Is anyone else just kind of "over" TF?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by tony77tony77, Aug 29, 2011.

1. Grandum

Grandum Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Nah - been here since the begining and I share beast wars ravages views on the subject.

Decepticons Forever - YouTube

I will be here until I die - allways trying to perfect g1 style collection.

If anything I am cautiously optimistic about the future - classics have made an impact and will hopefully make someone at Hasbro acknowledge that and pay that some more attention (not holding my breath for this one though)

The comic is continuing, hopefully introducing some new characters to the g1 universe and into my collection.

I think alot of movie fans will start to move on to other things (not all ofc) hopefully bringing the state of the community back to what it was pre movies when people could actually say they liked g1 without comments like "waaaah - GEEEWUN" from the younger crowd.

Third parties are popping up all over the place giving us alot of options and picks up where Hasbro is slacking, increasing the odds of having certain characters released/perfected.

Hopefully the movie asthetic will stop influencing future lines after a few incarnations as well.

Yeah...cautiosly optimisitic...these are exciting times

2. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh Mostly Harmless

News Credits:
    First, how can you say they don't pay attention to classics. That simply isn't true: they have filled classics with fan love. Just because they haven't given us things like oldschool combiners for marketing reasons and such? There's always 3rd parties stepping up to fill that gap and Hasbro doesn't even actively go against them. so you have options (not so sure about Takara on this issue). Hasbro isn't lacking here, they are more limited in certain aspects compared to the full freedom third parties have.

Second, it's silly to think that "when the movie fans finally go away we'll be at peace again!". As far as I know liking G1 doesn't make you a geewunner, heck, I like almost all of the toylines including G1; it's those who only accept G1 and actively insult every other toyline (they especially hate movies) and instead of saying they just don't like them, they have to insult both the figures and those who like them. Of course, there are idiots like this on both sides: many movie fans hate G1 fans without reason.

Thing is, even if they go away, it's not like the TF franchise hasn't been RUINED FOREVER by... well, pretty much everything new. When the movies go away it'll be Prime, then the toyline after that, and so forth.

Finally, there are aspects of the movie aesthetic that should influence future lines. Mainly, more attention to realistic (not necessarily licensed) altmodes. Some aspects outside the aesthetic too, like the huge leap in design and engineering, should make future lines better than anything we've seen. We've already seen a peek of this in the Prime toyline's sorcery-like transformations.

3. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

I just love his post and the looking at his sig. Kinda of hypocrite, ins´t it?

4. process

process Hanlon's razor Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I'm getting there. I love my toys to death, but it's getting to that "enough's enough" point. I can't afford, spatially and fiscally, to keep accumulating the way I have been. I've already cut my hobby budget 20%, and I just need to get myself to start selling things.

5. Prowl 2009

Prowl 2009 A Decepticons Downfall

I'm not.

6. Warpshard

Warpshard Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I hate repaints,,but if they are better then the first figure,I'll get that one instead.

7. videriant

videriant Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I don't think Hasbro is producing more exclusives per se. I think you are just paying more attention to what's out there. The two exclusives you pointed out are different because they are big ticket items and it's either exclusive or no release.

Everyone else has gotten to the rest of your post so I'll just hit up these two. First, what make you think that Hasbro is not paying attention? The success of Classics led to Universe which lead to Generations plus RTS which includes obscure figures and new heads. Seems like they are paying attention to me. On the movie front, I agree with you that I do not like them influencing CHUG but I do have to give props to the movie. Classics was a lackluster peg-warming line before the movie came along. Everything CHUG could have died right there. All those trillions of trillions of bumblebees is R&D money that gets dumped back into other bots I love also.

8. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

If people are happy buying their figures regardless of your taste, then it´s money spent = happiness. The way you put the G1 figures on such a high pedestal make them seem that they are wonder in engineering when in realty most of them are pretty boring figures, aside from the combiners. And to finalize, you seem to be pretty elitist regarding your status as a customizer, when in reality, most of the people don´t have the time or patience to customize figures.

9. PorkChopKB

PorkChopKB Bay Harbor Butcher

News Credits:
    I started feeling this way about a year ago, I only collect classics style and exclusives. There are a few here and there I'll pick up but not much.

10. Trailbreaker77

Trailbreaker77 Camaro Club! Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I expect to see some more threads just like this after the holiday's this year. Hasbro's stock will show the same decline next year because it's a "Non-movie" year.

11. Grandum

Grandum Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I never said that they didn't pay attention to classics - what I said was that I was hoping for them to pay them MORE attention - big difference.

IF I had stated that they didn't pay them any attention then yes, I agree with you - it wouldn't be true.

But yeah, I think it could do with some more attention, I mean I think we've gotten more movie bumblebees at this point than we have classics (hopefully that was an exaguration...but you see my point)

And I don't think that it would kill Hasbro to actually run a new cartoon based off of the classic figures, or start up an international comic based on the figures - figures that span several different types of aesthetics because the first batch was released over five years ago, making the first set of figures almost look outdated when compared to the newer ones...and we still haven't even finished off the 1984 crew.

And sure, Hasbro has to abide by laws that third parties don't - but do you really think that just slapping some green pain on an energon brick and calling it classics devastator is enough of an effort? Don't you think that more effort could have been put in to make some new molds at least? Regardless of if they combine or not.

Don't get me wrong - I am thrilled about the fact that it has gotten as much attention as it has - but that doesn't mean that that is enough attention in my book.

