Is Animated worth collecting?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by rustyshark, Aug 9, 2009.

1. rustyshark

rustyshark G1 FTW

Well im kinda going through withdraws on ROTF as the new waves havent really hit my area yet. So I was thinking about picking up some animated figures. I just recently started watching the show. Its not half bad, kinda kiddish compared to the other transformer series but its growing on me slowly.
    I already have an Animated Soundwave and I really like him. I got him because im a huge soundwave fan. But recently while searching for my new ROTF figures I have been looking more seriously at the Animated line. Ive already decided to pick up an Animated Grimlock Voyager and was thinking of getting more. Im not sure if I want to go all out and collect the entire series like I do with other lines but am thinking about it. I am more of a G1/Bayformers kinda fan.
    Are the figures really any good? Which are the best Animated figures to get. I have been watching some reviews on youtube and I kinda like the Optimus Voyager, Bulkhead and Megs Leaders and a few other ones. I really like bulkhead on the show lol.
    In general is Animated any good. I dont see many folks really talking about them much in the Toy forum. Just looking for opinions on if you like the Animated line and which ones are really good.
    Thanks

2. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    people dont talk much about it anymore because it had it's own dedicated forum for a very long time, and all the ongoing discussions about the toys went away when the forum was closed. combined with the fact that the line is done (until the final waves are released sometime in the future) and everything has mostly been discussed to death.

I say go for it. I love the animated line, and its the only line that I have ever been driven to be a completionist with. there arent really any figures to avoid with it, they're all great aside from some scale issues with lugnut that some people cant seem to get over. the designs are all really great. Animated prowl is the best damn motorcycle bot we'll likely ever get, with no kibble in either mode. blackarachnia is a lot more slender than I expected, its hard to believe she actually transforms. just the fact that they were able to take the show designs and make them into almost perfectly accurate toys is a major selling point for the line to me. show accuracy has never been this high, and that means a lot in a show with such innovative, dynamic designs that are absolutely filled with character. designs that we arent likely to see ever again in the transformers franchise.

if you want animated, realize that this is the last chance you will ever have to get the current figures at retail. if you have interest, grab them now, or you'll regret it later.

if you want a lot of thoughts on the toys, head to the feedback forum. and the video review subforum.

or just go here, to peaugh's video reviews. I think he actually reviewed the entire line: http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=CC94BE7089D0A814

3. TheFallen

TheFallen Megatronus

News Credits:
    I love the Animated toy line, its what got me back into the TF toys. Animated's design puts alot of character and personality into the toys. You pretty much can't go wrong with many of of the figures except for a few (Snarl for example unless getting all 3 dinobots). I'd recommend all 3 leaders, voyager optimus, swoop, blackarachnia, waspinator, ratchet... Its hard to go wrong with animated as long as you like the look of the toys. You may find yourself getting more than you expect, I only have eight toys left to buy until I have a toy for each character available.

4. T-Logicon

T-Logicon assembles the drones

I really like the animated line. There are alot of very good figures in this line. Some of my favorites are, Ultra Magnus (both color versions), Leader Megatron (I have the shadow blade version -AWESOME color scheme), Jazz, Blurr, voyager Grimlock, Sentinal Prime, SkywarpStarscreamSunstorm, Shockwave (either color). In fact the only TFA figures I didnt care for were Bumblebee(both versions), and Ratchet(mainly the original version - I think they fixed the leg issue with the "Rescue" version). Those 3 seemed to have the QC issues that alot of people kept talking about. I really enjoyed collecting this line and they are all on display. In fact the only TFA figures/molds I dont have are leader Bulkhead, activators Cliffjumper and Dirge. TFA hasnt gone to clearance yet in my area, but they probably will at some point. You might be able to get some good TFA action cheap before too long.

5. TheFallen

TheFallen Megatronus

News Credits:
    I stupidly decided to put animated on hold to buy ROTF figures(because they are new:dunce ) and missed out on getting Wreck-Garr when my TRU had a couple.:banghead: 

6. Nemesis_Dirge

Nemesis_Dirge Banned

News Credits:
    Hell no!!!

7. perithimus

perithimus Well-Known Member

I am going to say yes. This was one hell of a line whose toys had a lot of character. I have collected every figure from this line with the exceptions of a few repaints. I say go for it. It will not be long before these guys are not going to be available in retail.

8. SharkyMcShark

SharkyMcShark Hi. I'm better than you

News Credits:
    No, it isn't. There are some good figures but on the whole the engineering, complexity and quality control was a large step back from where it had been in previous lines.

The figures that are worth getting on their own merits are Blurr, Ultra Magnus and Prowl (either version).

