Is arcee and Slipstream in FOC?

Discussion in 'Transformers Video Game Discussion' started by Gaastra, Jul 8, 2012.

1. Gaastra

Gaastra Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Anyone know if they are in the game?

2. RipCurl

RipCurl I just can't get enough!

News Credits:
    Tieg has stated no fembots will be in the game

3. caldo15

caldo15 Banned

News Credits:
    I know that I saw an Arcee character poster in one of the fall of cybertron making of videos, but apparently Matt Tieger said there would be no females in the game because of time constraints, Don't know why it would take longer to make females, but I would bet we will see them in some DLC packs, would be cool if they added airachnid too, not a spider though, maybe the same vehicles that vortex transformers into. Can't wait for this game, hope the demo comes out next week on Xbox live, I think the demo for WFC came out 1 month before

4. Gaastra

Gaastra Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That stinks. Thanks.

5. Sideways77

Sideways77 oh shoogah

News Credits:
    Like I said before, Tieg wants his game to be a tin can fest.

6. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    The reason there are no fembots is because it would require custom animations. All being male allows animations to be shared between all characters. Female models would look bad using male animations.

It's all a matter of resources vs gain. You may not like it but that's the truth. By lacking female animations it's quite probable that the animators were able to add more animations to enemies and enhance others.

Remember there are a lot of unique enemies in this game. Each of them require a significant amount of resources.

Again, you may not like it but that's the way it works. I agree that the lack of the females suck and if I were the designer I probably would have made a different call but I'm not.

7. Sso02V

Sso02V Injector Has a Posse

News Credits:
    Which means what, exactly? Why are "male" animations unable to be used for female characters? Do the "male animations" include idle stances where they burp and scratch their junk? Would female animations be required by law to sway their hips as they walk, and check their nails after every time they swing their melee weapon?

They run, and they gun. Neither of those sounds all too gender-exclusive, especially since Arcee and Slipstream were fully capable of existing in WFC despite not having "female animations".

8. Transformed

Transformed 神戸 Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I guess this explains why everyone has the same walk, run and stance at times. Too bad HMS couldn't be bothered to motion capture/create a variety of stance to express different forms of body language and moods. Silly pistons moving up and down make them look more like machines than living beings:( 

Unless HMS wants their female characters to look like super models with super slim waist lines and hour glass figures, I don't think it would have mattered much--come to think of it, did Arcee/Slipstream move any different from the male characters in the game? I thought everyone moved exactly the same in WFC.

9. Rexidus

News Credits:
    No need to exaggerate. Males and females do have different anatomy and just different styles of moving. Yes you could use a female model with the current animations but they would look off. This is a case where if they can't do it right it's probably better not to do it at all.

It's best to just accept that there aren't female models and get over it.

Please don't imply laziness or malice to this. Again, this is just a case of resources (time, animatiors, money, etc) vs reward. By recycling these animations, the animators could work on other stuff. Feel free to dislike it, just don't imply laziness or malice.

10. Flaming Matrix

Flaming Matrix Murder claw master

This guy knows what he's talking about.

I also agree that while the lack of fembots sucks, there is a good reason behind it other than "they didn't want to/feel like it".

11. Sso02V

Sso02V Injector Has a Posse

News Credits:

I don't recall anybody remarking that Arcee and Slipstream moved "wrong" in WFC.

12. Transformed

Transformed 神戸 Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    To be honest, I don't think I was idle enough to even notice any real difference. I was always on the move.

I wouldn't call it laziness per se, but this isn't a part one, but a part two. Everyone expects the ante upped, and this is one of those things, character variety and animation.

HMS went a different direction--I get it. Still won't stop me from thinking they went too far in one direction:(  Males aren't the only ones who like this franchise, females like it too. Why not throw them a bone? My daughter would like the Transformers, but she feels she shouldn't due to the abundance of male characters--in her mind the Transformers is a boys cartoon/toy. While this is true to by large degree, there are females that enjoy the brand as much as males, and I'm sure Hasbro wouldn't mind expanding the fandom beyond males either.

Anyway, what's done is done. Here's hoping HMS puts the same amount of effort into FOC's sequel for female characters as they did with the Dinobots in this one.

