Is Afrin really addictive?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Shipwreck, Nov 21, 2008.

1. Shipwreck

Shipwreck Will smack your bitch

It seems as for as long as I could remember I've only been able to smell out of one side of my nose. Yesterday a friend of mine introduced me to the orgasmic nostril bj known as Afrin. Its amazing, I don't think I've ever smelled this well ever in my entire life. The question: Is this stuff addictive? The friend that gave it to me warned that you can form a dependency on it and could possibly have to get weened off of it. Has anyone had an experiences with this or know of any other form of allergy medication that works better or isn't as dependent forming?

2. ShortCircuit

ShortCircuit Decepticon

I hate pills. asprin, tylenon, ibuprofen. I never take them. I try to remedy myself by time and just trying to be chill. I'll never understand some addictions sometimes, but hey, if you like it......I wont knock it till I try it.

3. Paladine

Paladine Well-Known Member

Yes, it is highly addictive.

I used to use it a lot when I had a cold, and I wanted to sleep with some clear nostrils. After a few days of use your body will need it, and you'll be sniffly even after you're over the cold.

My suggestion, take it once or twice at most so that your body won't become dependent.

4. Socialvegetable

Socialvegetable Wrecker

News Credits:
    Personally, I've never heard of a nasal decongestant being addictive, but I'm no doctor.

Well, before sending, I figured I'd check the all-knowing wikipedia:

"Afrin is a brand of nasal spray used to ease nasal congestion that is available over-the-counter in the United States. The generic name for this medication is Oxymetazoline hydrochloride. While useful in the short-term, 12 hour relief, for sinus congestion, prolonged use (in excess of three days) may result in rebound congestion (rhinitis medicamentosa). This can cause a dependency on the product; recovery may take some time."

So it would appear that it could be, but I think you'd have to have some poor will power or really, really like a clean nasal passage.

5. FreshDebesh

FreshDebesh <b><font color=brickred>oye chak de phatte!</font> Veteran

That about sums up my opinion.

6. Malikon

Malikon Well-Known Member

Considering meth heads use it to make crystal meth? Yes I'd say there's something in it that's not all that great for you on a daily basis.

7. Seawing

Seawing Lurker of the depths Moderator

News Credits:
    No it is not addictive but it is extremely habit forming. I used to use it and Neo-Synephrine alot as a kid, before people knew of "rebound congestion". After about 2-3 years of daily use it eventually got to the point that I was using these nasal sprays 3-4 times a day in order to have open nasal passageways. I eventually went cold turkey after I started getting too many nose bleeds. For about a month my nasal passageways felt like they were closed up; probably a combination of swelling and being used to having clear nasal airways.

Here's a good article on how nasal sprays work.

Hope this helps.

8. Deceptikitty

Deceptikitty all about the hasubandos

As long as you're not pulling tricks to score more Afrin, you should be fine!

9. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Used it before when I had the flu. I think I reversed my nasal passage from sniffing too much. Now my snot drains upwards.
    I remember granpa use to always use that Dristan stuff.

yeah, didnt like it, will stick with Robutussin and Claritin

10. Lance Halberd

Lance Halberd oh hai

News Credits:
    I, for one, am glad you are smelling better than you ever have.

11. Baccala1976

Baccala1976 Well-Known Member

As a former Afrin addict I can confirm that Afrin if not addictive is EXTREAMLY habbit forming. Up until 8 years ago, I had to use Afrin every day and especially at night to live. It starts out when you have a cold and you use it to clear your nasal passages but before you know it, well after your cold has gone away, you're still using it to breathe. I was using Afrin for a good 10 years straight!

I would find myself buying about 1 bottle of Afrin about every 2 months or so, and like a drug I was hiding it from people. Didn't want anyone to know I was doing it.

I was finally able to wein myself off of it and now I still have problems breathing at night from it. It does cause damage to your nasal passageways that I believe will never fully heal.

My advice to anyone is never use the product and try and cope with it for the few days you have that head cold. There are also of plenty of other non-medicinal ways of treating this.

12. Drake

Drake Smooth Is Smooth Baby

I heards on the interwebs that it's laced with heroin and crack.

13. monkeydluffy

monkeydluffy Agent of Hydra

Afrin killed my father and raped my mother!

but seriously it seems like its not a good idea. vicks vapour rub is where its at

14. Prowl_Delta_31

Prowl_Delta_31 Eating your donuts

News Credits:
    Oxymetazoline Hydrochloride and Pseudoephedrine are two ingrediants found in Afrin. These two things are also used for Meth production. This also contains Sodium Phosphate Dibasic which is another ingredient added to Meth that this product contains.

It takes a lot more Afrin to get the amount of product you need for Meth than say Sudafed or other pill type nasal decongestant but it still works the same.

15. Prowl_Delta_31

News Credits:
    I have heard that heavy users of Vick's tested positive for Amphetamines on drug test's.

16. Boy who screams

Boy who screams Banned

To be fair, having a blocked nostril on a hot night, in an upstairs room whilst worrying about an assignment the next day is nigh unbearable.

For Shipwreck, I'd be wary of an addiction, especially seeing as how you've gotten such a high from it in your first use...

17. Optimus-JD

Optimus-JD Team Laser Explosion!

If you thought using the Afrin was great, you should try a nasal rinse. I had to stop using Afrin years ago because it started having the opposite affect on me. I started the nasal rinsing and while nasty at first, it's been amazing. Nasal rinsing it just saltwater, so nothing habit forming but wow it will clear you out.

18. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

I still blow my nose in the shower . Works, for a minute. Then I eat pie

19. Lance Halberd

Lance Halberd oh hai

News Credits:
    Shower pie? I love shower pie!!

20. Prowl_Delta_31

News Credits:
    I read these last two posts and think of Revenge of the Nerds.........but yeah I love pie too.