If you think that the reason why Hasbro isn't going after third party companies in China, the land of knockoffs and forgeries is because of fan love then you're either delusional or you're kidding yourself. There is a reason why all the countries in the world are putting preassure on china to enforce copy right laws - they barely enforce them.

Sorry if I'm sounding harsh, btw - don't mean to.

I think we have different experiences when it comes to this forum and g1 hate then...you see my experience hasn't been that at all - my experience has been that if you discuss the movie with one of the newer fans then you have to explicitly declare that you enjoyed the movies at the begining of your post if you are to stand a chance to avoid being labeled a GEEWUNNER - even if it is to bring up a small detail that ALL previous incarnations of TFs have shared you get labeled a GEEWUNNER

I get it - alot (not all) of these people are kids and you have to be extra patient with them...but after all these years of undeserved abuse I do kind of want to go back to the fandom as it was pre movies...you might not want that...but I do.

Oh and just for the record - I like all tf lines pretty much with the exception of movie toys and animated - so I'm not exclusive to G1 by any stretch of the imagination. I like new stuff and change - I do, but I don't like it unreservedly because it's transformers.

When it comes to the enineering part I agree - that has benefitted us. If you like the aesthtic of the movie toys then good for you...but I don't so I for one would be happy to see transformers look more like robots and less like insects.

no worries, mate - that's what a forum is for :p 

I just want to stress that I said more attention, not that they are ignoring the line - I touched on why I think that in my reply to Gilgamesh here right above yours...but basicly I just think they could have done more with the classics line than what they have done. Classics actually sold really well in my area, but yeah - if they pegwarmed at your area then I think that is a perfect example of more attention that could have been paid to the line, like a supporting (global) comic or a cartoon...and the generation 1 cartoon is too outdated to be able to get kids longin for classics toys...some of the characters in the g1 cartoon doesn't even look like the toys (classics megatron or devastator - I'm lookin' at you) I hope that explains it.

12. twiztidRodimus

twiztidRodimus Shattered Glass Autobot

News Credits:
    Agreed. And Indeed. People that leave now that the 3rd film is finishing up, The full on fans can restake the claim. I can't wait. I will not give it up, TF has been around in my life too long. And I love it. Its the one hobby outside of reading/writing that I have. (I collect Spawn figures as well)

13. videriant

videriant Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    unicorn-loving Thundercat fans?

14. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh Mostly Harmless

News Credits:
    No worries, you didn't come off as harsh in either post. The attention part did sound a bit like if Hasbro was half-assing everything, but that was just how I read it. I mostly keep myself out of the G1 hate fights you mention because I generally avoid the Movie forums (I like the toys, don't care much for the movies themselves). You're right about the age demographic the movies tend to attract.

About the 3rd companies, of course I know Hasbro isn't ignoring them out of the goodness of their hearts, but they do look the other way more than they could, mainly because even in the heavier cases of outright mold theft (igear), they don't harm their business that much and they keep the collector interest alive. Even with China's copyrightinfringetastic ways, there's more they could do if they really, really wanted to.

Basically the main point I was trying to bring is that, movieverse or not, this fandom seems to love arguing about the newest line, just remember Beast Wars, Armada, I think even RiD got some hate. Maybe the conflict with the movieverse feels heavier because of the sheer quantity of people it attracted to the franchise. While many of them maybe will wander off when the movie fame goes away, many others will stay because they discovered the TF universe has a lot more to offer, and will have a lot more in the future since they have to keep this alive after he movies. Prime, as Animated before it, will get a lot of bashing too.

15. Pride21

Pride21 Honor Wisdom Virtue

I have been thinking the same thing.

The market is more than likely going to be flooded with movie figures.

I already have Voyager Megatron & Shockwave not really looking for anymore.

Until about a month or two before christmas when the Prime wave comes out.

I'll probably end up buying Voyager Optimus Prime.

Maybe a Voyager Megatron if it ends up seeing the light of day.

At least it gives me time and money to focus on other lines (DCUC mainly).

That is until Classics resumes. Need a few more Decepticons to help balance things out.

I have been a bit curious about the 4"/6" line of Thundercats. Maybe I'll look up reviews.

16. Knightdramon

Knightdramon Hasbro LIES to the US

News Credits:
    Nope, if anything there's more passion and product out now than anytime before.

Animated is probably my favourite line, ROTF my second favourite, and we're getting classic characters every other year. Who would have thought that when we got bumblebee and hot rod as a filler line in classics, we'd be getting Kup, Perceptor and Blurr a few years later?

I love Prime [the show] and am looking forward to throwing cash at hasbro for those figures.

We've gotten some amazing masterpiece figures [if you got lucky with Rodimus and got no QC issues] and there's more in the horizon.

If anything, the only thing bugging me is that I'm collecting *some* hot toys figures and those eat up my budget tremendously before I'm considering some TF Prime toys.

17. alternator77

alternator77 Well-Known Member

i dont think im done but i am scaling back my collecting to[ alternity&mp],[classics & fp] stuff these releases are really good quality and add to my classics/ mp displays. as far as movie and cartoon stuff im going to pass.

18. OCProwl

OCProwl Autobot Dad

News Credits:
    I'm not but I think my wife is. ;) 

19. Takeshi357

Takeshi357 "Research"

News Credits:
    It ain't over till it's over!

20. ex dtw2003

ex dtw2003 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Is it a bad sign that I _just_ started collecting and my wife is already at this point?