Is anyone else mad about this?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by seeker311, Dec 10, 2007.

1. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    So originally when the 360 came out, what did we hear?- "oh itll be completely backwards compatible", then "well itll only read certain xbox games but we'll be updating the 360 through Live so itll read all of them" and now we have Xbox originals on Market place where you can download your old Xbox games for 1,200 points a game. Is this not a slap in the face? After they stated that 360 would play old games, then that they would be updating to make it possible, now they just assume we will all go and spend money to download the games we have sitting at home, waiting to be backward compatible? You know, I have both the 360 and PS3 and we can argue about which system is the best but at least the PS3 doesnt blatantly make it obvious that it is after money as Microsoft does.

2. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    I see what you are saying, but I am not really mad.

I don't remember Microsoft ever saying that the 360 would be 100% backwards compatible. Maybe they did, I just don't remember it.

The back\compat list is pretty extensive. So far, there is only one game I have held onto that has not made it on there.

I never really compared and contrasted the Xbox games you could DL to see if they are on the back\compat list. If you can't play your old copy of the game but you can DL and pay for a new copy then I would be pissed.

I am mostly pissed that Microsoft has implemented cool features like the Video Store and Xbox originals, but the 360 hard drive pretty much cripples effectively using them.

I would pay for the larger drive if the price was not so stupid high.

3. Prisoner1138

Prisoner1138 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I remember microsoft saying that the backwards compatibility would be improved over time. I never saw anything saying the 360 was going to be 100% backwards compatible.

edit: Also, not everyone owns the original copies of those xbox games. Heck, Sony also has PS1 games in it's online store for a few bucks, yet you don't have a problem with that? If anything Sony is the bad guy according to your logic, since the original PS3's were backwards compatible with everything due to hardware support which was subsequently removed from later versions and replaced with software support that is not 100%.

4. ShockWave_AZ

ShockWave_AZ Shock and Awe

News Credits:
    I agreed Seeker that this is total crap.

One of the reasons I held off so long on buying a 360 is I wanted my old Xbox games to run on it. I eventually caved in and bought a 360 when the Elites came out.

The other issue that pisses me off is the "renting" of movies on Xbox Live. It would be nice is we could download and watch the movies permentally.

I want to download Transformers in High-Def since I dont have a High-Def DVD player, but you only get it for 24 hours, WTF ?

5. Prisoner1138

Prisoner1138 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    It's the same thing as video-on-demand with digital cable. Besides, if you were to buy a bunch of movies, where would you put them all? Most folks only have 20GB hard drives with their 360. I also seriously doubt that it costs more than a few bucks, compared to going out and buying the HD-DVD version of the movie.

6. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Reason Has No Voice

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Not in the least. If I want to play a non-compatible Xbox game, I'll play it on the system it was intended to be played on. Backwards compatability is just a nice feature, not something I get upset about. And it's a good thing you didn't get the 40 GB PS3 as it has no BC.

7. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

Yeah, I'm not upset about this because I still have my original xbox, and thats what I use to play xbox games on. I can see where you'd be upset seeker esp considering the 360 is basicly the PS2 of Microsoft. Honestly, I play my original xbox more than I play the 360.

8. ShockWave_AZ

ShockWave_AZ Shock and Awe

News Credits:
    That true, its like video on demand. You can buy games and tv shows that dont expire. So why make movies expire. I would rather buy the HD Transformers movie and keep it on the 360 rather than spend 180 on the attachment.... Wait I think I just answered it.

9. DaggersRage

DaggersRage Autistic bastard.

I like to rent movies one in a while. I havent used Xbox's movies yet because of their selection, there's nothing I want to see on there.

10. Boardwise

Boardwise is scary - Sig Killer - M Super Mod

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    What I will be interested to see is when a game comes out on the Xbox Original Platform that isn't originally backwards compatible.

Currently the Xbox Originals are done through software emulation, which makes me wonder if once it's done it will allow the original disc to be used as well as being offered though the Marketplace.

11. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

I don't see the problem here, all the games on marketplace are already back compatable and post a reputable link if you want to convince us that Microsoft promised 100% on launch.

Its not like they missold you the console either, partial back compatability was documented on the internet before the system launched and you shoulden't have brought the system in the first place if it was a dealbreaker.

12. b_ack51

b_ack51 I'm on the interweb!

I haven't played any old games on my ps3 (have the 60gb) and never planned on it. I just play my ps3 games on it.

13. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    I don't have an HD player, but I do have an HDTV so it is nice to be able to rent movies in HD. The only movie I didn't rent in HD was Creepshow 3 and that is a complete waste of money and time.

Yeah, I gotta admit that I don't see the problem either. I am not trying to argue, but I don't see what the issue is.

It's not like Microsoft promised to make more copies of Crimson Skies because its on the Back\Compat list and now they aren't making any more but they are charging extra for you to DL Crimson Skies.

It just seems like they made another way for you to get the game, and I mainly see it as a move to say they have the same features as Sony and Nintendo.

I will only be mad if I see King of Fighters Maximum Impact for DL but not on the BC list.

14. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

I woulden't worry about it, originals is just Microsoft making some free money by using the emulation code they already wrote for back compatability to run downloadable copies of the same stuff that is on the original DVDs.

Its the same principle as using an emulator for a CD based system on your PC. It doesen't matter whether you read the data from an original disc in your optical drive or a ripped image on the HD, its still the same code doing the work.

If it does happen, it'll more likely be the result of a request from the original publisher or developer rather then somesort of evil Microsoft conspiracy to fleece you of your money.

15. pscoop

pscoop Dead inside

News Credits:
    Everyone want's to make money. Maybe the idea is to provide a chance for people who never had the original XBox to own these games. Are they hard to find games?

16. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Even if MS didn't make the 360 100% back-compatible, the games on the list that do work are like 90% of the best games of that generation (with the exception of Chronicles of Riddick, which is not supported). I can play Doom3, Fable, Halo, Cimsom Skies (FTW BTW). So I have yet to be dissapointed by the list.

I do like the PS3's backwards compatability because I do tend to play a lot of PS2 games on it, hell I played through FF12 on it, but I know Beast Wars Transmetals doesn't work on the PS3 (like anyone but me would care), so it's not 100% backwards compatible either.

17. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    Much as I enjoy my 360, the backwards compatibility issues are a problem for me..simply because there are very few games exclusive to the 360 I own/want to own (in fact..I have the only games out for it I really want that aren't on PC as well), whereas I have a good handful or so of Xbox games I'd love to play on my 360 but can't.

And with Sony pulling backwards compatibility on the PS3 (IIRC)...

The only one's to have done it right this gen as far as BC is concerned are Nintendo.

18. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I was only slightly bothered. What DOES bother me is that the downloadable games aren't able to be played unless you are connected to the ineternet. Essentially making it not really yours but more permission to play it under supervision. I could be wrong about all games, but the two I downlaoded, Castlevania:SOTN and Street Fighter 2 aren't playable unless I'm online with the 360. Unfortnately for me I'm not always in a place I can hook it up online, so this is bothersome.

19. JinraiPrime

JinraiPrime 1000+ Post Club Member

what im pissed at is the video store isnt available in canada, and when i asked the xbox techies why they said that it wasnt econimically viable for them to put the video store in full operations in canada. I said but it is economically viable to take my 60 bucks every year, then i was told i pay for the service i dont pay for the video store.... !? !@#$%^&*

20. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    Umm...

If it's after 4:00 where you live, you don't have to be pissed anymore.
    Otherwise, you can remain pissed until 4:00. :lolol 

And how is it not economically viable to to offer a service to download?
    Makes no sense to me.