Is 5FOD really TFTM2?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Cutthroat, Feb 28, 2007.

1. Cutthroat

Cutthroat More cowbell, dammit!

On the latest release of TFTM, Flint Dille says that a lot of the ideas that wouldn't fit in TFTM ended up in Five Faces of Darkness. That said, I remember hearing the following rumour many years ago and was wondering if anyone else remembers it as well.

Basically, the story I heard was this: while TFTM was in the final stages of production, plans were already being drawn up for a sequel. A plot was developed and a story written. When TFTM didn't perform to expectations at the box office, the idea of a sequel was quickly shelved. But rather than waste the script that had been (or was being) written, the powers that be hacked it into five pieces and turned it into the first five episodes of Season 3.

Does that ring a bell with anyone?

2. Boo

Boo Addicted to candy canes.

Ebay:
    FFOD is definitely a sequel, but I don't really recall hearing that rumour. Could be, though.

3. Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    No, that can't be right. The time frame is totally wrong - that would mean that the movie (released in August) was deemed a failure, the sequel's script re-written and five whole episodes recorded and animated in... one month, since FFoD premiered in September of that year.

Also, it's been documented in a few actor interviews that FFoD had already begun recording before the recording for the movie itself began.

4. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    Based on the quality of the animation in FFoD, I think it was animated in less than a month.

5. AutobotSDG

AutobotSDG Well-Known Member

I heard that it was "The Return of Optimus Prime" that was supposed to be the sequel.

Kind of makes more sense to me.

6. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Quoted and corrected for apparent truth.

7. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    It does fit with the feeling left after the movie...

Also Draven, you couldn't be more right.

8. Crobot91

Crobot91 Daddy has lots of TFs...

News Credits:
    That would also make more sense to me. On a personal level, I always felt that More than Meets the Eye, Ultimate Doom, and Five Faces of Darkness would have worked well as full length movie features (not for the theatres - but more for today's direct-to-dvd era) - especially Ultimate Doom.

9. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    It is. in fact, the VHS release of it flat out says so on the back of the box. "in this action packed sequel to transformers the movie!" or something like that.

10. Cutthroat

Cutthroat More cowbell, dammit!

Yeah, I always thought that FFOD had the same kind of feel and "epic" quality as TFTM (animation notwithstanding). The only minor nitpick I have is that the fifth and final episode seemed a little anticlimactic when compared to the Movie. But you have to keep things in perspective - how do you top a planet that eats other planets? A galaxy that eats other galaxies?

11. maximus prime3

maximus prime3 Banned

i think all of season three is a sequal to tf:tm

12. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    I was actually refering to "The return of Optimus Prime".

Also, in my opinion, the entire movie was anticlimactic.

13. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    :lolol 

14. Ruination04

Ruination04 8 Years Old Since 1984!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I have always considered 5FOD a sequel.....Kinda like a made-for-TV movie of the week....

15. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    ACtually FFOD was quite well written IMO of course but the animation killed it for me. It did have an epic feel especially when we saw the fate of the Decepticons in the first few episodes.

If I remembered correctly, most of the season 3 writers had no clue what was supposed to have happened in the movie, that's why we had Rodimus reverting back to Hot Rod, Scourge being powered by the Matrix...didn't "flow" with the key concepts of the movie such as "chosen one".

16. Runamuck

Runamuck Swindle Knows Best

News Credits:
    Wow, never knew there was supposed to be a sequel.

Now that I think about it, The Return of Optimus Prime and The Burden Hardest to Bear seemed like it could have been a sequel.

17. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    The way I heard the rumor, was that there was gonna be no season 3 on TV. FFoD was supposed to be the first feature length, straight to video movie. Followed by others. The movie tanked, so they just split it up into individual eps and aired them on TV instead. The idea was canned and the individual episodes came back.

18. A/OrionPax/3

A/OrionPax/3 Welcome to Funkutron

I'm for The Return of Optimus Prime as the movie sequel. It definately had that movie kind of feel to it. How many other episodes had the Transformers and planet earth and the whole universe on the brink of destruction? Usually someone has to win. It definately had that chosen one kind of feel to it and was it the only episode in season three to use the movie song "the touch?" Thats a big, cheesey link to the movie right there. (I loath that song)

19. Black Widow

Black Widow Banned

I think Return of Optimus Prime had that. It wasn't as well written but it did seem like a sequel in some ways. And it had Stan Bush!

It's possible both FFoD and ROP were planned as sequels, or one sequel, should the first be successful. They both had elements of "Movieness" to them.

RoOP wasn't great, but I kind of liked the ending. If only they'd have left it like that! Rebirth for the US, and killing off Prime AGAIN for Japan.

20. Shipley

Shipley No Topic Required

News Credits:
    Animation (even bad animation) at the time took far too long for season 3 to be anything BUT what Season 3 was. the backlash over Prime's death was felt just in time for them to cram him into the final 2 episodes. Its clear in Dark Awakening that Prime was never supposed to come back otherwise they wouldn't have TURNED HIM BAD and then DETONATED THE BODY.

TROOP was a cop out. That episode is the result of trying to fix a mistake made in the movie, but little else in season 3 could've changed since most of the episodes were likely near completion or too far along for any story or whatever to be adapted. FFOD is as it was, which is 5 episodes after the movie.