is $165 a good price for the macross vf-0s?

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by ckhtiger, Jun 2, 2006.

1. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

because I am just ITCHING to get him. I'm also afraid that if I wait too much longer, I'll have to deal with it eventually being sold out, and I don't have any macross stuff other than 2 jetfires and the yf 19 and 22. there's a few on ebay for $165 shipped, and I was wondering if this figure is really worth it. I'm gonna make the jump this weekend if enough people convince me...

2. CdnShockwave

CdnShockwave The Prince of Poses TFW2005 Supporter

$165 shipped sounds like a pretty good price. It's neither high nor low... exceptionally average I'd say. I've heard pretty good things about this guy, especially since it has more decals that are pre-painted onto the toy instead of extensive sticker sheets that the VF-1 1/48 scale line has.

**edit:

Although, personally, I'm holding out for the upcoming VF-0A. The VF-0S, in my opinion, is just a different looking VF-1S Roy. So if I had to choose between the VF-0S and the VF-1S (1/48 scale) I'd choose the 1/48 VF-1S. The VF-0A, rumour has it, will be a grey/silver paint (rumour/every Macross fan's dream), so it will be a little different than the same ol' paints Yamato has been cranking out lately. Also, any quality control issues with the VF-0S will probably fixed in the VF-0A.

Hope that's not too confusing. So, I'll sum up. In my personal opinion, this is what I'd do:
    -if you like the VF-0 style figures, hold out for the VF-0A
    -if you really want a jet like this, go for the VF-1S in the 1/48 scale.

3. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

uh oh, now we've got some questions:

what were the qc issues with the vf-0s?
    would the vf-0a be a totally different design? I was thinking about getting both of the 0's.

I've been wanting some kind of roy for sure, and I thought that the 0s would be it.

4. jaylay

jaylay Well-Known Member

pics please ...

5. CdnShockwave

I'm just at work now, I'll get you the QC issues and pix when I get home. (not supposed to be online :p  )

6. CdnShockwave

Alright, just checking at the VF-0S thread over at Macross World. Apparently there's an issue with a pin that holds the two legs on. It has a tendency of falling out, causing the legs to fall off. There has also been a case of the paint smudging. Floppy limb and foot issues have also been reported. That's just glancing back a few pages. You can check out more here: http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=16006

So, I'm a little unsure about ordering a VF-0S. But, the 1/48 VF-1S is a sure thing, no problems at all. I've got two and have never had a problem with them. So, I can highly recommend that one. However, stay away from the VF-1 line that's in the 1/60 scale, they're poorly designed. The 1/48 scale is the way to go.

For pix and a full review of the toy, check out this link: http://www.macrossworld.com/macross/toys/vf-0s_review/vf-0s_review.htm

7. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I agree with CdnShockwave's suggestion...choose the 1/48 VF-1S over this VF-0S! This VF-OS indeed has some QC issues and besides, its just alternative VF-1s.

8. pinoy78

pinoy78 Shoji Kawamori having FUN

I guess I'm lucky to get one of the almost perfect VF-0S' out there. I don't wanna sound like MOST of the product run from Yamato is full of QC issues, mind you that these are just a fraction of problems.

I guess if you can find it from $160 to $170 that'll be the average "internet" price.

9. CdnShockwave

Yeah, there are perfect VF-0S out there and any QC issues are by no means as bad as the Toynami MP collection. But I was actually kinda surprised when looking at MW just what some of the issues were and the frequency with which they occur.

My main beef with the VF-0S is that it's just another Roy, which, again, is why I'm holding out for the VF-0A. But also, I'm just not all that impressed with the VF-0S. It looks like a great figure but for some reason it just doesn't do it for me. There's just this quality about it that doesn't float my boat.

I hope I'm not sounding like total tightwad...

10. pinoy78

pinoy78 Shoji Kawamori having FUN

[​IMG]

11. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

was there a second run of the 0S that had qc issues fixed? that pic right there makes it REAL hard for me to choose now, since I don't have any valkyrie. I like the slightly rounded look of the zero, but it's not as pronounced as I thought. I was going to have it shipped to my mom's house to open at a much later date, since my girlfriend would absolutely FLIP if I got this, but with there being quality issues, I'd want to open it asap in case I needed to ship it back. however, that would make me not want to get it from an asian dealer, since return shipping would cost a bundle.

12. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

13. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

this is kinda funny, since I remember when pics came out everyone was ga-ga over it. now it sounds like ya'll are saying it's not as good as the 1/48!?! why else?

14. CdnShockwave

I'm all of it like a fat kid on a smartie!

15. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Here's my review of the VF-0S from awhile ago, along with my directions for fixing the major design flaws that prevent the toy from being absolutely perfect:

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/showthread.php?t=98818&highlight=vf-0s

Since then, I also applied a dab of superglue to the tabs on the legs that attach them to the backpack. It takes just a little work, and then the thing is rock solid.

16. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    With regards to the 2nd run...I'm sorry but I can't help you as my local import stores also don't know. But I can vouch that some of the VF-0S had no QC problems at all!

17. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    A lot of the problems with the toy also have nothing to do with QC, and everything to do with joint tolerances. In most cases, it's just a few floppy joints away from being perfect.