Is anyone else really digging the IDW Transformers books currently?

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by MaxGoof, Apr 26, 2010.

1. MaxGoof

MaxGoof Preordained Soul

News Credits:
    For a while during All Hail Megatron I was greatly worried about the direction of the Transformers comics. But I re-read the last half-year of IDW Transformers books tonight, and I have to say that I'm really enjoying it now!

Last Stand of the Wreckers is flat-out awesome, and I doubt anyone would argue that.

The Bumblebee miniseries was surprisingly fun and well-written. I loved seeing Bumblebee BEGIN to accept his role as leader, and the fact that he's not instantly great at it--at all.

The ongoing series has some very interesting stuff going on, and I think it's really cool to see Swindle given the Spotlight and something NEW done with Optimus Prime's character.

I haven't been reading the movie-verse stuff, but if the regular continuity books are any indication, I really think IDW is back on-track now!

Comments?

2. mugen_prime

mugen_prime Well-Known Member

With the exception of Bumblebee, yeah I'm diggin the stuff they've been doing. I LOVED Stormbringer to Revelation.

Was somewhat disappointed with AHM, though not as much as a lot of people were. I'm still not a fan of Don's faces in the ongoing, but the story is worth putting up with those faces. Wreckers is pure win. Spotlight Prowl was decent. And most of the AHM Coda were actually decent.

I really wasn't impressed with the writing or the art for Bumblebee, but I still picked up every issue simply because it was somewhat important to the overall story, despite it's major flaws.

So overall I have to say IDW's done a pretty good job. They've made some mistakes, but I'm still liking what they've done.

3. swarlock

swarlock Autobot Supporter

No.

4. Switch625

Switch625 "Up, up, and away!"

I'm enjoying the ongoing series thus far. I like how Hot Rod got his new Rodimus Prime monicker. I like Optimus Prime's decision to surrender. Unlike a lot of people, I think it's perfectly in character. I like how Spike feels he has something to prove, yet I don't like his completely un-military appearance. An emo haircut and 5-o'clock shadow?

Don's new art style has completely grown on me and won me over. I still don't like how Optimus' head looks like a Gundam but everything else clicks for me. It's like G1 and the movie styles merged in the best way possible: we have complex robot modes and transformations, yet all the characters look like themselves and not the jumbled mess that Bay has given us.

I can't spend $4 on many comic books, so I haven't picked up Bumblebee or Wreckers yet, so I can't comment on them.