Is $70 on Hasbro MP Grimlock worth it if you have the Takara version

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Predaking, Oct 5, 2010.

1. Predaking

Predaking Well-Known Member

I am on the fence on whether to spend another $70 on MP Grimlock when I have spent $140 on Takara version already. I love Grimlock and it comes with the crown which the Takara lacks, but it's still a lot of money and I am not sure if I should get another one. Thoughts?

2. barrelks

barrelks Captain Funtastic

News Credits:
    I have the Takara one and bought two of the Hasbro one. I think it is great to have one displayed in both modes since both mode is really clean and great looking. Hell, keeping the Hasbro one MISB even looks great as a display piece. Figure that if you don't like it, you can always hauk it in the future for atleast what you paid for it. Is it a necesity (sp?), no, does it make for a sick display, hell yea.

3. Predaking

Since the Takara version comes with a beautiful box I'd like to keep that MISB and open the Hasbro one. You make some good points I may end up spending $70 even if it is a lot of money. :) 

4. Veloxiraptor

Veloxiraptor MoƩ than Meets the Eye

News Credits:
    If you've got the Takara version? I could not imagine another one being worth it.

5. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Nah, save your money for MP Rodimus Prime. Your gonna want to buy both versions of him since Hasbro's won't have a trailer:2c: 

6. Predaking

You make a great point... cuz I do want 2 MP Rodimuses. :p 

7. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

It is totally worth it! I'm holding off on Rodimus for now. Id like to see how others like him first.

8. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    I sent the extra money for Hasbro Grimmy to keep it MISB. I've had the Takara version since it was released. BUT Grimlock is my fav character so I may be a little biased. ;)  You may want to save the money for Rodimus since the differences between the two Grimlocks are pretty negligable. If you want a crown, get the upgrade set Igear (I think?) released for it.

9. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    I don't think so. I'm passing on the Hasbro Grims, and putting that cash towards the upcoming Generations/RTS toys, or possibly Takara's United versions. I also have Predaking, Protector, MP Rodimus all on preorder as well.

Not since Animated have I had such a glut of upcoming new molds on deck.

10. Victorysabre

Victorysabre Born to Transform

News Credits:
    I loved my Takara MP Grimmy when it came out but reluctantly sold it hoping/betting on a Hasbro release. Love the toy, but getting him half off the Takara price made me love him more. Still, I wouldn't see the need for two when their decos are so identical

11. barrelks

News Credits:
    Yea, that is a good point. There is one hell of a lot of good stuff coming out. I had to hold off on my Predaking pre-order for now since I don't want to really budget for it at this point (hope that isn't a mistake). The new Generations/RTS toys on deck shouldn't hurt too much, but the United versions are gonna be painful as well.

I will amend my earlier thoughts and say that it all depends on how your upcoming budget for Transformers looks. I like having two Grimmys, but with all the good stuff that Fosterlager listed that is coming out soon to budget for, it all depends how much spare cash you have to spend on Transformers.

12. Predaking

I don't really have a budget, but I was just thinking about buying MP Rodimus when I saw Thrust (which I bought) and MP Grimmy on the shelf today, and knowing that I'll be getting Dirge and possibly few more of the deluxes before the end of the year, I am already going way over my estimated spending for the year. I really want a MP Grimmy to play around with so I may still plunk down $70 to get the 2nd one, but it'll have to depend whether I want 2 MP Rodimus or not.

13. barrelks

News Credits:
    Yea, with all the possible modes that Rodimus is going to have, I hate to say how many of the US release I am gonna budget for. I just hope it is a Target or Walmart exclusive so that maybe it will be $60 instead of $70. I figure with what has been announced from Reveal the Shield, I have about $200 tied up in upcoming releases for that line, which isn't terrible considering that it will probably run right up until the next movie line. What hurt me yesterday was looking online and seeing that MP-04 (which I have put off buying for about two years) is starting to sell out at most major online retailers. I need to budget for that too.

Grimmy was just too good to pass up for me though. Love the mold, and it is definately a great one to have open if you are planning on keeping the Takara one MISB. I couldn't do that with the Takara MPs since there is no panel to see inside the box. I am just not that kind of collector.

14. Tigermegatron

Tigermegatron Banned

I'd say a second MP Grimlock is definately worth it.

15. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Also, bear in mind I haven't been tempted by MP Grimlock in person yet. And I just had a beefy POL hit the porch last week:

2010 Unicron
    Crossfire Munitioner/Explorer
    Device Label Broadcast
    Animated Wingblade Optimus Prime
    BBTS Piranacon

So the monkey on my back is in sugar shock and I can resist the impulse buy here and there. We live in times of plenty! :) 

16. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    They're mostly the same, so it comes down to wanting a second/third/fourth or not. I got a spare that's staying in that nifty sloped box, as I'm hoping to get it signed by Gregg Berger sooner or later.

17. Jetstorm

Jetstorm Wielder of the Keyblade

I'd say no, but it's only because I'm a stickler for cartoon-accuracy, as I don't read the comics. Sooo an accessory that was only seen in the comics (the crown) is not something I want as opposed to something that was seen in the show (the brain-drain helmet, the apron and serving tray and dishes)

18. perithimus

perithimus Well-Known Member

What's the point of keeping a takara mp misb?? You could open the figure and enjoy it. Displaying just the box makes no difference really. Just curious about the logic behind it.

19. Jason Blue Boost

Jason Blue Boost Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I have a Takara Grimlock and passed on the Hasbro one. They look too much alike. Take the money and put it towards a MP-08X, you will not be disappointed.

20. Optimus Vader

Optimus Vader Banned

Only if you collect doubles. I know people make a big deal about the Takara/Hasbro minor differences, but to me there's just "MP Grimlock." They're the same damn toy. Unless you want one to keep MISB I'd say you're good with the one you have.