Is anyone else concerned about the current trajectory of the IDW collection for TFs?

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by micah1199, Oct 5, 2014.

1. micah1199

micah1199 Well-Known Member

Is anyone else concerned about the current trajectory of the IDW collection for transformers. I just got my phase 2 volume one hardcover and loved it. I like the fact that IDW would release their complete IDW transformers catalog in these collections. We are now at phase 3 and the first volume of phase 2 just came out after a long hiatus and the page count is down? Is anyone else worried that this great project will be aborted before completion?

2. mentok27

mentok27 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    nah. I'm happy with what's essentially a 2 trade into each HC line. not sure if I want the autocracy trilogy in publishing order or left to out to become its own thing.

3. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think Autocracy/Monstrosity/Primacy will be a vol #0 special.

4. micah1199

micah1199 Well-Known Member

That would by a great idea for "acy" books.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Predakwon

Predakwon ...Green Lantern's light!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I wouldn't say worried about it being canceled as much as the next book being delayed a year or so.

6. Blurrz

Blurrz J├Ągermeister Sensei

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Tumblr:
    I dont know how you guys wait for the HCs lol. Im barely patient enough to delay my readings until the TPBs come out.

Im sure the collections will end up covering everything, they wont miss out on making more money.

7. Newholl

Newholl Banned

I hear MTMTE and RID will be canceled if sales go bellow 9,000 copies.

8. Lord Of Tetris

Lord Of Tetris Well-Known Member

Wait, is this sarcasm? I can't tell.

9. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Don't let this happen.

10. Matt_M

Matt_M Snarkabot

News Credits:
    I think the books largely retain the quality they've had since their relaunch, though I think everyone likes MTMTE better.

11. Lbsammills51

Lbsammills51 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    No.

Though I wish they'd come out a bit faster, I guess there will be more time between volumes now since the shift to the two ongoings wasn't that long ago and these are meant to be a bit more expansive than your average TPB.

That said, throwing the "acy" minis and recent Spotlights should help cover ground without causing them to catch up too quickly to post-DC issues.

12. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    I buy the digital releases and later buy the TPB.

13. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You heard wrong.

5000 is the "unofficial" number at which IDW look to cancel series if they regularly fall beneath it.

Sorry for the double post, but missed this - I much prefer RID to MTMTE!

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2017
  14. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    More correct would be, that more people like MTMTE.

But I think official numbers would be wiser to refer to, than the vocal majority of people here, so we would know for certain.

15. JoeHavok

JoeHavok Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Man, you guys have way too much patience to wait for the hard covers or collections. I have a subscription going at my local comic shop, and love it.

16. Merdock12

Merdock12 Well-Known Member

Questions for you guys:

I don't buy single issues and instead wait for the TPB to come out. I have all the IDW trades up to date. I see the Hardcover editions and I think they look really sweet and I read that they are *supposed* to be in the correct reading order which is really nice. However, it also appears they don't have any real bonus content. I don't want to miss out on bonus stuff, specifically stuff like what the original hardcover of LSOTW comes with like "Bullets" and the side stories, I read that isn't included in the IDW edition containing LSOTW.

Do you think it's worth collecting the hardcovers and trying to sell off the TPBs, or just stick with the TPB?

Thanks, guys

17. grindcore138

grindcore138 Handsome like an F-22

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    They're great if you came into IDW's Transformers later in the run and just want everything all together instead of the individual TPBs, but none of them have any bonus content, so it's your call really.
    The stories are in a "suggested reading order" which doesn't always work as well as it should due to certain Spotlights being meant to take place during the events of one or more issues of a main series or being set in the past or whatever.

I don't think there's any need to worry about IDW dropping the hardcover collection series. Volume 1 only came out in 2010 when there was already enough material that the hardcover's release schedule wouldn't catch up to the then-current material.
    Vol. 1 - May 2010
    Vol. 2 - October 2010
    Vol. 3 - March 2011
    Vol. 4 - May 2011
    Vol. 5 - December 2011
    Vol. 6 - May 2012
    Vol. 7 - October 2012
    Vol. 8 - May 2013
    P2 Vol. 1 - September 2014

With MTMTE and RID being up to 36 issues each, plus 6 new spotlights, the Windblade mini, the -acies, and just started Empire of Stone at this point in time, there should be enough material to see a new Phase 2 hardcover maybe every 6/7/8 months without catching up to single issues or TPBs.

18. ZeroiaSD

ZeroiaSD Autobot

In general, both tend to stay quite close, with RiD usually having a small lead, likely due to having more of the 'main' bots, Starscream, Bumblebee, Orion/Optimus, etc.. Though with Megatron on MtMtE it got first place in October. Still rather close.

And sales wise? They are rocks, the both of them. They barely decline month to month, and Dark Cybertron gave them a boost that hasn't completely faded so they're better than they were a year ago. Comic books as stable as either of them are very rare in comics, and IDW knows it. Higher sales are great, but there's plenty of comfort in having books that can run three years at very stable levels.

19. Nebokalypse

Nebokalypse Well-Known Member

Sorry to bump this old thread, but I am actually quite concerned about the IDW Collection. I started with this option, since I a) don't like digital copies (I still buy books, and have 3 Billy-shelfs full of them) b) After the whole "New 52"-didaster at DC I stopped buying individual comic issues (The IDW collection so far fits both) and c) It seemed to be the best option to get the complete saga in the correct order (well, apart, from later issues/stoylines, which played before event "xyz", e.g. "Autocracy".
    However. until now (septermber 2017) we are still waiting for issue 6 of Phase 2, which is just before "Dark Cybertron", an event which happened back in 2013-2014... almost 4 years ago.
    On one hand, I am happy, that these Collections doesn't publish too often, due to it's price (especially, if you are living outside of the US, and maybe the UK), but on the other hand: There's four years (!) of stuff, which already happened, and there are three, or four ongoing series... so, why doesn't IDW publish these collections faster?
    As I said, it's great, that I don't have to buy a trade-issue every month, but for an ongoing series (or more than one), I would expect, that the issues would at least publish once every three-to-six months.
    I mean: I've heard some things about the DJD, but I actually know nothing about them... I knew about Shockwave's death, but I can't read about it... I know about Prowl being part of Devastator (since back, when CW's/UW's Devastator was "a thing"... but I don't know the context, the backgrounds, or anything else about these things, just because IDW doesn't publish these issues (more, or less) regulary.
    What am I supposed to do? Sell my issues (which look actually very nice in their form on my shelf) to buy other collections?

20. Predakwon

Predakwon ...Green Lantern's light!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I mean, at least next phase 2 vol 7 is up on Amazon for pre-order https://www.amazon.com/dp/1684051495/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I1FKIS1R13INAO&colid=2H202R9LOSLFR

Also, I think the next vol 6 is due next month

I'm more concerned with the GI Joe HCs and TF UK TPBs collections. Now those are up in limbo