Distribute your money elsewhere accordingly

9. barrelks

barrelks Captain Funtastic

News Credits:
    I didn't like them at first (and cant stand the cartoon). The first few I got didn't really seem to fit together, but as I started adding to the collection, they really formed a nice group that really fit in well as a whole collection. I am now only missing "The Twins" which I can't seem to pull the trigger on, EG Bumblebee, Rescue Ratchet, and Clear Lockdown. I will probably get "The Twins" in the near future to round out my collection. I really like them, and you can find some nice deals on some of the Leaders right now if you look around. Are they goofy, childish characters- yes. Are they a "serious adult-style line"- no. Do they have there merit and look good- yes.

I suggest (as someone else did) looking at the reviews, and pics and seeing if they are something you are into. I would look at some group shots to see what they look like as a "team" and see if they are something that would fit in with your collection, cause I can see how they arnt for everyone.

10. KingGrimlock

KingGrimlock Assuming Direct Control

Yes, and animated soundwave truly is the shit, Soundwave + Kamina shades= WIN. Yeah the line is quite nice get lockdown; blazing lockdown is probably easiest to find out of all the lockdowns to find, as he was quite a big shelfwarmer in my area, Blurr is nice, Jazz is nice, Grimlock is good, Voyager and Deluxe Prime are good,Ultra Magnus is good, and Leader Megatron is good. The entire line is good these are just highlights. They're easy to transform, but fun and innovative at the same time. So id say go for it.

11. mugen_prime

mugen_prime Well-Known Member

I personally LOVED the line and the cartoon. I think they're DEFINITELY worth it. Often times with the animated toys, it's almost hard to believe their robot modes actually turn into vehicles. Their transformations for the most part are genius.

12. ORIO

ORIO Plant-Based Bot Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    If you pass on Animated figures, you're missing out. Plain and simple.

They are EXTREMELY fun.

13. SilverDragon

SilverDragon YEAH TOAST!

News Credits:
    Yes. Yes. OHGODYES.

Animated's brilliant, particularly in how the toys are essentially perfect representations of their on-screen personas. Also, the toys are just plain fun.

Grimlock is a great toy, as are the other Dinobots (Snarl is somewhat limited, though).

14. BMGFX

BMGFX Awesome Spooner Veteran

Animated is the first "Show" line since G1 that I have tried to go all out on (started with RID but the show kind of killed it for me so I stopped buying the toys), and the first toy line since Alternators that I have tried to get as much as I could. I pretty much went for character completion with the line, and I love them all.

15. Paxtin

Paxtin Why am I here?

Not much of us talk about Animated anymore because the line more or less has come to an end. And most of us own near all the ones that have already been out.

Despite the few still grumpy naysayers, Animated was just as good as any other TF line. It just comes down to whether or not you like the visual style. Again, much like any other TF line.
    Chances are, if you see an animated fig you think you'll like, then it's probably going to be worth picking up. So go for it.

Personal suggestions:

Deluxe Prowl. (Original version.)
    Deluxe Lockdown.
    Deluxe Swindle.
    Voyager Shockwave.
    Leader Ultra Magnus.

16. Gearshift

Gearshift Lady of the Dark Throne

News Credits:
    This is the only line I have ever gone even close to completionist on.

ROTF will only have me get a select few. I say get Animated.

17. SharkyMcShark

SharkyMcShark Hi. I'm better than you

News Credits:
    I just want to reiterate that you shouldn't waste your money on a large portion of this line.

Unless you like figures that have laughably simple transformations for their size (Starscream, Leader Megatron), fall apart when you transform them (Blackarachnia, Wasp, Swoop), don't really transform into anything (Voyager Megatron, Jetstorm and Jetfire), have awful quality control (Lockdown, Ratchet), or have their robot modes gimped by their transformation and design laziness (Sentinel Prime, Grimlock).

18. Digilaut

Digilaut My name is Drift.

News Credits:
    Animated toys rock...IF you like the stylized designs. If it's not your cup of tea, I'd say don't bother.

They're really cool toys though. Most of them don't have silly gimmicks that compromise the designs..just simple and fun transformations..and personally I really like having different styles of TF on my shelves.

I disagree with SharkyMcShark..although these problems ARE there, they are not so bad to me personally. Leader Megatron has a simple transformation, but you DO get a kickass looking bot and alt mode.

Some personal recommendations:

Leader Megatron
    Voyager Optimus Prime
    Voyager Shockwave/Longarm
    Deluxe (Samurai) Prowl

I like most of them though, but I think these are the best.
    But DO try to research them before you buy something you might not like. Watch some video reviews (peaugh's ones please! His reviews are calm, clear and detailed)..oh and finally..if you like Soundwave, I'd say you're pretty safe, since I think he is one of the weaker bots in the toyline (like his altmode but his robot mode is small and blocky). :) 

19. scourge88

scourge88 Well-Known Member

YES

20. Paxtin

Paxtin Why am I here?

My Blackarachnia, Wasp and Swoop hold together just fine. Same for my Ratchet and Lockdown.
    Just sounds to me like you may have had a spot of bad luck there pal.

I'll agree with you on one thing, Leader Meg's transformation is kind of laughable for a leader class. That said, he's still kind of a neat fig if you're a fan of the character.