Is bigger really better?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by TranstechCat, Jan 27, 2010.

1. Optimus Scourge

Optimus Scourge Arcee's boy toy Veteran

News Credits:
    While I get the ones I like at any size, I think I'd have to say a good deluxe figure is really satisfying, especially since deluxes are easy to pose and fiddle with.

Classics Mirage is a perfect example, such a great mold.

2. Flyby33

Flyby33 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    agreed!...........it sucks everyone can't afford the bigger ones but its all based on opinion i buy a leader class usually cuz its badass, not to say i got a bigger more expensive toy, thats what 12 year olds do. as a collector i buy each class size cuz im a completest gotta have them all. is it really more of i dont like the bigger class they are pointless or more of a i'm pissed off i cant have it.. it's really a matter of what you like. me i like every class size, just really got into scouts for rotf, but if a figure looks cool im buying it despite the price. i personally love devy just wish it didnt hurt the pocket so much

3. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It all really depends on the figure but, IMO, there's a general drop-off in quality as a figure gets larger than a Voyager. Mostly because the Ultra-and-larger figures tend to get stuck with some kind of intrusive gimmick (lights, sounds, etc) that detracts from it just being a good Transformer. I personally think the Voyager class is the perfect size, since they're large enough to feel like a good value, have more money put into the engineering and rarely get saddled with an annoying gimmick. However, the Deluxe and Scout size classes have also been producing some excellent toys, as well.

Example(s) of specific toys? The only TFs I've ever encountered with "brittle plastic" are the infamous GPS figures and the overwhelming majority of those are smaller toys. Thinking back on the last few lines worth of Supreme and Leaders, they've all been very solid figures.

4. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Currently facepalming at your post

News Credits:
    I love deluzes, I think overall it's my favorite size class...but I also like to have VARIETY. That's one of my major beefs with Alternators/ Binaltech, it was one size class and it got extremely boring after three or four toys.

5. enkidoamark

enkidoamark Well-Known Member

Typically, I'm more excited about the deluxes than other parts of a line. Rotf scouts have been pleasantly surprising, but I typically don't have to have all the legends and scouts. Dlx and up, gotta have all the molds. I've always liked deluxes as the cars because it makes a good focal point for scale downwards and upwards. However, just the other day I started thinking about Drift and how hard it was going to be to do that guy justice at the deluxe size, especially considering it will be his first ever toy. That got me thinking about how cool it would be to have a line where the cars were voyager size. I know: "what about alternators?" I mean stuff that was in the style of a cartoon, with real individual styling (like we saw in ani. and to a lesser degree in classics) without licensed alt modes or stunted design to make room for die-cast.

On the original topic, I don't want lots of leaders. Just a few really well done ones per line. I think we've gotten a lot of that lately. I really don't care too much for ultras. I don't need lights and sounds and the ones we've been getting lately didn't seem to need to be larger than voyager for the engineering that went into them.

6. 1987olds442

1987olds442 Cam Maximus

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Custom URL):
    It's a matter of scale for me. I like larger characters to be larger size class toys.

7. knoted

knoted Resistor Transistor

News Credits:
    "Small" voyagers such as ROTF Starscream & Megatron are imo the absolute sweetspot.

Deluxes like Sideways & Sideswipe also contain lots of mold detail and intricate engineering.

Imo, Leader class is too big for standard plastics ; this results in compromised
    engineering and or mold-wobble. On top of that, the electro gimmicks usually
    emphasize those issues even more.

So, this means I prefer my fav characters to be voyagers, regardless of actual scale.

8. NCStarscream

NCStarscream Me Grimlock cute

News Credits:
    Totally depends on the character to me.

For example, generally with Movieverse characters, I want the sizes to match up as well as possible with the relative sizes in the movie, so I'd want Leader Prime as opposed to Voyager. But even within that mindset, there are exceptions. Brawl should be huge in comparison to most movie characters, but I don't care about the character enough to want to drop the extra money on his Leader figure, so I have the Deluxe.

Overall, quality of the figure is what matters most to me. HA Bee is way out of scale, but I like him better than all the Deluxes, so he's my default movie Bumblebee.

And with Starscream, the focus of my collection, I like him to be available in as many size classes as possible to give my display of his figures more variety.

9. Zherbus

Zherbus In Shogo Hasui, we trust.

News Credits:
    I would just like for there to be some attempt at scale. I love the Animated Deluxe Prime mold, for example, nearly as much as I like the Voyager. However, Bumblebee is a fricken giant to any size class. So a lot of people also went out and bought the more scale-accurate Activator.

I also think Universe Galvatron (other issues aside) looks ridiculous next to anything else in the line. I'd have gladly paid more for a Voyager class Galvatron (you know, at least to match Classics Prime and Classics Megatron). Likewise, I also laid down a lot of cash for a Deluxe sized Music Label Soundwave with no intention of ever using the MP3 player.

I don't care about the status, I just want my stuff to look like it fits together. I'll be disenchanted by a Prime that doesn't have to look down to make eye-contact with Bumblebee.

10. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Nobody defeats the DEVASTATOR!

No, most of my favorite toys are in the Deluxe/voyager range.