Is a Dino Riders trex worth it?

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by Lazerwave, Aug 7, 2011.

1. Lazerwave

Lazerwave My Most Prized Treasure

News Credits:
    This goes to anyone here who has Dino Rider toys or use to have them.

I have a Rulons Triceratops, I've got Rulons Deinonychus and Pteranodon coming.

But now there is the big trophy left, the Tyrannosaurus.

From what I've picked up from bidding for it multiple time, the Trex goes for like a maximum bid of like $200. Everytime I bid for it I always lose. But this time I confident this is when I will lay my hands on one.

However there are 2 problems.

1) the trex that are on ebay now are like $250 to $350 including shipping.

However my friends did tell me Dino Riders are a good investment. Is that true?

2) My mom doesn't want me to get it, after I told her it was like been on my want list for 20 years.

But wasn't she the one who said "You whatever"?

I'm having a hard time deciding if I should get it or not, as I mentioned it's like a 20 years search, 20 years of pretending you own them, 20 years of guessing that I got Dino Riders in my Birthday or Christmas presents, 20 years then I turn 13 and find out those toys are discontinued and expensive on ebay.

Is it really worth getting a Tyrannosaurus Rex Dino Rider, since I have already 3 of them?

2. ersico

ersico Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    is that 250-350 loose,
    i have the trex without the armor...pieces got lost over the years, i still love mine. monetarily speaking i dont know of the true value, just that i love dinosaurs and dinoriders so they are worth alot to me. :) 

3. Lazerwave

News Credits:
    To answer your question, yes 250-350 loose, although the 350 one includes more figures.

4. ersico

ersico Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    wow. if you decide you want the trex, without armor maybe we can work somethign out... i do'nt sell on ebay and i would have to check on the rex to see his shape, with pics ...

5. Lazerwave

News Credits:
    Sorry, I want it with armor.

6. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    any toy is not a good investment. but as things are going now its may as well as be good any any lol. except for gold. Although I suspect sooner or later thats gonna take a nose dive in value.

7. Lazerwave

News Credits:
    I don't get it.

Does that mean get the trex or not?

8. skiss

skiss Crash and Burn

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You should get the T-Rex if you want it enough. If you don't feel its worth the price then I would hold out.

9. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah, if you think its worth it, buy the figure.

I had it as a child and I LOVED THAT TOY lol! It walks and comes with all these crazy looking green/blue aliens.

I'd love to buy one MISB or MIB, but not now.:thumbs2: 

EDIT: If its something you really want, you won't have buyers remorse. I spent a lot of money on vintage Japanese Transformers and I never thought twice about them. Unfortunately, my car was stolen and I had to sell them... but that is another story lol.

10. Lazerwave

News Credits:
    Let me answer that by telling you a few reasons that I've been hoping for them for 20 years.

- I had the tape with the first episode with 3 Dino Rider toy commercials, so I keep watching the show and toy commercials over and over again.

- Everyday after preschool, I come home and play with my dinosaur toys as if they were Dino Rider toys, I keep role playing the first episode over and over again (because I watched the first episode and it took 15 years until I could watch the rest of the series).

- I've been begging my mom and dad for Dino Rider toys when I was little, but never got them.

- I believed in the whole fantasy of holding your breath and making a wish through a tunnel, so I keep wishing for Dino Rider Toys.

- Every Birthday, when I see big presents I think it's Dino Rider toys (because when I watch the commercials I thought they were all in a set, like Diplotacus with Deinonychus and Pteranodon in a set, Tyrannosaurus and Torosaurus in a set and Triceratops, Staracasaurus and Quetzalcoatlus in a set)

- One year, 6 months before Christmas when I was 8 years old, I tried asking Santa for the entire collection. But when it was Christmas, I forgot about it and got a Power Rangers zord instead.

- Age 11, I started making them out of clay, but always fell apart.

- When I turned 13, That's when I realized Dino Riders were Discontinued.

- After gradutation, I started watching youtube with the remaining Dino Rider episodes.

- When I turned 19, my mom opened up an ebay account and helped me get the Triceratops Rulons Dino Rider toy (for starters, Triceratops is my favorite Dinosaur).

- I open up and ebay account, I try to get Trex, Deinonychus and Pteranodon several times and failed.

- Last week, I finally got Deinonychus and Pteranodon on ebay.

Is that enough information to say if I should or shouldn't get it?

11. ersico

ersico Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    just get it...
    :) 

12. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ^^^^

Second:2c: 

13. T16skyhopp

T16skyhopp Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I would wait for a slightly lower priced one.

14. NCStarscream

NCStarscream Me Grimlock cute

News Credits:
    Get it. I've had the majority of the Dino-Riders since my childhood and the rex was and still is my favorite (although T. rex was already my favorite dinosaur, so I'm biased in that way). From what you've said it sounds like you'll get a lot of enjoyment out of it and appreciate it.

15. Lazerwave

News Credits:
    Enjoyment and Appreciation about what?

16. NCStarscream

NCStarscream Me Grimlock cute

News Credits:
    I get the impression - based on what you said about liking the line for so long and enjoying dinosaurs and obviously being a collector of toys in general - that it would be money well spent for you; not something that you'd put in a corner and ignore after dropping so much money on it. If you like Dino-Riders you'll love the rex, as it's pretty much the pinnacle of the line in my opinion. And since you seem to have had your eye on it for a while I see no reason why you shouldn't get it unless finances are tight.

17. netkid

netkid Where's my Goddamn shoe!

News Credits:
  18. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    If you want it get it, but do not expect a big return on your investment. toys you collect should be bought for enjoyment not for resale value.

19. Lazerwave

News Credits:
  20. Lazerwave

News Credits:
    Son of a "censored"

The one that was $350, probably the better one because it was complete, perfect condition and 2 extra figures, has been sold!

F(censored)

My only hope now is the $250 one, although it's just a regular one with no extras, but it has 2 broken guns at the back.

Should I get that?

I could glue the glues with hot glue gun.