Is a trilogy prequel the only logical next step?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Bottom Out, Jul 7, 2011.

1. Bottom Out

Bottom Out Well-Known Member

I think it is.

Continuing the story where the 3rd left off seems pointless when you think about. The writers will have to come up with a whole new plot device to bring back all the dead transformers which for the most part has a huge potential for being lame. How many times are we going to resurrect these guys?

A prequel will take us to the war on cybertron (something everyone's been wanting to see). It will also give us back our favorite transformers (jazz, ironhide, soundwave, starscream, megatron, etc).

Not only will a prequel bring our beloved transformers back from the dead, but it will allow for cybertronian modes which equals new toys (to make hasbro happy).

A prequel will also allow for a way to properly tie in the events of all three TF movies we already received - filling in some plot holes along the way.

I think this is really the most logical direction for the franchise to go. Similar to the effect of starwars where lucas waited for advancements in technology before he filmed the first three movies, now that TF's has proven they make bank, the studio can dedicate more money to the franchise so we can have more cgi elements (like cybertron scenes).

2. Nightmare966

Nightmare966 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The Star Wars way! Wait, didn't SW say they sucked a lot...?

in all seriosuness, doubt it. God knows how much would that cost.

3. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Just Reboot the damn thing already.

Besides IDW's Foundation is a prequel and didn't need excessive CGI.

4. Crainy

Crainy Well-Known Member

When making an all CGI movie, you have to also considere this: It wont be as hard to make the CGI. Why? At first, the Level of CGI can be a little less good, nobody will notice because they dont have a reference like real life in the picture. Also, it is much easier because you dont have to make the Transformers fit into the real world. Instead, all the lightning and so on can be made with a computer.

I think, a prequel should what comes next.

5. Bottom Out

foundation sucked, but the starwars movies were not that bad. die hard fans hated them just like how die hard fans hated these movies. the masses like them though.

and it might be expensive, but it doesnt matter. the studio will make their money back in spades

6. biscuits

biscuits Sin from Genesis

That would cost a LOT, but they probably do have enough funds for it.

^^also above post, i'm a diehard fan and loved the TF trilogy. Quite a lot of us did.

7. Overlord Balder

Overlord Balder Voices Slugslinger!

I would love something set on Earth BEFORE Optimus and his pals arrived.

They could make a movie about Archibald Witwicky and the dangers of his travel along the Artic Circle [of course, TRANSFORMERS dangers], with the the Seekers [A.K.A Jetfire and his pals] serving as main heroes and villains, some of them wanting to wake Megatron and bring forth the doom of mankind, some others [like Jetfire] wanting to stop the others.

The Sequel could evolve about the creation of Sector 7.

8. deltaprime

deltaprime The Christian Transfan

They pretty much did do that, but in comic form.

9. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Don't eat me

News Credits:
    Sorry, I will never understand why anybody thinks that a prequel is the only/a good way to go. First off, do we really want a toyline that's just cybertronian modes? Apart from Shockwave, the cybertron mode movie toys are pretty much agreed to be wastes of plastic. Second, the reason we got so little Transformer screentime is the budget. Are you guys asking for a 40 minute film made of the same technical caliber/style? Thirdly, the aesthetic/monochromatic scheme of cybertronian modes is one of the most common criticisms of the films, and now people, haters included, are asking for a full length feature based on that? And that's not even touching on the implications of the storyline, I mean, it would primarily serve as an opportunity to fill in plot holes and little else (okay, maybe I'm exaggerating this bit, but there's still some merit to this assertion)

This fandom makes no sense.

10. Overlord Balder

Overlord Balder Voices Slugslinger!

Then just adapt! [or retcon].
    JetFIRAAAAH needs his own trilogy. Dude was badass.

11. nathan25

nathan25 New Member

i think i prequel will be good, they can chuck all that bulls**t human element away and give us what we wanted all along BOTS VS BOTS!!! and no f*****g product placement

12. EmFalcon73

EmFalcon73 Active Member

Apart from the fact that a largely (or wholly) CGI prequel set on Cybertron would be prohibitively expensive - a CGI film is going to come across to the movie-going public as a cartoon, and North American audiences do not generally accept 'cartoons' geared for adult audiences. Going this route would finally and definitively crash the franchise - financially.

