Is 2010 the worst year for movies ever?

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Tenebrouser, Jul 30, 2010.

1. Spoiler

Spoiler Autobot Spoiler

News Credits:
    Overall, here is the best observation... July is just ending..., we still have 5 months left of the year, and a few potential good movies yet to be released. It is a lil early to call it the worst year.

2. DrGrim

DrGrim OBEY

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    I'll stick up for Hot Tub Time Machine.

3. Janitor

Janitor Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This is just one man's opinion, plain and simple. While I myself have also been finding this year's summer movies quite lackluster, it's still way to early to crown 2010 "Worst Movie Year Ever."

For starters, he's based his opinion mostly on this summer's movie offerings. SUMMER. Not exactly the time when studios crank out their highest quality films. Perhaps this this article should be retitled "Worst Summer Movies in Recent Memory" or "I"m Not Enjoying Any of the Movies these Past Months! Waa waa waa!" But of course not many people would read it. Next to Top 10 lists, writing an article asking "Is this [current thing ie. Year in Movies/Music/TV, Sports Team, etc] the best/worst ever?!" is a lazy but surefire way of stirring up controversy, and getting people to pay attention and eventually expressing their own opinions on the subject. I remember reading a Sports Illustrated cover story saying 1998 was the Best Year in Sport History. This was written in (yup!) 1998.

Complaining about sequels? How...original. What about 2007, the summer of endless three-quels? That gave us:
    Spider-Man 3
    Shrek the Third
    Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End
    Rush Hour 3
    Ocean's 13
    The Bourne Ultimatum
    Other pointless sequels and/or turds from that year:
    National Treasure: Book of Secrets
    Alvin and the Chipmunks
    Wild Hogs
    Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer
    Norbit
    Ghost Rider
    Evan Almighty
    Rob Zombie's Halloween
    Fred Claus
    Saw IV
    I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry
    Are We Done Yet?
    License to Wed
    Balls of Fury
    Good Luck Chuck
    Epic Movie

Here's another idea: wait til the end of the year before deciding. Or better yet, Oscar time. [I know the Oscars aren't always the greatest determinant of "best" movies, but that's for another discussion]. Which is why, despite all that junk I listed above, 2007 was a great movie year. The best pic noms were:
    No Country for Old Men (BP winner, and IMHO the best film of the past 10 years)
    Juno
    Michael Clayton
    Atonement
    There Will Be Blood

So instead of looking at crap movies up to July, wait til the end of the year and compare the BEST movies.

:2c: 

4. lars573

lars573 Well-Known Member

No Country for old men is one of the worst movies I've ever failed to sit through. Same for Juno. Both are incredibly awful movies. There will be blood is a big time snooze fest.

5. MythofBlackout

MythofBlackout In Existential Crisis Mode

News Credits:
    This 100% sums up how I feel about this article and this summer movie season.

It inaccurately characterizes the interest in a Tron sequel as "well, if there's nothing else worth seeing..." which completely misses the point that Tron was a cult favorite. A lot of people who grew up with the movie have been anticipating/hoping for a sequel for a long time so the interest is nothing surprising and nothing indicative, on its own, of a lack of quality elsewhere in Hollywood. If this was a fantastic summer movie season or a fantastic year for movies overall (note that I'm not in any way trying to imply that it is) there would still be a lot of interest in the Tron sequel.

6. Ironhide2005

Ironhide2005 PS3tag=DeaDPooLTFW

News Credits:
    Juno wasn't bad and No Country wasn't 100% awful just very dull and draggy(and way to overrated)

7. SwindlesShop

SwindlesShop Kenny Power's drug dealer

News Credits:
    Jurassic Park 2 is horrid, it shit on Crichton's novel.

8. Chopperface

Chopperface Chadwick Forever

News Credits:
    Iron Man II, How to Train Your Dragon, Toy Story 3, and Inception were all pretty damn good. 2010 is a bit lacking, but wait until year's end to judge if it's the worst year ever.

9. megatronkicksas

megatronkicksas Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This man speaks the truth.

10. lars573

lars573 Well-Known Member

I couldn't stand Juno. After 10 minutes I shut that shit off.

