Is an accurate Masterpiece Jazz impossible?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Henriquedematos, Jul 5, 2016.

1. Henriquedematos

Henriquedematos Transformers make me want to be dead

News Credits:
    I'm not sure if there's already a thread about this, but I might as well ask it either way. Is it even possible for Takara Tomy to develop an accurate version of Jazz / Meister for the Masterpiece line? Obviously, I'm not doubting that would be possible in the engineering department, every single "Deluxe-sized" Masterpiece that was made until now is a 10/10 toy in almost everyone's book and surely they could pull off a brilliant figure without breaking a sweat, but the foreseeable problem with developing an accurate version of Jazz comes from all the licensing process involved in replicating its vehicle mode.

First, Takara would require a Porsche license to replicate an accurate 935 Turbo, and we all know how asking Porsche for a license turned out back in Alternators. As far as I love their cars, there's just no way to deny that they're absolute wankers when it comes to trademarking, discarding Transformers as not worthy of their badge for being war machines and ignoring how the character in question is at the very least an ethical war machine is simply unfair. Still, Volkswagen also refused giving a license to Transformers during Alternators and we ended up getting a VW-badged Bumblebee in the Masterpiece line, so perhaps there is a way around that?

So, assume Takara can, in fact, attain a Porsche license. Now how the hell would they deal with the Martini racing livery that Jazz had? Once again, they already had numerous problems with replicating a tobacco racing livery in a toy, and going for an alcoholic beverage sounds like asking for the same sort of trouble. They could try to improvise in the same way they did for Exhaust and develop a paintjob with the classic "sort of looks like the real thing but isn't really the real thing" trick, but Martini stripes can't be improvised on that easily. They are a specific trademarked set of light blue, dark blue and red lines, and it would be genuinely surprising if Takara could get away with painting something so specific on a toy if even a mere "V" like the Marlboro one didn't go unnoticed.

So, could they work around these issues? Jazz is one of my favorite Transformers ever not just because of how cool of a character he is but also because of his awesome 935 vehicle mode, and it would kinda suck if they ended up not replicating him because of that :( 

2. byk500

byk500 Well-Known Member

I recommend this be a sticky labeled the Masterpiece Jazz conundrum. We could essentially put the best and most articulate response up instead of having to constantly search for it in the masterpiece thread.

3. Henriquedematos

News Credits:
    Whoa, there's that much of a discussion about MP Jazz around here? :eek: 

4. 2003 Megatron

2003 Megatron Banned

News Credits:
    I would say so. But when?

5. WheelWave140

WheelWave140 Hate's not cool, dudes!

News Credits:
    They're probably gonna do what they did for all the other racing vehicles. Fake sponsorships. Martini would probably be replaced by Meister, although they might be able to get away with the label of martini, considering that they're a racing label instead of merely being a sponsorship, if that makes any sense. They don't share their name with the company that sponsors them.

6. Starganderfish

Starganderfish Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Takara now being merged with Tomy has given them excellent contacts with the automotive industry (I think Tomy have been making model cars for years?) and they were able to get the licence for Bumblebee. It would just come down to what Porsche want for it and whether Takara can afford that.
    And don't forget if they're sticking with the Real Car line, they need a Porsche mode for Cliffjumper as well so the cost could be double what we think.
    I doubt Porsche care whether Jazz was ethical or not. They care about the publicity of having their brand associated with Transformers toys.
    If Takara/Hasbro were smart, they'd negotiate with Porsche to get a modern car in one of those Michael Bay "sponsored commercials"... I mean Transformers movies. If they can develop a relationship through those horrible, yet hugely popular films, MP could then follow.

As for Martini, we've seen with Ratchet's shoulder stickers and Shockwave's faction logo's that it may be possible to work around that? For example you include blue and red stripes as separate stickers and collectors can apply as they see fit? And for the "Martini Racing" name, just include a couple of sheets of misc letters and people can spell it out themselves?

More importantly though, Martini is no longer an issue, thanks to the Toon-centric direction. Jazz's deco in the toons wasn't even remotely accurate to the Martini brand!

Attached Files:

• Jazz.PNG
      Jazz.PNG
      File size:
      186.9 KB
      Views:
  7. SunSwipe5

SunSwipe5 Twin Hellion Masters Of Jet Judo

Jazz comes up quite a bit in the MP thread (as well as the 3P threads). I'd say with how often the MP Jazz questions come up, it warrants having his own discussion thread. :D 

For the record, when it comes to his doors, I'm TeamDoorWing. What? I like how they look on him. ; )

8. Datsun87

Datsun87 Doomed shuttle casualty

Licensing issue aside, I'm actually more curious as how MP Jazz would ditch the doors and spoiler for bot mode. For the longest time Jazz's figures have followed the same basic layout used for the Datsuns which wouldn't work for the MP line. We've seen some very creative engineering for Ironhide amd Inferno but those were also much larger figures.

9. WheelWave140

WheelWave140 Hate's not cool, dudes!

News Credits:
    They'll probably let the doors slide under the roof and optionally fold out for both options.

10. Lovecraft

Lovecraft Banned

Hollow chest and spoilers rotate into hollow thighs.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Henriquedematos

News Credits:
    Yeah, that was my first thought about it too. IMHO, it would be the better option to have is as an optional choice, hiding the doors for cartoon accuracy could be good but I think most of us have become used to imagining him with "wing-like" folded out doors.

Now that would be surprising :lol 

• Like Like x 2
  12. HemanPrime

HemanPrime Well-Known Member

喜んで発表する。フォルクスワーゲン/ポルシェは、ポルシェ935ターボ用のタカラトミー免許を与えました。将来の発表予定。

13. HemanPrime

フォルクスワーゲンが2012年にポルシェを購入して以来、ポルシェがフォルクスワーゲンのために確定されているすべての法的権利の絶対的な完了まで、935ライセンスは取得できませんでした。

14. HemanPrime

2012年以前のポルシェとフォルクスワーゲンのイベントは、935ターボのライセンスを取得することを不可能にしました。

15. Mormolyce

Mormolyce Throbbing Member

I'd hope for more of a "MP Wheeljack" approach to toon/toy/vehicle accuracy, personally. Downbeat leaves me feeling a bit underwhelmed deco-wise.

16. NemesisJazz

NemesisJazz Well-Known Member

Instagram:
    I believe it will happen since VW gave its blessing for a bumblebee MP. Id love for it to happen, i'm a bit of a meister fan!

• Like Like x 2
  17. jeffafa

jeffafa Unknown Member

Don't want to start a 3rp party argument but I just got Downbeat and if Takara can't get licensing done I'll be happy with him. He is just short of perfect and immediately jumped to the top of my list of favorite MP scale carbots.
    If Porsche folds and Tamara gets to make Jazz I'll go official in a heartbeat.

18. The Smirker

The Smirker I Hate Sam Darnold

I'm thinking of making my own 3d printed jazz, and I've already figured out the stpes, it's pretty easy to transform him tbh.

19. HemanPrime

• Like Like x 2
  20. Lazerwave

Lazerwave My Most Prized Treasure

News Credits:
    あなたは、タカラがポルシェのライセンスを持っていることを確認していますか、それともちょうど皮肉ですか?

What's the deal with people and Porsche anyway?

Once I heard a story that a teenage had a dream of owning a Porsche. Until he got one for only $50. Because the seller was getting back at her ex-husband.

Another story, when some guy won the lottery, he was going to use to money to buy a Porsche. Until he found out the ticket was fake.

Then the Transformers movie. Sam's dad pranked him thinking he thought he was going to get him a Porsche for his first car.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2017
    • Like Like x 2