Is Beast Machines worth watching as a whole?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Ismaeel Kamal, Apr 13, 2018.

?

Watch all or just the last three episodes of Beast Machines: Transformers?

1. All the episodes are worth watching

40 vote(s)
    81.6%
  2. Just watch the final three episodes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Skip it

8 vote(s)
    16.3%
  4. Watch some episodes, but not all of it

1 vote(s)
    2.0%
  1. Altered Prime

Altered Prime Well-Known Member

I guess that’s where we differ, I have no problem with speculating and coming up with stuff to explain issues but I draw the line at completely rewriting the history they actually gave us

The way I see it the bottom line is it happened so we just got to explain it some other way

2. Crim

Crim Well-Known Member

It was a stupid kids cartoon from the 80's that didn't care about continuity or logic. Hell, they even dropped that whole thing about bots being able to randomly fly later on. If they can leave the stupid shit behind we should as well.

3. Altered Prime

Yeah the bots Were able to fly in the first three episodes then they drop that for the most part but then by season three they were flying again

But the cons on the other hand were always able to fly that was the whole stick, a comment about that was even made by Orion paxs aka a young prime

4. Zook

Zook Evil Incarnate

YouTube:
    Optimus didn't turn to The Oracle, she just decided to guide him toward her. Why didn't she just stop Megatron from destroying Cybertron? To address another point, what's the point of ruling if the things you rule over don't know you are the ruler? Was Megatron fine with hanging from his tamole doing nothing before the Maximals showed up? This is the biggest problem with villians wanting to take over or destroy the world. OK, you destroyed the world, now what?

We don't know what happened when Megatron returned to Cybertron or how he took over, but even in a powerful dragon body, wouldn't the residents of the planet be able to still take him out if they banded together? The crew of the Axalon weren't soldiers yet still had weapons. A lot of them.

As for the PTSD thing, the Maximals thought they won the war, but some major shit went down, and they soon realized the war was not over, but now on their home turf. They somehow were back in their old bodies, even though those were beyond mutated, especially Primal's who was actually in a new body since his old one exploded, and not Waspinator exploded. He was disintegrated. Small chunks here and there, but only his spark was salvageable, and Rhinox had to search the Matrix for it. They had no memory of how they got this way, some of their friends were gone, and as far as they knew, the friends they left to pursue Megatron were now attacking them. Pretty extreme shit. It's out of character for Optimus Primal, exploration captain turned heroic leader in a war to suddenly give up and turn to god. Based on all his actions in Beast Wars, he would not give up, but fight to save his planet. Even if he felt responsible, he would do what he can to fix it. I think PTSD is being thrown around too lightly.

Why didn't the Oracle step in before? How did Megatron take out a whole planet? How did Waspinator get to Cybertron? Why did Optimus suddenly have a desire to make Cybertron techno-organic? The technology was available, so being explorers, they probably already planned on protecting themselves if need be. Megatron was always going to Prehistoric Earth. He may not have known that Energon would be so abundant, but he never expressed disgust with taking on an organic form. He seemed all for it as long as they were powerful. Did the Cybertronians always intend to make Cybertron techno-organic? Basically:

• Like Like x 1
  5. Sparky Prime

Sparky Prime Well-Known Member

Since you brought up Rattrap, I'll focus on him as an example here. It's not that Rattrap wouldn't do such a thing because he didn't do it in Beast Wars, it's why Rattrap wouldn't do such a thing in Beast Wars... He's resourceful, a thief and a spy in Beast Wars, traits which we don't really see from him in Beast Machines. Take the Beast Wars episode "Other Voices" for example, the Maximals and Predacons have a cease fire in effect, but Waspinator starts a fight with him, so what does he do? He fights dirty. It doesn't even slow him down that he can't use his gun in that situation because he knows how to fight with out it. So why would he go to Megatron for weapons in Beast Machines when he should already know he has all these other traits he can fall back on? Or at the very least, why wouldn't he just take a weapon off of one of the thousands of drones he knew were deactivated and scattered across the city? To me, that's extremely out of character for Rattrap to have gone to Megatron for help like he did in "Weak Component", given what was established about his character already in Beast Wars.

And that's also something that struck me as off with that episode... Megatron actually keeping his word to Rattrap.

In your opinion. I don't agree that it would.

Cybertron isn't a strange place to them, it's their home. And sure, that would certainly be a stressful situation to find yourself suddenly being shot at, maybe even traumatic. But that doesn't mean they'd develop PTSD over it. They've been through a lot worst. Heck, Primal even died during the Beast Wars and he didn't develop PTSD over that, so why would some drones shooting at him be any different?

