Is Bay really such a bad guy people make him out to be?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Tyrannosaur, Dec 30, 2009.

1. Tyrannosaur

Tyrannosaur 100% Sarcastic Saurian

I've watched all the behind-the-scenes extras of just about all of his movies plus interviews with him and people who worked with him and to me he really doesn't seem like a douchebag at all. Infact, I get the opposite vibe from him. He seems funny on set, and really you can't blame him for getting pissed off when something doesn't go the right way during filming. I admire his dedication to making a film too, which isn't something to frown apon.

Granted, Bay isn't the best director, but he might be one of the coolest in my opinion. Just because his movies aren't that great (Entertaining but not something everyone must see) doesn't mean he's an A-hole. I think people are getting him confused with Uwe Boll perhaps lol.

2. Ephland

Ephland Let's Go Rangers

News Credits:
    No, he's not. James Cameron is notorious for being a hard ass, and David O. Russell is off the charts. It takes a different breed to be a director, with a higher probability that you'll act like a dick. Comes with the territory, and it shouldn't affect the reasoning behind whether to see a movie or not.

3. Mechafire

Mechafire Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Is he as bad? As in, so bad he deserves those death threats?

Fuck no.

There are many directors who are way worse than him.

4. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    I don't know...I never met the guy.

5. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    No truer words have been spoken.

Everytime I sing I suck. It's funny at parties, but lets face it, I'm not getting my own album. Does that mean I'm a bastard? No, I just can't sing.

6. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

I don't think any of us can ever really know, since none of us have really worked with the guy. Essentially, all those extras you watched are propanganda though. You got to remember that those interviews and behind-the-scenes spots will NEVER show a negative side of Bay, ever. So you or any of us just can't get a complete picture of the guy other than what we're exposed to through the media.

The larger question is, does it even really matter? Seriously, isn't time that we let this Bay love/hate runs its course.

7. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    He seems like a decent enough guy. And he's developed into an entertaining persona, where people have this caricatured idea of him that lends itself to parody. At this stage, it's probably best for him not to fight it. People seem to like it. He's probably savvy enough to live up to this reputation.

8. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Don't eat me

News Credits:
    He's no different from the average boss.

9. Moy

Moy Constructicons!

News Credits:
    never met the guy before, but surely it's safe to say that all directors can be a hard ass from time to time..

10. TFfan08

TFfan08 Vigilante

News Credits:
    You can't judge a guy from a video. If a video can make Hitler a nice guy, will you be calling Hitler a cool guy? ;) 

11. Dinoman96

Dinoman96 Well-Known Member

Don't care for him much other than the TF films, but he's certainly better than Jason Freidberg, Aaron Seltzer, Ed Wood, and Uwe Bolle...

12. Dinobot Nuva

Dinobot Nuva Johnny 3 Tears Veteran

News Credits:
    Honestly guy? You had to invoke Godwin's Law before the thread even hit two pages?

13. Darthbane2007

Darthbane2007 Well-Known Member

I really don't understand this either. He just does what he does best; make movies..

14. Sage o' G-fruit

Sage o' G-fruit Critics gonna critique

News Credits:
    Well, his movies seem to be all about some fun at the movies without any subtext. So I'd say he's not a super complicated guy. Hmm.

I'll go work with him, and let you all know.

15. SMS55

SMS55 Well-Known Member

When you are in charge sometimes you have to be a dickhead, but that's just business. It's his behind on the line and he has deadlines to meet. I don't like being a dickhead but sometimes I have to if I want to get my guys to get things done when I want it. Other times it's just the stress of the job, but that doesn't translate into his personal life.

16. menasor73ct

menasor73ct Well-Known Member

i think micheal bay is cool,but i cant help thinking something was lost on the second movie(still liked it though)

17. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    As I said else where, Michael Bay is probably a nice dude. I'd drink a beer or two with him, no sweat.

James Cameron on the other hand, while the director of my favourite films, is a total dick and I'm glad that Ed Harris punched him in the face.

I (try to) judge Bay's work as a measure of his talent as a director, in no way should they be used as a yard stick for his personality.

18. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    I've known him for years. His wife made me a plate of fudge for Christmas.

19. Master Fwiffo

Master Fwiffo Bonecrusher Hates You

News Credits:
    All I've seen of Bay makes me think that he's basically a decent, fun-loving guy. He doesn't care what people think, and he doesn't really get angry, but he'll just keep doing whatever he finds entertaining. I don't think he's a dick, just more of self-centered and fun loving - he's only 'mean' when he's on set trying to get things done, where he takes no nonsense - but off set, he looks like he just wants to have fun.

And I have to say it's great that he has a sense of humor about himself and his persona - he freely makes fun of his MICHAELBAYAWESOME:bay  persona (I used 5 helecopters!).

20. Tyrannosaur

Tyrannosaur 100% Sarcastic Saurian

Fuck! When was this and where was I?!

EDIT: it was during production of The Abyss, and I was still an unfertilized egg in my mother's vagina.