11. sideswipe89

sideswipe89 Beachcomber

News Credits:
    I really like the Lost World too. I'm not saying it was a stellar movie but its actually my favorite of the serries.The only plothole I had a prob with was how all the people were killed on the boat with the Trex. It seems like everyone else hates it though...which is alrite, everyone has their own opinions. I don't like when other people criticize others tastes tho. There is no universal "taste". One intelligent person can love a movie while another equally intelligent person can hate it. Its all just a matter of opinion. For me, I'm not much of a critic. I'll enjoy most movies, but I can appreciate when theres a really exceptional movie that is praised by mostly everyone. Theres also some movies that I wont watch because I'm not into them, like Bruno or Twilight. But I'm not gonna say they're terrible movies..they're just for people that like different things...

On the movies for 2010, there weren't many that I was excited to see, but I ended up enjoying a few that I didn't expect like Book of Eli, Shutter Island and Brooklyn's Finest. The only ones that got me excited were Iron man 2 and Predators. I was satisfied with Iron man 2 but i can't say I liked Predators. Now the only movies that I look forward to seeing are Inception and Harry potter. Maybe Expendebles...

Last year, I felt there were more entertaining movies or atleast ones that I wanted to see. I thought Wolverine,ROTF, and G.I joe were ok, entertaining atleast. I actually enjoyed terminator salvation,Fast and Furious and Harry Potter. And I absolutely loved Star Trek, Moon, District 9, Gran Torino and Avatar.

Anyway just my 2cents. Sorry for it being a long 2cents, I was bored lol.

12. Keroshino

Keroshino Beasties: Transformers Fan

News Credits:
    only movie on this list that i have seen...
    and i enjoyed them. nuff said
    (i need to pick up "Liar Liar" on DVD one day)

13. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

hmm.... it could be much worse;

Scream 4
    Spy Kids 4: Armageddon
    Underworld 4
    5nal Destination 3D
    Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides
    Transformers 3
    X-Men: First Class
    The Hangover 2
    Kung Fu Panda: The Kaboom of Doom
    Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part II
    Winnie the Pooh
    The Smurfs 3D
    Underworld 4
    Puss in Boots
    The Green Hornet
    The Cabin in the Woods
    Diary of a Wimpy Kid 2: Rodrick Rules
    Footloose
    The Three Musketeers 3-D
    Captain America: The First Avenger
    The Greatest Muppet Movie Ever Made
    Mission: Impossible IV
    Alvin and the Chipmunks 3-D
    The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn
    Happy Feet 2 in 3-D
    Cars 2: World Grand Prix
    Rise of the Apes

at least it's better then 2011, the year of sequels, remakes, and "live action" adaptions :lol 

14. Crazymadman

Crazymadman Dewbot leader

lolwut

15. Triggerhappy

Triggerhappy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    For me -

The Very Good
    Kick-Ass
    Shutter Island
    Toy Story 3
    Inception

Everything else has been good too, with the only bad movie I've seen at the cinema being Alice in Wonderland

I'm really looking forward to Tron Legacy, Machete, Expendables, and many more!

16. Predaking

Predaking Well-Known Member

The number of good movies may be fewer and farther between than recent years, but 2010 is not the worst year for movie ever.

17. Spoiler

Spoiler Autobot Spoiler

News Credits:
    Ah, and so it continues to begin, someone already knows TF3 is gonna be horrible because of a handful of pictures...

18. MrSoundwaveGuy

MrSoundwaveGuy I've made a huge mistake

News Credits:
    Or he's seen the other films and assumes that TF3 will most likely be more of the same. But let's not bring this in the Movie and TV forum

THIS. Obviously this guy's got terrible taste in movies if he's hating on Toy Story 3 :) 

19. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

Except for the fact that he's willfully ignoring films that were quite financially successful for the year.

Movie Box Office Results for the Past 365 Days

But I guess Alice in Wonderland, Shrek Forever After, Eclipse, and Karate Kid don't count because the vast majority here don't like them. So the truth is actually that this year has really been no different from any other year other than the fact that there has been no Avatar or ROTF grossing film so far.

20. Sage o' G-fruit

Sage o' G-fruit Critics gonna critique

News Credits:
    Wasn't his point that it was another sequel?

Wasn't his point that it was better than other 1st movies from other trilogies?