51

Lbsammills51 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I threw Scorch in with my G2 stuff just because that's where I'll put my G1.5 stuff anyways due to a lack of room and I think some of the G1.5 stuff was rereleased later on in G2 itself....but yeah technically he's more a G1.5 character than G2.

I'm down for another G2 themed Botcon set, especially if they plan on using more actual G2 characters the second time around.

9. CZ Hazard

CZ Hazard Sons of Unicron PTT

News Credits:
    G1.5

But that doesn't stop me putting a repro label G2 logo on him and whacking him with my G2 redux. Hell, I keep my real 1.5 with my G2 figures as the aesthetic fit's so much better than putting it with G1. I even sold off my dull coloured complete Machine Wars set to finish 1.5 and expand the G2 set.

10. Girl Pants

News Credits:
    I wish his colors were not as muted though. If he'd a bight navy instead of grey and if his yellow was "neon-er" I think he'd have fit in more. In some ways he feels more like a pre-Forestonite Scorch.

11. Dragonclaw

Dragonclaw Comic Ink - Dublin, CA

News Credits:
    Yeah, if Sideswipe and Streetstar were switched It'd be my favorite set but it didn't feel like G2 to me at all...I have NO issue with G2 Breakdown in the set because that figure is pretty much a Botcon tradition :p 

12. jay724

jay724 Well-Known Member

I added a SG Decepticon symbol on him and turned him into SG Swindle. lol

13. Scaleface

Scaleface Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I put all the toys from that universe together, including Legends Rodimus.

14. Lbsammills51

Lbsammills51 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I still crave that Sideswipe. Why FunPub thought it would be a good idea to limit that figure to the Customization Class only, I'll never know.

15. Girl Pants

News Credits:
    Speaking of Streetstar and Brakedown, I'm surpised no one, not even a KO company, has ever made them in the G2 colors. Sure, it might de-value the handful that really exist, but dammit, I'd love to have a G2 Defensor and Menasor.

16. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha TFW2005 Supporter

Even though I love the Scorch figure (that bright yellow and teal make me happy, and Hound is a nice mold), I can't help but think it reeeeeally should have been recolored as Turbofire for that set. Turbofire's 'bot mode more closely resembles Hound (forward-facing hood chest, free-floating shoulder wheels) and Turbofire is a proper, full-on G2 character instead of a late-G1 Euro figure.

Not to mention, a Classics Trailbreaker/Hoist mold is almost assuredly in our future within the next few years, and THAT (assuming it roughly resembles the G1 version) is really the mold that should have been recolored into Scorch.

Ah well. Botcon Scorch is still a nice figure, he just seems like a bit of a missed opportunity.

17. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Barring a new mold, Cybertron Red Alert also makes a decent Scorch. Their heads are even similar.

18. Girl Pants

News Credits:
    Turbofire from Kup would interesting, I think. Hopefully we'll get a follow-up figure or two for G2 this Botcon, like how you could get SG figures last year.

19. Bass X0

Bass X0 King of Muay Thai

News Credits:
    Scorch is G1 for me. I don't do "G1.5"... G2 didn't even exist when he was originally released. You wouldn't have called Scorch "G1.5" back in 1992 would you?

I now want Hasbro to repaint Legends Trailcutter, Legends Hound or Stealth Force Hound into Turbomaster.

The theme was G2 and early 90s Euro G1. Not just G2.

Are you sure? Because thats still a few years away. Doesn't stop Botcon doing their own version just because of a hunch that a better toy may come along later.

I disagree. Turbomaster is a decent looking toy in his own right.

20. Nefud

Nefud Well-Known Member

They didn't call World War 1 by that name until World War 2, that doesn't mean people will know what the hell you're talking about if you insist on calling it "the Great War" (as it used to be known).

The real problem is that it's a very US-centric point of view to insist on seperating it from "real" G1 just because they didn't come out in the US.