No, the Maximals don't remember Silverbolt and Rhinox in the first two episodes. It's not until episode 3, "Fires of the Past", that Blackarachnia starts to have recollections of Silverbolt after she hit her head during a fight. And even then, it isn't until she downloads the information from their shuttle that she fully remembers him (and Rhinox). And she doesn't tell Optimus about it until the next episode, where he vows to find Rhinox and Silverbolt.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
  6. Altered Prime

That’s a good question, We don’t know how much she could honestly do in the physical world

Also this isn’t exactly uncommon behavior for what I would call a “God like character “, they have a tendency to influence and guide and not act themselves

The drones know who the boss was

Seems to me he was focused on getting rid of his beast mode and preparing for the day the Maxiamals Would show up
    I believe they said he use some kind of a virus to incapacitate the population of the planet

In other words chemical warfare

Do you recall the final episodes of beast wars?

If you do you should remember that he was reciting the covenant of Primus as if he was a preacher...Or at least a devout follower

Sorry but Based this actions in Beast Wars, His actions in beast machines was hardly any character
    Yeah he gave up but like what ....five minutes?
    Eventually G1 did something akin to that

I think you’re dismissing PTSD too Easley

Like I said above God like characters
    Also answered above
    They answered this in the series
    he excepted what he felt the Oracle was telling him

He didn’t come up with that idea itself
    What gave you the impression that the people of Cybertron plan on that?

That was the Oracle

To Megatron an organic Hate, I would assume it’s something that grew in him From either his connection to G1 megs spark, or the Time trying to get rid of the form after getting home

7. Smitty.1981

Smitty.1981 Rusting...

News Credits:
    That's not an opinion that is a fact backed up by research. PTSD does change people, some times dramatically.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Sparky Prime

Sparky Prime Well-Known Member

That's not what I was saying. Yes, PTSD changes people, but as I said, I don't believe it would explain all of the changes to their characters. It's your opinion that it would.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Zook

Zook Evil Incarnate

YouTube:
    Waspinator said it took him a long time, and they showed the early humans launching him from a tree. That doesn't explain anything.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Altered Prime

I believe we saw him flying through some form of a time warp, so that does explain how he got back

the real question is how he got into a time warp
    I feel that a combination of PTSD, overall hopelessness and depression, and the need to change I can’t really explain all the changes we soar

And what I mean by I need to change would be what we saw largely with the rat

11. WishfulThinking

WishfulThinking "Don't touch it! It's evil!"

News Credits:
    You forget that this is the guy who enjoyed taking long baths and talking to his rubber ducky. He was perfectly content with he and himself as company as long as he knew he won.

12. Dinobot Snarl

Dinobot Snarl Well-Known Member

Beast wars was better

13. Crim

Crim Well-Known Member

Way better then '84 G1's cartoon.

14. Dinobot Snarl

Dinobot Snarl Well-Known Member

Not better than the Original G1 Movie

15. Crim

Crim Well-Known Member

No, it's better then that once you remove the nostalgia glasses. The movie was good, one of the best parts of '84 G1 but it could have been better, like by cutting the whole Junkion/Quintessen bullshit.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
  16. Zook

Zook Evil Incarnate

YouTube:
    I'd have to rewatch the G1 movie again as it's been about 20 years, but it bored me. I was also new to G1 though, Beast Wars being the only thing I knew Transformers related. Problem is, I have no desire to do so, and that's with any other G1 related cartoon as well. I'm not your average fan. I have a shit load of G1 toy updates, but I really know nothing about the characters. They just look cool to me. Then again, I really don't know much about the non show BW characters either...

I do remember when G2 was on because I remember those CGI commercial interludes, but I didn't have much interest in that either as it left no impact on me.

... Beast Machines sucks! There, still on topic. :D 

• Like Like x 1
  17. WishfulThinking

WishfulThinking "Don't touch it! It's evil!"

News Credits:
    The first 30 minutes of the 86 movie is epic death metal...no matter your background, it's hard to not have your jaw drop at the willful destruction of childhood dreams. It's the rest of the movie that is full of tentacles and dancing dinos that drags it down a few notches.

• Like Like x 1
  18. cuad

cuad VOK EMISSARY

News Credits:
    It's solid in the sense that it's a crafted story that somebody thought about and not Hasbro giving us the middle finger (RID 2015), but I don't like it very much, because it's so emotionless. Bob Skir or whoever wasn't very good at heart, like Bob Forward and Larry DiTillo were.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2018