Is Beast Wars overrated?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by bumblebot98, Jan 20, 2012.

?

Is it overrated?

This poll will close on Sep 10, 2036 at 7:31 AM.
  1. Yes.

20.2%
  2. No.

74.9%
  3. I don't know.

2.3%
  4. I haven't seen beast wars.

2.6%
  1. bumblebot98

bumblebot98 Banned

News Credits:
    So I recently just started watching Beast Wars and it was going good, but the thought popped up about how much love it seems to get, is it too much?

I dunno just yet cause I'm only on episode 3.

2. cappeca

cappeca wtf is this?

Watch it all, then let us know your own opinion.

3. bumblebot98

bumblebot98 Banned

News Credits:
    I want to know YOUR opinions, I will give mine once I finish BW.

4. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    Beast Wars is just like every other TF series. Some love it, others don't.

I disliked Beast Wars but loved Cybertron. Everyone is slightly different in their tastes.

5. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    In my personal opinion: Hell no.

Yours may vary.

6. Paladin

Paladin Have Zord, Will Travel

News Credits:
    Detroit- It's a shithole full of people who steal
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Great series? Absolutely.

The "end-all, be-all" standard for every TF series ever made? I don't think so.

7. FanimusMaximus

FanimusMaximus Kuphead

News Credits:
    Underrated, if anything.

8. Rodimus Major

Rodimus Major Custom User Title

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It's absolutely overrated. I still think it's really good, but not as great as I hear people tell it.

9. Mechafire

Mechafire Veteran

News Credits:
    No. It's not overrated at all. If anything, underrated, as I personally think it's the best Transformers cartoon ever.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2012
  10. Backpack

Backpack G1 forever.

Yeah, this is pretty much my camp. In the end I think all of Transformers is over-rated by the fans of any given series. I am guilty of it.

11. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    There's no way it's overrated. No way.

12. Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I guess a bit, kinda. Like, maybe a little bit. But only the tiniest bit. Enough that I still vote "no", as in "no, not really". It's not without its failings, which fifteen years on we kindly tend to draw a veil of memory over - the intrusion of a lot of mood-disrupting Looney Tunes squash-and-stretch comedy in the third season, the "unfinished" feel the Vok plot had, the disproportionately heavy toy-promotion of the last batch of episodes.... most of the problems are in the third season, really. The show's being produced on a season-by-season basis rather than having a grand arc in place from the outset makes how cohesive and far-reaching its plot become all the more impressive - it being the first Transformers cartoon to HAVE arced plot weights heavily in its favour (coming in at a time when such a concept was still only a few years old in kids' cartoons - accordingly, I remember thinking we'd never learn more about the aliens or Megatron's plan for the Golden Disk, that they would exist as vague backstory elements that would never be fully realised, and boy was I susprised!) - and it certainly features some of the strongest development and characterisation for its cast of any Transformers cartoons, and spent over a decade in that position until Animated came along to rival, and perhaps exceed, it. Sure the CGI animation has dated, but big hairy deal - it, along with Beast Machines, was still made by the best guys in the business at a time, and comparatively primitive nature of the production notwithstanding, it was still populated by figures that actually *acted* with real facial expressions and body language, which despite the use of CGI in a few intervening cartoons, did even come CLOSE to being rivalled in Transformers cartoons until Prime. To damn the show for its use of organic animal forms or code-phrases, as many do, is the most blinkered of views. It was new and daring and it absolutely deserved all the praise it got at the time, though the Transformers brand's reversion to Bots vs Cons with nearly-universal vehicle modes on present day (or near-future) Earth and the pronounced lack of revisitation the world and setting has received - short of the diminutive anniversary line, a few scattered new toys like Universe Cheetor and Dinobot, and a few poorly-received comics that failed to "get" the charm of the show - has sort of "enshrined" Beast Wars, with its new factions, entirely animal theme and prehistoric setting - in short, it's willingness to throw out an old formula that wasn't working at the time to experiment and *succeed* with something brand new - as a unique period the like of which we are unlikely to see again, which leads its fans to defend it quite vocally and perhaps a BIT more enthusiastically than it warrants.

(EDIT: Fuck ME, talk about run on sentences.)

13. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    I dislike it at first for being blasphemous and having them change into animals, but looking back at it, I respect it for adding to the G1 folklore..

14. The621

The621 Fuck you, that's why!

News Credits:
    If you noticed the lack of media it got after post airing years, and the only releases are the Fox Kids reissues, Anniversary sets, Generations, and comics, it's still far outnumbered by the G1 re-issue and CHUG lines. Not overrated enough. :lol  Seriously.

15. fleshling

fleshling Well-Known Member

The first bunch of episodes are pretty tragic. I gets much, much better. It's veyr kid-friendly when it starts out. They all have to say Maximize/Terrorize to transform every single time. They eventually get rid this thankfully.

It has one of the best character progressions/fates in the entire Transformers universe, IMO. It's worth it for that alone. You have to get through Season 2 to see it.

16. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

Given all the stuff around here I've read where people act like G1 and the live action movies are the only thing Transformers I'd have to say Beast Wars is under rated. There is an insulting term for being a G1 and there are insulting terms for being a movie fan but there really isn't an insulting term for Beast Wars fans so it's either ignored or forgotten by too many people.

Beast Wars is kind of like the Rodney Dangerfield of Transformers. Waspinator can win a fans choice award and people can say they want Transformers Prime to have writing like Beast Wars but it seems Beast Wars gets no respect. One of the few Transformers show to use lines from classic literature and just not enough people going wow at the stuff the show could work in.

17. Shin-Gouki

Shin-Gouki Rebuilding Veteran

News Credits:
    Originally: Huntington Beach, CA, Now: Cincinnati
    Toys Yes, Show No

18. D-Unit

D-Unit #1 Heel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I hate the use of the words "overrated" and "underrated". If you don't like it, then you don't like it, and if you do, then that's good. Each series, all of them has their fans and detractors, nothings over/under rated, it's just personal preference.

19. Knightdramon

Knightdramon Hasbro LIES to the US

News Credits:
    It's a good series but suffers from inconsistency between the seasons, IMO.

Season 1 is slow and has lots of light-hearted filler episodes.

Season 2 gets somewhere and has better character development and some epic moments [not because they're G1 oriented, but because they were well directed and acted].

Season 3 is like a downgrade in quality, kiddy plots all over again and each episode is like a "Bad device of the week to bring down Optimus".

It's slightly overrated. Yes.

20. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    I personally think that the animation is vastly overrated (there are people that actually believe it's animation is superior to that of Prime's), but I wouldn't say that the show itself is overrated. While I myself am not a huge fan of it, I do believe that it's story still holds up quite well, unlike most other shows from the same time period.