Is 20th anniversary Prime still available at retail?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by NGW, Jun 23, 2007.

1. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    I REALLY doubt he is, but eh can't hurt to check eh?

I really want to pick up what I can from the Masterpiece line. I'm gonna wait on Starscream until the G1 deco hits stateside (that's a few months from now right?). Megs...I've been iffy on, but the more I see of him the more I want him. Prime, I figure he's actually out stateside so that'd save me a bit on importing costs.

Actually do have a few questions though other than the aforementioned, can I still find him at retail (how much did he run anyways, 60?)

Is there much of a difference between him and MP01 (i.e. accesories, die cast, anything really)?

How much was/is he?

If not available at retail, where would I be able to pick him up for..roughly the same cost if not only slightly higher?

What all on him is diecast anyways?

Yeah, little short on cash and I'm trying to save up what I can for some figures I want (alt ravage, G1 MP SS, MP Megs, etc.) so..yeah.

Any help is appreciated.

2. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

I have not seen him at retail for months.

3. Sludge

Sludge Well-Known Member

News Credits:
  4. transmetropolitan

transmetropolitan nonjon TFW2005 Supporter

A couple of the Wal-Marts around here still have him in the sale aisle for $45. The aisle can be tricky to find beacause it has a little bit of everything in it. I'd give one of them a look.

5. Prowl_Delta_31

Prowl_Delta_31 Eating your donuts

News Credits:
    My Wal-Mart had him clearenced for $45 when I got mine but they have since then pulled like the 15 they had left off the shelves.

6. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    Thanks for the info guys.

Hope I can maybe find him at Wal-Mart, amidst the massive amounts of movie figures and what not. $45 sounds like a steal for him.

7. CdnShockwave

CdnShockwave The Prince of Poses TFW2005 Supporter

My TRU has a TON of the DVD edition Primes. Not sure if that's a version of MP Prime you want. Although loose they're essentially the same.

8. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    I'm not being picky on him, really. What is the diff between the two?

9. trump

trump WWBD?

There's some color differences, and the gun of DVD Prime is blue plastic.

I found mine clearanced for 30 at a Wal-Mart.

10. Felmatron

Felmatron Shock and Awe

Target had him clearanced for $17 a while back, but I haven't seen him recently. Toys R Us has him for 89.99, and that's the only retail store where I've seen him recently.

11. CdnShockwave

CdnShockwave The Prince of Poses TFW2005 Supporter

This "clearance" phenomenon you speak of intrigues me. What is "clearance"? :banghead: 

12. Nerdling

Nerdling Jiminy Jilikers!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Basically, 20th Anniversary DVD Prime is more orange than red, his stacks are shaved (big surprise) and feels really cheap. The plastic and overall quality of the toy is not up to par with the original 20th Optimus Prime release, much less MP-01/04. Save your cash and get one of those later.

13. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    The original 20th Prime release was almost identical to the Japanese release except he had battle damage paint, a black gun, and shortened stacks. This version was in stores 3 years ago and will NOT be found in clearance sections today. His original retail was like $65, but he had been bringing down nearly $100 this time last year. Not sure what the 20th DVD Prime did to his price. The DVD version is the most radical one to date. They went for a more cartoon color on him. The red and blue are a much brighter, more cartoony color. His stripe is white instead of silver, he has more yellow paint aps than he should ( even for cartoon accuracy ), and his gun is blue. This is the version that went on sale last fall and is likely to be found at TRU or in clearance sections of other stores. He was the same price as the other US release. I happened to get him for only $20 on clearance. That was the only way I was gonna buy him in these colors.

14. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    Ah...yeah I think I may just pass on him and go about finding the other version.

15. Jedi2016

Jedi2016 Well-Known Member

I got the DVD version off Amazon just a couple months ago.

The colors are fine, not sure what everybody's complaining about there. Red and blue, it's definitely not "orange", and the blue is still dark blue.

I wasn't after the best "version", though. I just wanted a version, any version, of MP Prime, and this one works fine. The only nitpick I have is the smokestacks, but those can be replaced.

16. Rewind

Rewind Swoosh!

News Credits:
    I just saw a couple of them at a TRU like 3 or 4 weeks ago. Personally I think the colors look terrible, but it's better than not getting ANY version of the MP mold.

17. pscoop

pscoop Dead inside

News Credits:
    I still laugh at the fact that MP Starcream is hated for not having cartoon accurate colors. And 20th Anv DVD Prime is hated for having cartoon accurate colors. Proof you cannot please everyone.

I haven't seen and Aniversary Primes at retail in a long while. I would have thought it would have sprung up again. I wonder if after the movie release when things quite down if we will see more G1 stuff popping up again for a while.

18. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    Ya stores here in Toronto are clogged with these damn things.

19. Codimus Prime

Codimus Prime Missouri Toy Hunter

Seen him at a few WM's on clearance for $50... they seem stuck there. Maybe they will get down to $25 soon!

20. Star Sabre James

Star Sabre James The JUICE

I saw one at my local TRU yesterday. I never saw it at the local Wal Mart. My local Wal Mart sucks royally. I will be getting my Classics Devastator in spite of you.