Is $30 too high for Roadbuster/Dirge universe set?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Mewtwo, Apr 19, 2012.

1. Mewtwo

Mewtwo Transform & Bamboo out

Is $30 too high a price for Roadbuster/Dirge or Springer/Ratbat universe two pack sets? There is a store in my area and there is a bunch of them and they are on clearance but only off by $5...

What I wanted to know is do you guys think this is an ok price for these sets? It seemed a bit much to me... I would have picked them up for $15 each.. but at $30 each I am hesitant.

2. Dinobots Rule

Dinobots Rule Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    ive seen those sets go for 50.00 + each on ebay so i think 30.00 is decent.

3. Galvanitro

Galvanitro Vanguardian

News Credits:
    ...if you like the figures, that is an extraordinarily good price. You're getting a large voyager, decent deluxe and a comic book for $30. If I saw them around here, I'd get them in a second.

4. Soundwinder

Soundwinder I wind sounds!

$30 was their original retail. It's a great price, since really, all the molds are pretty solid. I got the Ratbat/Springer 2-pack, and it's quite awesome. I kind of wish I had gotten the Dirge one as well.

Where is this, anyway?

They're definitely worth more than that on the aftermarket.

5. Omnius

Omnius Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    For a Voyager+Deluxe two pack, that's still a good price when you consider the RRP of comparable individual toys.

6. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Hammer of the Gunplas

$30 is the average MSRP of the two figures in either set (1 voyager, $20, and 1 deluxe, $10), and they're pretty good repaints as it is since they're some of the best Cybertron molds that matched up well to the characters. They're also the closest thing we have to true classics updates for the characters save Dirge, for obvious reasons.

One thing to keep in mind is that these probably have the same problem as when they were at Target; the comics each set is supposed to have is actually in the WRONG box. So, the Target: 2006 comic (Dirge/Roadbuster) is with the War Within set (Springer/Ratbat) and vice versa.

7. Mewtwo

Yeah I just did a search and they are all $50+ on ebay. Hmmm...

I'm just wondering if it's worth spending $60 for both sets...

Well Roadbuster to me looks nice. Dirge looks ok too. Not as fond about Springer/Ratbat. So maybe I'll just get one set. But then that whole comic messed up thing...

I didn't realise these were voyagers... for some reason I was thinking Deluxes... but you are right. They are larger... Hmmm...

Well apparently the original price here was $35. So now they are like $30... not much of a mark down... But still.

RRP? But yeah I didn't even consider it was a Voyager... for some reason I was thinking two deluxes...

Yeah I was concerned about the comic issue if I only got one... but if I get both sets I should be ok right? Would end up getting both comics? Or is one comic in both and you can't get the second one?

8. FanimusMaximus

FanimusMaximus Kuphead

News Credits:
    Heck I'd pay 30 bucks for that. So I say yes.

9. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    All four are great molds. Recommended, especially at that price.

10. ScottyP

ScottyP Got The Touch

News Credits:
    Even just Dirge is worth $30 imo. DO IT! :) 

11. Dormamu

Dormamu I am Broot.

News Credits:
    $30 definitely is reasonable for both sets. Good figures out of both as well.

12. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    oooh..always did mean to track down that Dirge

so nice

13. Mewtwo

Thanks guys. Almost everyone in this thread seems to think these are good prices for these sets. So I think I'll go for it. :thumbs2: 

That is if there are still any left when I head back that way. Since I don't think it will be today or tomorrow... but I don't think that is too much an issue. There was a bunch and they didn't seem like they were moving much at all.

14. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Hammer of the Gunplas

Yes, it is.

The comics are easily aquired through other means (Target:2006 is a reprint of the old UK series, and the War Within is one of the more popular stories Dreamwave ever did), so those should not be the deciding factors. What you should be more concerned about is the figures themselves. While I don't own either set, I have had access to them and they are fantastic. Plus, if you don't have Warbot Defender, that Springer repaint of Evac is the cheapest stand-in for Classics Springer (because the other one, which is Cyb. Def. Hot Shot like the Roadbuster in the other comic set, is a Botcon figure and so significantly more valuable and expensive).

If you get both sets, that's a saving of $10, which is enough for a small TF figure. Additionally, these were exclusives and those tend to be slightly more expensive than normal figures.

You should be okay if you get both sets (which you should), I don't remember ever hearing about a set that didn't have the other set's comic in it. But even in the case you get two sets with the same comic, getting the matching comic shouldn't be too hard since both are reprints and pretty common IIRC.

Plus, these are actually pretty OLD as far as exclusives go, as these things were around during the Christmas of 2008! It's rare to find treasures like that, especially old Target exclusives, so take advantage of the discovery and add some great figures to your collection. You can always sell them off if in the end you don't want them.

15. jinx23

jinx23 Wrecker

Ebay:
    Where are you and the 2 packs? I want a road buster and dirge. Thanks

16. xanthax

xanthax choppaface

News Credits:
    That's a great price! Dirge is excellent and Roadbuster is a neat repaint. I think I got mine for $40 a few years ago second hand. I'd snag them if I were you.

17. Optimist_Prime

Optimist_Prime The Original Optimist!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    WTF!?! Hell yes $30 each is a good price! What store has them? These are like 4 yo Target exclusives.

EDIT: Ah I see you're in Canada... Well I definitely won't be finding those around here now.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2012
  18. prime roller

prime roller introspective reflector

News Credits:
    Oh, in Canada. Something I find my fellow Canadians always seem to neglect when looking at the price of something is the tax. These become a bit, to quite a bit, more in reality.

When Canadians on this board say that a deluxe costs them $15, they should really say $15.75 - $17.32 depending on where in Canada they live.

So your $31.50 - $34.65 is a good price in my opinion. I have both sets and still like all four toys (but no comic was included in Canada, check to see if it's in there if that's important to you). You could probably sell them off individually and get your money back or a bit more if you don't like the toys (but you'll be selling them without taxes included, so you'll lose that, which again, I find a lot of Canadians not in the habit of considering).

19. Soundwinder

Soundwinder I wind sounds!

How much is a Voyager? Because it's a set of a Deluxe and a Voyager.

20. Mewtwo

Thanks. I'm still on the fence but I think if I have the money on hand I'm just going to get them next time I head up that way. Thanks for all the info and input. :) 

Well like I said Roadbuster looked cool to me. Dirge looked neat too. Wasn't too fond of Springer or Ratbat. But who knows, maybe when I have em in hand and transforming them they will grow on me. :) 

Believe me I don't forget to factor in tax. Been paying it all my life. And for me it isn't 7%, more like 14.5%... yes... :banghead:  :( 

And Arrghhh No comic? damn.... :( 

Voyagers are usually around $29 here.