Is anybody serious when....

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by BigRC83, Jul 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BigRC83

BigRC83 I'm singing in the rain

News Credits:
    they say the Animated toy line is superior to G1? How can anybody say that and be still be serious? G1 is by far the best there is the best there was and the best there will ever will be. The best proof is in the kitbashes. Nobody tries to customize there figures to look like any of the characters from the other Transformer series other than G1. Post your opinions.

2. Takara_destron

Takara_destron Mainly lurking these days

Ebay:
    Its opinion. Different people have different ones. So yes I'd assume many people are serious.

3. Pikatron

Pikatron Well-Known Member

I hope you're not serious when you say that G1 is better than Animated. o_0

The G1 toys don't really look like their cartoon selves and have little-to-no articulation at all. I think the Animated line is the best thus far. They're a nice homage to G1 Transformers, are as cartoon accurate as can be and generally have great articulation.

4. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Both have merits.

5. Nightwind

Nightwind Aka Dusty Bottoms.

I would say that, in terms of engineering and design, Animated is superior to G1. I would also say that this probably has a lot to do with the fact that Animated is also 25 years younger than G1 toys, so there should be much better improvements by now.

In response to repaints being G1 specific, I think it's completely obvious that this is due to the fact most of the collectors here were first introduced to the line through the original cartoon and as a result will have more of an affinity for those original characters. It doesn't mean that the new toys aren't as good, it's just a nostalgia thing.

I would like to mention that I've seen several non-G1 kitbashes/repaints in Radicons. Even an Animated Lockdown repainted into Dinobot from the Beast Wars series. (Sorry I can't remember who did the repaint!)

6. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    While I respect G1 for being the first TF series and toy line, I personally don't like it at all. Compared to todays toys, G1's are pretty much what their nickname says, bricks. As for kitbashes, it has more to do with homaging the character more than it does the original toy. Another reason why you see more G1 homage kitbashes is that pretty much every line since G1 has had supperior articulation to G1 (with some exceptions, specifically some Armada figs), and don't really need updates that would thus have more articulation. In the end it's all personal opinion, there are people who only like G1, there are people who only like Beast Wars, etc...

The easiest thing to do is just accept that everybody has a different opinion on the matter.

7. Counterpunch?

Counterpunch? Interior Renovator

Ebay:
    I really dislike how articulation has become the end-all and be-all of toys. It's great when it's there, but it isn't a necessity for an awesome toy.

On a simialr note, toys back in the early and mid-eighties were made popular by the amount of 'things' the toy could do and the number of parts it had. Optimus Prime rocked because he was a robot and all, but his trailer had a TON of stuff to it and was entirely feature based.

A better example are the GI Joe vehicles of that time period. Hell, each one did something and came with like 20 parts.

8. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    As someone that dislikes G1 (not enough bang for my buck, IMO) and dislikes Animated (too kiddy), I think I'm fairly well qualified to make a statement.

If I were going to go out and spend $20 today, I will definitely use it on Animated over G1. Dollar for dollar, Animated toys are far superior to G1. I had a couple of the G1 reissues at one point. All I was comfortable doing with them was displaying them. If that's you're thing, great, but I actually expect to open and enjoy what I pay for.

Ideally speaking, Classics/Universe 2.0 is the best line out there. Nails all the modern concepts AND manages to make the characters look enough like G1 to satisfy the fanboys.

9. BigRC83

News Credits:
    I'm not saying that the rest of the non G1 Toys are cr@p. Some are excellent. It is very hard to understand that some people prefer the other lines especially Animated.

10. EvaUnit13

EvaUnit13 REBUILD

Bwahaha, heehee, hoohoo, haahaa[/Joker]

Any toyline is better than G1's toys, hell even Armada had a crappy gimmick, but it was still a step up from G1

11. IhsantheCursed

IhsantheCursed Banned

G1 is the best. Period.

12. Soundblaster1

News Credits:
    Like I said, dollar for dollar, I'm going to buy whatever's on the shelves now. If I can get a modern deluxe or G1 Powerglide, I think I'm gonna go for the modern deluxe because I'll get my money out of it.

13. BigRC83

News Credits:
    Probably the main reason why I prefer G1 is because I love 1970s-80s Japaneses robot look. Animated does not offer that.

14. Red Alert

Red Alert Security

News Credits:
    The best how?

diecast=yes
    articulation=no
    design=no
    kibble=no
    retro=yes

15. EvaUnit13

EvaUnit13 REBUILD

Exactly, you prefer it, but other people don't like things that can barely move and don't resemble anything like the show

16. IhsantheCursed

IhsantheCursed Banned

Fixed. :) 

17. Mechafire

Mechafire Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
  18. Red Alert

Red Alert Security

News Credits:
    but how is g1 the best?

the best at kibble,bricks,partformers.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2008
  19. Mechafire

Mechafire Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
  20. Soundblaster1

News Credits:
    Did I mention that I grew up with Beast Wars and I still prefer modern stuff? Retro means nothing to me in terms of picking favorites.

As for accessories... To each his own... I personally do not like carrying around bags of parts every time I want to transform a figure.

And for those that claim G1 is durable... Slog, Shockwave, Swoop, and numerous others would like a word with you... And show me a broken Animated Bulkhead.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.