Is Age of Apocalypse worth getting?

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by Predaking, Aug 10, 2006.

1. Predaking

Predaking Well-Known Member

I am thinking about getting the 3 volume paperback version of this series and it's gonna cost me $25-30 per volumen. Is it worth that price?

2. Primal84

Primal84 Well-Known Member

It's definitely worth it. Awesome fun storyline. The highlight books were Astonishing X-men by a young Joe Madureira :rock  & Generation Next by Chris Bachalo.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

3. .SentinelPrime Is Dead.

.SentinelPrime Is Dead. Banned

I thought it was a great read. It is one of my all time favorite reads from the early to mid 90s. (I know that doesnt say a lot.)

4. Predakwon

Predakwon ...Green Lantern's light!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
  5. Gort

Gort Klaatu barada nikto TFW2005 Supporter

I loved it when it first came out - I've always been a sucker for What If/Elseworlds stories, but I've been putting off buying the trades. I want to buy them, but I don't want to spend the money. I'm sure I'll pick them up eventually and if you've never read the story, then you should certainly buy them.

6. SubotaiBaghatur

SubotaiBaghatur Borys of Ebe

I enjoyed them when they came out, and bought the first two trades when they were released. I found that I was unable to read them though, Gambit is all over the series and pretty much ruins any story he appears in, I have no idea what the appeal of this character was. His "cajun speak" is annoying as hell, and he only exists in the storyline to antagonize magneto in the most one-dimensional way possible. I was so annoyed by this that I never did buy the later volumes.

7. Darkhawk79

Darkhawk79 TFWM SUCK!!!!!

News Credits:
    It's well worth the 30 to buy the trades. I would have to say it's one of, if not the best storyline in x-men. It's a very interesting twist on what it would be like without Xavier but the only thing i didn't like is that it ended so soon.

8. Shipwreck

Shipwreck Will smack your bitch

When I revisited it recently it was a hard read to get through

9. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    Abso-frickin'-lutely. The AoA was one of the best X-Men stories ever written. I own most of it in the original issues (just missing Weapon X 2-4 and X-Universe 1 & 2), and I've gone back through it several times. It's an absolute classic and well worth reading through.

It's such a shame that Marvel had to go back and slap a badly written, badly drawn (seriously, when did Chris Bachalo forget how to draw?) new ending on it. Especially when the original ending was so strong (albeit nihilistic).

10. payres

payres Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It's good stuff. Volume 4 to complete the series is due soon.

11. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

It was good at the time. It really doesn't hold up well today though. You can completely skip Generation Next and Gambit and the Externals. Those were the worst of the lot.

Factor X and Amazing X-Men (I think...whichever one Kubert did the art work for) were the best of the crop.

12. butz

butz slippery when wet

They put a new ending on it? What the fuck for? What did they change? Probably too many fanboys whined about how Gambit killed Collossus with one card, and they took that as a cue to overhaul it.

13. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

X-Tinction Agenda and Fatal Attractions were the best X-Men events of the 90s IMO, but AOA comes in third by default because the others were all shite.

14. Primevil

Primevil *Insert Witty Title Here*

Ebay:
    I think they're worth it, but then again, I haven't bought any of them at full price. I've been using Borders gift cards and Rewards coupons. :D  But I probably would have bought them at full price if I had more money, but I don't.

As the only one I read in its entirety, Astonishing has been my long-standing favorite series in the AoA. Beautiful artwork (love Joe Mad's art in those issues), a great team lineup (Rogue, Sabretooth, Wild Child, Morph, Sunfire, and Blink FTW!), and a nice solid story.

Factor-X is second, being the only other series I read the majority of before the TPBs, mainly because of Havok.

And I'll echo the sentiment that the recent sequel miniseries was terrible all around. Especially Quicksilver and Gambit's deaths. About the only thing I can admit was good about it was Rogue's costume, but now I think it's cheap that Bachalo is using it in his current X-Men run (along with Sabretooth wearing Logan's clothes from the mini).

The real sad thing is that I bought all six issues, even when I noticed the craptacularness in issue 2, because I don't believe in dropping a book in the middle of a story, especially if it has a finite run.

15. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

X-Tinction Agenda is still my favorite X-Over storyline. Of course, they screwed with it and Cameron Hodge with that horrid "Phalanx Covenent" crapfest.

16. TrickyDisco

TrickyDisco <b><font color=blue>Voted TFW2005's Sexiest Female

News Credits:
    Oh but definitely!

17. payres

payres Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yes - there's an entire sequel mini series that takes off from the end - the bombs just stop forming and everyone assumed Magneto saved them.

HERE at Amazon.

I didn't mind the sequel.

For my money Age of Apocalypse is the best of the 90s X overs, followed by Operation Zero Tollerance. I started reading X-Men at 176 and feel Magneto works better as a reformed hero than a villain so I automatically take against any LS that puts him as the opponent. X-Tinction Agenda is OK - the Uncanny issues are good (part of Jim Lee's run), but one of the (Liefield) NM issues is appalingly coloured, another is done by a fill in artist and the X-Factor issues look awful.

18. wheeljack01

wheeljack01 Happiness is a warm gun

Got to say x-tinction agenda artwise was crap besides the Jim Lee issues. I was a fan of Joe Mad astonishing issues myself and I thought it was the best book of the series. Still doubt I would buy the trades though...

19. TheIncredibleHulk

TheIncredibleHulk Find Gary Busey!

I still have most of the original issues. I was thinking about selling them.

20. Fairlady_Z

Fairlady_Z Official Voice of Flareup

AOA is definately worth it. You might also want to get the Legion Quest trade too since that tells how and why the AOA timeline got created.