A Cybertron-centric, largely digitial prequel would be an incredibly difficult sell to the masses and would almost certiainly never find a wide (non-Transformer) audience. It is largely unnecessary anyway - casual viewers rarely need to be told the backstory to a property in anything more than broad strokes - if the backstory was really so good, it would have been the 'front story,' as it were.

The SW prequels suffer from this as well. There is a weighty aura over those films of putting in time and waiting for the 'good' story to finally start.

13. protonpackin

protonpackin Well-Known Member

the only way theyd do it is straight to dvd

14. JazzSanti86

JazzSanti86 Rockin Out! Latino Style!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The franchise will either be rebooted or they'll continue the story, prequals wil not happen.

15. VaderPrime1

VaderPrime1 Prepare for termination!

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    No. A prequel isn't even logical, let alone being the only one.

16. Ephland

Ephland Let's Go Rangers

News Credits:
    I don't see how a prequel or a reboot makes more sense than just continuing the series.

17. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

I really don't get this idea that any of the dead characters need to be resurrected for a sequel to work.

Megatron, Soundwave, and Starscream can easily be replaced with Galvatron, Scourge, and Cyclonus.

Ironhide is easily replaced with the name of any Autobot that immediately comes to mind.

Fact is, beyond Optimus Prime and Bumblebee, every single character is replaceable. And I sometimes thing that Prime and BB are replaceable themselves.

18. Edgcracker

Edgcracker Well-Known Member

Agreed. There are plenty of options open for sequels based off of previous stories alone. Don't forget about heading off into an original concept *gasp* or even an homage to the old animated movie.
    The one thing I don't get is when people say this:
    Does a sequel have to resurrect the same characters? I don't think so. There are literally hundreds of established Transformers characters that we have not seen in the movies. Why not bring in some of them? We have all of the G1 seekers save Starscream, the Predacons (G1 and Beast Wars), most of the Combaticons and Stunticons, Insecticons, Scourge, Cyclonus, Galvetron (who does not have to be Megatron in any way), and more. Surely the writers can find a way to work some of these guys in rather than resurrecting the old crew.
    Hell, new Autobots can be pulled in. Everybody has been clamoring for the Dinobots since the first movie (my vote is make their robot modes be dinosaurs). Ultra Magnus, Rodimus, Kup, and Blur get a lot of requests. At least 2/3 of the original G1 cast went unused. Bring 'em in. Kill off and replace guys. Bay didn't kill the twins off officially either. I say bring them back as older bots showing more maturity and skill.
    The way I see it, the first trilogy was primarily about Megatron, and to a lesser extent Optimus. The first movie was about finding and reactivating Megatron. The second movie was about Megatron making big bold moves for power - he freaking killed Optimus! The third movie was about Megatron's ultimate plan coming to fruition and his realization that it was utterly flawed; it was his redemption piece.
    The next movie/trilogy should be about something and somebody else. Given the vast wealth of ideas and characters, it should not be that complicated.

19. Bottom Out

I think my OP described why pretty nicely.

that's your opinion. I personally think the cybertronian modes are the best ones. do we really need a fourth semi truck optimus prime, though?

No, I'd like a 2 hour or more film with the same level of cgi we have received. When a movie makes a billion dollars in box office alone (not counting toys, dvds, blue rays, video games, etc) you can afford to spend a couple extra hundred million on cgi - not to mention that based on what someone else stated in this thread it might actually be cheaper to do

who's to say that they have to be this way in a movie? all of the prequel comics show the tranformers in perfect color

filing in plot holes is just gravy. the prequels give the writers an excuse to use characters that have been killed as well as an opportunity to expand the mythology of the movie verse.

they do if you read

20. Bottom Out

someone hasnt seen avatar or the money/success that it has made