13. Sideswipe80

Sideswipe80 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    My daughter granted that's she's only 3 doesn't really care for female Tfs. Her favorites from Prime are Dreadwing, Bee, Optimus and Bulkhead. You don't need female Tfs to attract female fans. Heck my mom to this day loves Bumblebee and Wheeljack. My wife's favorite is Bulkhead from Animated.

14. Rexidus

News Credits:
    I did attend DigiPen for a few years and dream of stealing Tieg's job somehow... So yeah I know how the stuff can work behind the scenes.

15. Transformed

Transformed 神戸 Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    That's cool. My daughter, however, needs certain reassurances.

To my surprise, she gave my son all of her transformers when she started elementary school. It was a surprise because she LOVED Transformers Animated, especially Arcee and Blackarachnia, so much so that she asked me to purchase those figures for her when they became available. Sadly, her interest in Transformers changed when she went to school, as her new friends have convinced her that girls shouldn't watch/like shows/products aimed at boys. She's become a closet fan:lol  she tries to pretend that she isn't watching, but I catch her looking at it every now and again.

In her mind, Transformers will always be something for boys as long as female characters don't take part in the story. We all like characters for various reasons, on such reason is being able to relate to the character. Thus, having a character she can relate to just might help change her current point of view.

16. Sideswipe80

Sideswipe80 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Just tell her about all the dudes on this forum who watch My Little Pony lol

17. Flaming Matrix

I would actually prefer that hasbro didn't throw in girl characters just because they're girls.

And by they way, just because there's not enough (girls, boys, etc.) in it isn't really a good reason to not like something. That certainly doesn't stop Bronies. For instance, I still enjoy transformers even though there's not many black people in it (and no, transformers that act like black people don't count).

You make sure to tell her to not let other people tell her what she can and can't like. Unless it's something she truly shouldn't like, like for instance doing (illegal) drugs.

18. Chopperface

Chopperface Holtzmanned

News Credits:
    Stinks, but now that Ryoku has explained, I understand the lack of femmes. Hopefully the next game has some.

19. Transformed

Transformed 神戸 Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    :lol  but seriously, though, how old is the average Brony again?

Why not? I see nothing wrong with that, so long as Hasbro doesn't have them portrayed as damsels in distress. No one wants to see females portrayed like that any more.

I want them in Transformers because they've always been there. I hated how they were teased in G1, but never fully explored because they were...well, females in a show aimed at boys. Series after G1 have explored female characters (though few in numbers) and have done a good job making very likable and memorable characters.

It would be great if all six year olds thought as you do, but when going to school for the first time with a bunch of new faces, the only thing on your mind is acceptance.

However, had these types of characters been incorporated into the brand the show would be better for it, so long as they aren't degrading of course. People like to represented in the media and entertainment. Just about everything we have today tries to do just that.

I enjoyed Blaster and Jazz growing up, but I think I was too young to realize they were playing to stereotypes. Had I known then what I know now, I probably wouldn't have liked them as much. I wonder if they would have survived for as long--Star Wars' prequels are still taking hits for the Nemodians and Jar Jar Binks. That said, I don't dislike these characters now, I like them the same. I don't think Hasbro (or anyone for that matter) could get away with what was going on in the '80s and earlier years with stereotypes. I can think of no better way to disrespect/alienate a people.

I am happy that HMS found someone who sounds somewhat like Mr. Crothers, as I think his voice was just as iconic as Optimus, Megatron or Starscream's. Though one must wonder why HMS cherry picks voices left and right. To be G1 or not G1 with voices is something HMS seems to be struggling with. Why not go all in when possible? Sure budget's probably an issue, but when the question is brought up, HMS either acts as though they don't know who the VA in question is or change the subject all together when brought up.

Anyway, we're getting way off topic. If female characters don't get a last minute reveal or their own FOC DLC, I hope they play a part in the story's sequel.

Don't WFC leader boards show popular characters along with top players. Were the only two females unpopular? I must have been in unique matches, as I saw people using Arcee and Slipstream models left and right when playing competitive multiplayer two years ago.

20. Flaming Matrix

But that wouldn't be throwing them in just for the sake of being girls would it? If their actually good characters then they're not just there to be girls.

Also, the other stuff you said made a lot of sense (I didn't qoute it because it was really long).