Is anyone else seriously considering changing their buying habits?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by MisterFanwank, Nov 2, 2011.

1. MisterFanwank

MisterFanwank Toy Industry Analyst

News Credits:
    I think I'm going to stop buying expensive figures that make me drool. Too often they dissapoint (MP-09, MP-01) and I have very little interest in Takara revisiting old MP characters.

Macross might be the exception every once in a while, but I already own at least one copy of every Valkyrie I give a damn about. I might spring for the 1/3000 SDF-1 eventually, but that's it.

I think from now on I'm going to stick with the retail releases that catch my eye, I'll consider the Superalloy figures, and I'll order at least one of each thing I design on Shapeways.

This way my TF spending will be greatly reduced, I'm ensured some amount of bang for my buck, and the most expensive things I buy will be excellent portfolio items that, even if they disappoint me, will have sentimental value because they will be my designs.

How about you guys? Are any of you trying to optimize your buying habits?

2. Wars

Wars Regular At Swerve's™

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Flickr:
    Tumblr:
    I myself have decided that when the Transformers: Prime line gets released here, that I'm going to just stick to the Voyager and Deluxe figures. They're in-scale enough for me, so I'm happy to pass on any leader class figures that might come out.

I plan on getting Dark of the Moon leader Sentinel Prime, but that will probably be the last leader figure I buy any time soon. The only exception might be if Hasbro announce a leader/supreme Prime Unicron and/or a Dark of the Moon leader Megatron.

3. Billzilla

Billzilla Skeptic

News Credits:
    Honestly, I'm going the other way.. thinking about liquidating most of my deluxes because the only ones I ever look at are the MPs and big fellas. I own way too many figures just because I "had to" represent that character.

4. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Reason Has No Voice

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm doing the exact opposite. I've been staying away from the nickel and dime toys and sticking with the higher end Transformers and Macross.

5. Dinobots Rule

Dinobots Rule Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    i already started also. my passion for transformers has slowly been dying down so ive really been limited on what i want. that coupled with 2 new car payments here and my first child on the way has made me think about my purchases more.

6. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    The last one I bothered with was Masterpiece Grimlock. I'm actually very happy with him, but I won't be going over a c-note for anything on the horizon. I'm actually way more into stuff I can get for five bucks a crack or less, Joes and MU figures on sale or at Marshall's. I can get fifty 4" figures for the price of MP-10 and that's way more fun for me.

Except the Generations Stepper, but I paid up front for him.

7. DPrime

DPrime Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I have, drastically. We just had our first child, and my wife isn't able to work right now.

Oddly enough though, I'm more interested in buying Transformers now than I have been since the TFC line died out.

However, I had been buying a number of high-end Sideshow and Hot Toys figures in the last few years, and am in the process of selling those off, so stuff like Hercules, Conehead seekers, etc. haven't made any kind of dent in my actual work income, which is nice.

I'm very tempted to buy the TF: Prime figures, but we'll see. Right now, my rather small TF collection is pretty focused on G1. I like focus. The idea of collecting multiple TF lines is somewhat daunting to me, knowing that the brand gets rebooted every couple of years...

8. Waverider

Waverider Supreme Dude TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    I have always been a selective buyer when it comes to TFs. So there will be no change for me.

9. MisterFanwank

MisterFanwank Toy Industry Analyst

News Credits:
    While I had to be choosy with that I wanted to do, for the past couple of years money hasn't been a problem for me for one reason or another. I might be going back to school soon for my last semester, but without a scholarship. I'm hoping these restrictions I've put in myself will give me some interesting yields and prevent me from going broke.

Hell, I hope I can get a job doing autocad stuff with some of my Shapeways things.

I've got the big, important things, like my VF-1s, my MP Primes and Predaking. I'll relax, even if I have to force myself to relax.

10. Megatron31

Megatron31 I Belong to Nobody!

Ebay:
    my downfall (and i have done it every damn time) is i get the hasbro release only to turn around and buy the damn takara one) the only one i didnt do this with was cyclonus from henkei and grapple and lugnut from RTS

that i something i need to change

11. Cracka J

Cracka J TURD PARTY DUMPSTERPIECE TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I've already cut out 3rd party figures from my spending. As cool as some of them are, they are the biggest $$ sink for me while getting the least amount of actual figure (my personal opinion).

Like fosterlager, I do a lot of my TF shopping at tjmaxx, ross and marshalls now. It's bargain bin and you gotta wait for a lot of stuff to trickle down, but you save quite a bit and get the same stuff in the end.

Its not that I don't have the money to spend on the other stuff either, it's just finally clicking after a few years how much I WAS dropping on this shit, and I feel a need to cut back or find cheaper retailers for purchasing them.

12. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'd say I've cut back on retail releases and focused more on higher end stuff. Well, higher end just meaning the rare thing that looks good to me. I generally like to get the MP figures and they haven't really disspointed me, but I've avoided most of the DOTM figures and will only get a select few Prime figures. However, I'm still committed to Classics, whatever name they might choose to call them. My main issue is space. I have boxes of stored toys and my shelves are packed.

13. Soundwinder

Soundwinder I wind sounds!

I've turned more to Cyberverse and smaller-scale stuff, really. Wasn't a conscious choice, and admittedly more brought on by the disappointing lack of variety in the DotM main line.

I think I've gotten maybe half a dozen Deluxe or larger figures in the past half year. Granted, one of them was an MP, but still...

14. Janitor

Janitor Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The slew of third party companies have changed the game, for better or for worse.

I need to be more selective now, as a single deluxe/voyager/etc I want done by 3rd parties cost a hella lot more than a Has/Tak equivilant.

15. Incepticon

Incepticon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think the only major change I've made as of late is not buying doubles of figures anymore. But as it stands, I only buy G1 related figures/characters ala Classics-verse, Masterpiece, etc. anyway... but of course avoid character fillers like Universe Drift, Straxus, etc. and/or retarded repaints like MP Nemesis Prime, Sleep Mode Convoy, Albino Prime, etc.

I avoided pretty much the entire Movie line, virtually all random Legends figures, and won't give any money to third party outfits. The only non-G1 inspired series I'm on the fence about getting into is Prime.

16. wildfly

wildfly Right notes. Wrong order.

News Credits:
    Other than slowing down for a few months because i just haven't taken to Prime yet, no.

I'm neither disgruntled nor elated with MP10. It's different enough from MP1 that i'm reasonably pleased with it however.
    Six MP seekers, and MP11 will probably be number seven.

You might want to get on that sharpish. Their weren't that many of them around these parts last i looked.

17. Dran0n

Dran0n Junk male

News Credits:
    I'm too impulsive and shitty with money to slow down and spend less.

So, no.

18. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    my buying habits have changes, WAY less transformers, but its been going towards figmas, s.h. figuarts, kamen rider stuff, and super sentai

19. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    i don't get it.......Straxus is not a filler character like you say drift is, he has roots from the old marvel g1 comics.....

20. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    I think I started optimized right away. I'm not just buying everything that appeals to me. And even if there is something I really want, I wait until I have the money left. Although I really wanna buy Thundercracker right now, but I can't deal with that atm.

What I have makes me happy. Only Rodimus and Galvatron leave something to be desired.