Is anybody serious when....

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by BigRC83, Jul 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    This thread is big lols- er, I mean, this are serious business.

G1 Toys are fun. They have lots of gimmicky things and stuff and are funny looking little things. Animated is pretty much the same only replace "G1" with "Animated" and "funny looking" with "cool".

But yeah, Animated > G1 pretty much for me.

This is pretty much what I was going to add.

2. Pikatron

Pikatron Well-Known Member

As obvious as it may seem, it explains why I think Animated toys are better than G1 toys. Some people don't get that and I just wanted to point it out. :) 

3. Mospeada

Mospeada Since '84

News Credits:
    I grew up with G1 toys, and we're remembering a lot of them through rose colored glasses. Look at G1 Ratchet and Ironhide, with those stupid door-face bodies. I'll take my Animated Ratchet toy any day of the week. Hell, one of my favorite Ratchet toys is the freaking Heroes of Cybertron PVC...because it looks just like him! (I know there are custom head attachments coming out...)

Anyway, as people have already stated, a lot of the G1 figures lacked articulation, and I think that's one of the main things that makes some consider Animated to be a superior toyline. Many G1 Transformers could move their arms and that was it...several Animated figures are ball jointed. Look at the posability of the Battle Begins 2 pack version of Megatron compared to G1 Megatron. Sure, the gun mode was better, but the robot mode I give to Animated.

Look at the G1 Bumblebee. It's comparable to the McDonald's Happy Meal Bumblebee that's out now. They're about the same size and articulation. I think that's awesomely retro, I love the McDonald's 'bee, but if you want a posable Bumblebee figure, the Bumblebee Activator has a much more attractive bot mode.

4. unclemarsellus

unclemarsellus Imaginaut

A lot of this reminds me of "newer" Star Trek fans who would dismiss the Original Series because the special effects and costumes were sub-par compared to what they were accustomed to in shows and movies of their era. It's dated, doesn't compare, yeah it set the table for everything after but it's not really that good... a lot of the same arguments.

In the end, it's a big, "Whatever!" I'm almost 30. I grew up with G1. Those are the characterizations I love and cherish. Yup, I'd choose a G1 toy over a modern equivalent; even a Masterpiece version of a beloved G1 toy. In the end it doesn't mean anything. We're all framed by our experiences, when we grew up, and how that framed our tastes.

For me, the new toys are an object of lust. Shallow and immediate. G1 is true love. ;) 

5. ian5555

ian5555 Well-Known Member

I like G1 better, just my personal preference as I htink they are way cooler. I think animated are better toys for kids though and they look more like the cartoon.

I find it funny people are making the arguement that just because they have better features and articulation you shoud like them better.

This is like comparing a 65 Mustang to a 2008 Honda Civic. Sure the Civic has better features, but it's just not quite a 65 Mustang now is it? But if you compared it to a 2008 Ferrari then you got something but there are still people who like the 65 Mustang better.

There might be reasons why YOU like somethig better but just because YOU like siomething better then everyone else should. There doesn't have to be logic to explain it LOL

6. brr-icy

brr-icy MP Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    armada is one of the worst lines to scar the face of tfs lol, i like g1, much bigger line than anything else will ever be, articulation doesn't matter to me, the transformations do, so i think g1 and animated are pretty close, but i'll keep my g1s over my animated figs anyday

7. Peaugh

Peaugh Hi.

News Credits:
    Oh, I agree, I grew up on G1, and I still like it today. I also love Beast Wars and Animated, and I think there are some great toys in the Energon and Cybertron lines, but the cartoons I didn't dig, and I pretty much despise everything Armada. It's cool. But a simple "I happen to Like Animated/G1/Cybertron/whatever" works fine. It's the "G1 (or whatever) IS THE BESTEST. PERIOD." attitude that I don't get.

8. GW_Freak

GW_Freak Banned

I like Animated toys more than any other line, including G1, Alternators and Classics. They are the best Transformers line as a whole ever. However, my favorite Transformer of all time is Leader Class Movie Optimus.

9. Goaliebot

Goaliebot All Makes and Models

News Credits:
    Yes I'm serious, and don't call me Shirley.

----------

I can't believe this is even an argument! Anyone with half a brain can easily see the obvious superiority in every factor of Star Trek: The Next Generation over the original Star Trek! Picard FTW! EPIC LOLZ!!!!

:p 

10. MGX

MGX Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    What's THAT prove? Without Beast Wars, G1 and Transformers PERIOD would still be as dead as the GoBots.

11. MGX

MGX Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This is asinine.

It's like comparing Collecovision to PS3. Or a Model T to a Civic. The rose-colored glasses of some fanboys reach ridiculous levels beyond any common sense.

You wanna compare G1? Compare G1 Ratchet to Animated. Which figure actually transforms? Which figure would a kid have more fun playing with? Which figure looks more like his incarnation on the show? (And don't give me that bull about likenesses not mattering. If you could have a show accurate Brawn or Ironhide rather than a toy that looks nothing like them, you'd take it.) Which figure can still look good after being dunked in water? (See if you get this one...)

12. Mechafire

Mechafire Shadow Broker Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    So you are saying you don't like the cartoon?

13. Autobotic9

Autobotic9 Well-Known Member

I love G1, i don't own any toys, but I consider buying some, and I cant. The lack of posability just stops me. I would rather buy a good animated toy.

14. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    G1 nor Animated would in my top 3 TF lines.

15. Red Alert

Red Alert Security

News Credits:
    :eek:  explain?

16. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Oh, okay. I didn't realize that before, but you said it, and you're...IhsanTheCursed! So, y'know, it must be true.

I understand these threads are inherently ridiculous, since there's only one answer to the OP's question: it's personal taste. You can offer examples or specifics, but that's the answer. And cool, it's a TF board, that's a sensible thing to debate.

But I don't get your thing for making these "factual statements" that, well, aren't factual. And the whole "sir" thing? Really? 'Cause it doesn't look polite. It looks like what it is--veiled sarcasm.

17. Ice_T

Ice_T Well-Known Member

I love Generation 1. But if there was no nostalgia, and both toylines came out right now, there would be absolutely no question that Animated wins. Compare the Bumblebees, the Ratchets, Starscreams, Megatrons, etc. This is no contest. They should be better than toys made 25 years ago anyways.

18. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Agreed on all counts. It's not every day I agree with squirrelcar, but this is one of those times where it's extremely obvious that the answer to the question is personal taste.

19. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    Well for starters Cybertron/GF, Alternators/Binaltech, and Beast Wars would blow out everything and anything either of those lines has to offer.

What G1 has going for it for me is that there is a number of individual toys that really do stand head of shoulders above the rest. Examples of this would be such gems as Predaking, Star Saber, Victory Leo, Overlord, etc.. etc... amongst others. For me it's the line as a whole though that would probably stand out just above the middle of the pack (maybe 4-5th). As for Animated it would be less then average and would be hanging out with Energon. RiD, and Armada overall.

But hey honestly I love TF's as a whole and we all gotta realize everybody has there own unique likes and dislikes :) 

20. AlanGarou

AlanGarou Well-Known Member

Ihsan, please go back to your beta players and floppy disks and leave us in peace. Also, please learn proper punctuation. A person your age shouldn't be on a lower writing level than my little brother.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.