Is anyone going to download or buy Warhawk today?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by pscoop, Aug 28, 2007.

1. pscoop

pscoop Dead inside

News Credits:
    The newer reviews have been good and the screen shots look great.

I have been torn on what I am doing. It is available for download right now (in the US) for $40. The BD may not be available at some places until tomorrow, it is $60 and has a BT headset (which I already have)

I was surprised the game only takes up a little under 1 gig for the DL version considering it has 25 maps and 6 vehicles. A word of warning to those who might be downloading it though. Only the PSN ID that downloaded the game can play it on the PS3. So if you and a sibling or whatever share games unless you both want to play under the others ID you should get the BD. I am the only one in my house who plays so I may just download it and save 20 bucks since I don't ever plan on taking the game somewhere else.

2. smangerbot

smangerbot The Holy Zombie Jesus TFW2005 Supporter

its downloadable? i guess it is online only... hmm with halo 3 looming... its a toughie.

3. Prisoner1138

Prisoner1138 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Hmm, $40 to download and not get a headset that I don't need... that doesn't sound too bad at all(since headset or not it probably would have been $60 to get it on a disc anyway). I'll have to do that once I get home.

4. pscoop

pscoop Dead inside

News Credits:
    Cool add me PSN pscoop. My buddy and I will be playing tonight.

5. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'll have to catch up with you guys tomorrow. I'm buying the hardcopy, since I need a headset and what better way to get one. Not to mention, that I'm supersticious and I want to have my copy on hand. Keep this thread fresh so we can all send buddy invites.

6. Sentinel

Sentinel TF Museum Curator Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    I think I might wait for a possible demo before I commit one way or the other. I tend to want the disk if I do get it though (even though I already have a BT headset, but oh well, I am old school I suppose). Eh, I may just pick it up if I see it in the stores in the next day or two. Someone who did get it, post a real review here please.

7. b_ack51

b_ack51 I'm on the interweb!

I'm the same way, the digital download just doesn't feel right for me. Plus I can use the headset too, so I'll be picking up the game today after work. Already preordered and paid off, just gotta go pick it up.

psn: b_ack51

8. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

Pass, Halo 3 is going to own me until Rock Band comes out, I can feel it.

No disrespect to the game, it's absoloutely fantastic.

9. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't have to have to. I Beta tested it, and if it got better (than the Beta test) then it was already perfect. A blast to play (With my only dissapointment being lack of single player). The physics are great, and animation and controls are smooth, and once you get used to piloting a Warhawk, you won't want to share them with your team mates. And unlike a certain other shooter coming out this year (which will definitely sell more copies) this game actually looks like it was built for a next gen system, not a slightly souped up version of its prequel. Not to dis ol' Halo (had some good times with it until it got old), but Gears of War set the standards on that system for what you can do with the power of the 360. Style over graphics is one thing, but Halo 3 looks like a rezzed up copy of Halo 2.

Anyway, besides the point. WarHawk is worth it, but two points. It's only multiplayer (you can play offline with 3 other friends). And if you really want to get something out of flying, change the controls on your warhawk to pro, because you will get lit up by more experienced players.... Basically, Pro keeps the camera behind the jet no matter what you are doing, while the basic gives you more of a cinematic of the ship doing its acrobatics disorienting you when you go back behind the ship.

10. McBradders

I said wow.

11. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
  12. McBradders

I don't think you're particularly looking at the bigger picture regarding Halo 3. Plus Gears... don't get me started on that, I could go on for a while.

13. pscoop

pscoop Dead inside

News Credits:
    I got to play for about 4 hours last night. Gameplay was easy to pick up for all types, foot soldier, driving and Warhawk. I think it does well at keeping a nice balance since different people will play their own way. I prefer to fly when by myself, but when playing with my buddy, we would hop in a jeep with one of us controlling the gun. The maps are big, especially considering the small amount of space the game takes up of the HD. Graphics look beautiful too.

There are some small things that could easily be changed with an update. There is no in-lobby chat and I would like an option of an open mic between clan members or buddies. I would also like a party option like in R:FOM. None of these things ruin the game at all and could be changed with a patch.

Overall I was very impressed with how much fun I had playing. There are so many different ways to approach a battle that if you get tired of dog-fighting, you can work on your foot skills, or anti-aircraft gun skills.

There were a ton of people on last night so plenty of matches and more people will have the game today I am sure. I didn't see any lag and had no server disconects while I was playing, pretty good I felt for first day up and running.

14. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Nah, no worries, I think I get it. Halo is a package. It's a look and style. It doesn't have to look gritty or use normal mapping, or bump-mapping, or Topographic-mapping. I just expected a little bit more detail on the ground-textures and the quality of the character models. Like that amazing cinematic they showed a few years back with the giant crater.

Anyway Gears is far from being anything I care for, but their use of next-genish techniques was definitely impressive.

15. Sentinel

Sentinel TF Museum Curator Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Thanks for the heads-up. Nice player persepective review sir.

16. Prisoner1138

News Credits:
    I was up way past when I should have been in bed lastnight playing warhawk. Nice and lag free, no framerate slowdowns, plenty of servers to connect to with less than 50 ping.

Definitely a lot more than I expected for a launch day experience.

The only problem I had with the game, was when I joined one particular server and about 4 or 5 idiots were mumbling really loudly(I guess) into their headsets, which translated into being stupidly loud on my sound system, so I had to mute that.

17. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, that was around during the beta. I hoped they would fix that. I think some people are eating their headsets. I can't wait to play with you guys. but I have a late work day tonight, so my girlfriend is picking my copy up and I'll play tomorrow. I'll be sure to look you up. PS tag is syn-1111

18. Prisoner1138

News Credits:
    Coming from the PC side of gaming where people have to put a little effort into voice chat(and it ends up working so much better), it does sound like so many people are eating the mic. It's like they didn't bother to test and calibrate it, but then again I didn't bother syncing my bt headset with the ps3 to find out if you even can test it.

19. b_ack51

b_ack51 I'm on the interweb!

Got the game yesterday and spent about 4 hours playing the game. Definatley worth it if you have a PS3 a must own game.

Even my roommate who is only into sports games thought it looked good, jumped in the server and started playing and had a great time. Even when I had to leave for volleyball he went back and played the game more when I was gone. Definately a great game and fun.

And thank you for the guy who said to turn on the Pro flying. That helped out alot. Not just gotta learn how to do all the aerial manuevers.

Anyone have any trouble setting up the bluetooth headset?

20. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yes and no. I got my PS3 to recognize it, but I have no way of testing if it worked. The little meter doesn't read my voice, but I dont know if it's supposed to.

But yeah, Pro is the way to fly. And eventually it will come natural. You will definitely be doing a lot of moves with both sticks. That is, pulling up with one stick is not as swift as pulling up with both.

Last night I pulled a move on someone, and I know it only happened because I was playing against someone who didn't Beta. He was chasing me and I passed over a mountain, slammed on the breaks and dipped down and hugged the mountain wall behind me. He passed right over me, and I lit him up before he realized where I had gone. I couldn't do that shit on Beta because people immediately realized when you had kicked it into hover mode. But still, moves like that are what separates flying a warhawk to any other game vehicle.