Is bigger really better?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by TranstechCat, Jan 27, 2010.

1. TranstechCat

TranstechCat Cybernetic Chimpanzee

I was reading through the WFC Optimus/Megatron toy thread and noticed there was a lot of "too bad they're only deluxes", "I wish they were voyagers", etc...

I've also noted a seemingly large demand for more leader class figures.

Why does everybody want their toys to be huge and expensive? Is it a status thing? "Ha! My $500 Megatron is bigger and has more gimmicks than your piddly $200 one!"

Personally, I'm glad that all the WFC figures announced so far are deluxes. It means I'll actually have a shot at getting some of them.

I've wished for a long time that they would just do away with the larger size classes altogether. Scouts and Deluxes are the best figures anyway. Maybe one Leader per line as a collectors thing.

It may seem like I'm ranting (and I kinda am) but I'm also genuinely curious as to why the majority of the online fandom seems to be yelling "It's not expensive enough!" every time a new toy comes out.

2. 46+2

46+2 Well-Known Member

$500 megs??? I personally dont like anything smaller than a voyager. Although my alternity figs are kinda like deluxes. Deluxe figs are good if you still play with em. Bigger figs look waaaayyyy better on display! Oh wait, the classics seekers are awesome to display too but thats it.

3. Necrophon

Necrophon Speaker of Death TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    For the most part I prefer deluxe class figures. For me anyway they give the most bang for their buck. You get a good, articulated figure with an interesting transformation, for a cheap price.

Some of the ROTF scouts have astounded me with their detail and complexity. So I'm all for more deluxe and scout class figs.

I don't have a problem with Voyager or Leader class figures except that I'm on a budget. I love my leader class ROTF Prime but there's no way I'll ever be able to drop that kind of cash for the Megatron figure. Especially after I sold a kidney just to come up with the cash for the leader Jetfire!

All that said, I think that they're some awesome figures in all classes. I simply don't like it when a certain character I'd like to get is exclusive to only one size class and thus out of my price range. i.e. ROTF Jetfire (unless you count the teeny legends one). I love to get a deluxe anytime I can and an occasional Voyager when I have the money. But generally I reserve my leader class purchases to just Prime and an occasional Megs.
    But to each their own, if you can afford the bigger figs then 'rock on 'wit yo bad self!' I'm just one of those "poor kids" that they joke about on WTF@TFW!

Last edited: Jan 27, 2010
  4. thenatureboywoo

thenatureboywoo Veteran

News Credits:
    To answer the thread title, Sometimes, Yes. And it has nothing to do with the price. Guys that say my transformers costs more, so your collection ain't shit , can suck a fat one. I am a big fan of the Voyager class toys. They are not too big and they have some transformations that would be to small and kibbly for a deluxe. Deluxe's are nice too, but they better toys from the ROTF Line have proven to be HA's, Voyager's, and Leader Prime.

But on the flip side, Bigger isn't always better. ROTF Supreme Devastator could have been given so much more. And Alot of Deluxes from the Animated line were truly kick ass. And also, the Cybertron scout repaints are really fun to play with.

5. 46+2

46+2 Well-Known Member

ROTF devy...reeeeeaaaaallllllly sucked. Good piont!

6. Back Alley

Back Alley Well-Known Member

I thinks it's that with a larger pricepoint there's room get more detail into a figure. For example, Classics Voyager Prime. It's a great toy with good articulation and design. Though it's fine in its own right, the Deluxe Prime is kinda underwhelming in comparison.

There's also the issue of scale of course. I don't mind the Deluxe sizes for WfC Prime and Megs too much, but if they put out a Deluxe Trypticon, I'd be kinda pissed.

7. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

The brunt of my collection is in the Deluxe class, with a few Voyagers here and there, and little exceptions here and there (MP Prime, Screamer, & RotF Leader Prime). And the fact that my collection is that way has little to do with price point, otherwise I wouldn't be buying toys after the $8 to $12 jump.

Persoanlly, if WFC Prime and Megs are going to be Deluxes, then I only hope that the rest of the WFC figures are to scale with them. Larger characters getting the Voyager spots and smaller guys as Scouts.

That's all it ever was for me. The issue was always more about character and scale than it ever was about sheer size.

8. Hotspot17

Hotspot17 Search and Rescue: Vet

News Credits:
    No, sometimes I feel that biggest is crappy. The bigger the toy is, it tends to be made from cheaper brittle plastic. I prefer getting a small to moderate size figure that is made well and well planned/designed out.

9. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    I prefer deluxes and Voyagers my self and I feel Optimus Prime/Primal Megatron/Galvatron are special cases as they are the leaders and most including my self to like them to be larger than most of the rest of their line.

10. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

I don't really think it has anything to do with collectors wanting to pay more or to brag that their figure is bigger than someone else's. That's just stupid. Size classes are a nice thing to have in this toyline. Buyers get more of an option. They can either get 2 deluxes for $10 apiece or 1 voyager for $20. Also, some characters look better in certain size classes. While you might enjoy scouts and deluxes almost exclusively, not everyone is going to feel the same way.

11. knyghtmare2021

knyghtmare2021 The Goddamn Knyghtmare

News Credits:
    For me its not so much that bigger is better... its a scale thing. Example ROTF Leader Prime in my mind was/is a must buy for the movie line, but I'd never buy cyber ops bumblebee

12. RayH

RayH Well-Known Member

It depends what it is, in the case of cybertron it's megs and OP and they are always portrayed as bigger characters. So in that case it's needed. I don't care about arbitrarly bigger thing, like if they make a giant bumblebee figure or something, but for scales sake certain things should be certain sizes.

13. bradinmo

bradinmo Well-Known Member

I try to get my hands on any Optimus Prime toys I can, so I have them in all sizes. That being said, bigger isn't always better. Sometimes bigger figures are nice if you're collecting a line and it puts the characters in scale. Sometimes, the transformations can be more complex with a bigger figure.

However, in my experience, when Hasbro makes bigger figures, they feel the need to pack in more gimmicks (lights, sounds, punch action, firing rockets, etc.). These gimmicks are of little interest to me and, more often than not, end up taking away from the toy in some way.

The deluxe size is usually plenty big if the toy is well done. The Animated line did an amazing job of making show accurate toys with unique transformations that were well worth the money.

So, in my opinion, bigger isn't always better and I'll be perfectly happy with a gimmick-free deluxe WFC Optimus Prime!

14. Ziero

Ziero TFW2005 Supporter

I don't think I have ever seen anyone say any toy they have is better then another person's toy because it was more expensive. And many times, the size of the toy and the amount people pay don't even correspond. People will buy early deluxe toys off ebay for $100+, or specific exclusive figures and the like. Yet a lot of people will also buy big figures for dirt cheap at store clearances or garage sales. I don't think price has ever been an upside to buying bigger figures and I have *never* seen anyone flaunt the price they've paid for a super expensive figure unless it was actually lower then normal.

As for why I like big figures, ROTF Leader Prime wouldn't be half as cool or even a quater as complex had he been a deluxe. Armada Unicron is a massive, imposing, fearsome looking transformer due to looming over all others. And while he's certainly lacking in many areas, RotF Devastator's size is one of his most striking and outstanding features. Some robots just work better when they're big. Prime and Megatron especially imo. As leaders they've always had some sort of larger status and standing compared to their troops normal troops, but were never the biggest bots on the field. Voyager class ends up being best for them since it allows them to be bigger then the average deluxe yet still allow some larger figures (Ultra/Leader/Supreme) to show off their size.

For me, personally, it's the fact that bots of varying sizes and designs end up meshing well and working off each other to accentuate things like size and bulk. So bigger characters should have bigger toys, while smaller characters get smaller figures. As far as I'm concerned, the Animated toys was the best example of how to do Prime/Megatron in a long time. And I'm hoping that for the next toyline to feature an Earth mode Prime and Megatron, that both of them are at least Voyager class, if not Leaders.

15. Houndvoice

Houndvoice Well-Known Member

I really don't care about the size or class, as long as it's a nice Transformer I'm happy.

16. TornadoQuakeX

TornadoQuakeX Decepti-Creep

Larger figures are only good if they are...well good. If it's just a giant lights and sounds brick then count me out. ROTF Leader Prime is a good example of how to make large figures right. ROTF Leader Jetfire is a good example of why NOT to make a figure, just for the sake of making a figure large. Sure the jet mode is cool, but underneath is the entire robot.

Personally, I go for the smaller figures, like Deluxe and Voyager. They are more accessible and it fits in your hands.

17. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Same.

Although I try to keep it small. Deluxes and scouts and whatnot.

18. Ziero

Ziero TFW2005 Supporter

Actually I find the bigger ones are usually the sturdiest. Being so big they need to be built stronger to stay together and hold themselves up. I mean Cybertron Metroplex, Armada Unicron and Movie Leader Prime are some solid toys.

19. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    I personally prefer deluxe and Voyager class toys. They are not too big, while being big enough to work in some interesting ideas and to be fun. I've nothing against a line of deluxe anything, unless it's a character who is meant to be physically massive.

20. Phil

Phil Well-Known Member

Same here. When I was a kid I always preferred to play with the smaller sized transformers, they fit in my hands better haha. I guess that just carried over.