Ironhide's Red Coloring

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by PrimesRule, Jun 17, 2012.

1. PrimesRule

PrimesRule Banned

News Credits:
    If Bay had made his Ironhide red in TFTM, ROTF and DOTM, do you believe Ironhide would've resemble a monstrous red tomato? XD

2. Stryker055

Stryker055 Josh Boyfriend

[​IMG]

No.

3. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

No there are several shades of red that can be found on vehicles so unless they went with one of the really bright shades of red I don't think he'd have the tomato look. I think red would have helped the details stand out better since red and silver works better than black and silver.

Red armor works for Iron Man so I could see Ironhide pulling off the color.

4. LightningBlade3

LightningBlade3 Destined to be a Prime

News Credits:
    No in my opinion that actually looks pretty cool and I enjoyed playing as g1 skinned ironhide in ROTF.

5. TylerMirage

TylerMirage I vawnt my berdt.

News Credits:
    If by "monstrous red tomato" you mean "a red coloured Bayformers Ironhide", then yes, I do believe that's what he'd resemble.

The red does look cool on him, but so does the black (or really dark blue, whatever).

6. Overlord Balder

Overlord Balder Voices Slugslinger!

Well, supposedly, he was black back in TF2007 because red wouldn't film well with the whole CGI thing [technology improved since then, and so he was able to make Mirage/Dino], and he didn't change that in ROTF because...the character was already set on as black. Changing his colour would confuse audiences and yada yada yada [Why Ratchet changed colours? Why, because no one except me gives a damn to Ratchet].

I think black fits a little better with Ironhide's jerkass, tough-as-nails war-veteran personality, but I wouldn't have a problem with a red Ironhide.

7. seekerblackout

seekerblackout Banned

I think the red looks cool, but I prefer the black. It's a tough color.

8. TylerMirage

TylerMirage I vawnt my berdt.

News Credits:
    Just for clarification, the "red problem" wasn't linked with CGI, it's because red doesn't show well on film. I asked my high school film teacher about this issue back in 2007 and he elaborated, explaining that on traditional film stock (aka, not digital cinematography and what Transformers was filmed with/using), red had a tendency to "bleed" on the traditional film used. Or at least, too much red did. Hence why Optimus has slightly less red than tradition (like, 12% less red than your average Optimus :lol  ), and why there's red flames on blue and blue flames on red - just to help break up those solid red blocks which could be problematic. Imagine now if Ironhide had a lot of red on him. And if Ratchet also had red with white. Or if they chose to have Cliffjumper, a red Sideswipe, a red and white Jetfire, etc.. That's more red that could potentially cause problems, problems that they'd like to avoid. With DotM filming digitally, that problem was obviously rendered moot as evident by Dino, Leadfoot and Sentinel Prime, along with Optimus.

And obviously there's examples like Iron Man as well, and I'm not sure how to answer that. Without getting too detailed about how many frames one red suit vs. potentially 3-4 red robots would be, I'm not sure why one is a more or less acceptable risk than the other. It's up in the air. :eek: 

I know you're a fan of the UT, rxl, but I'm not sure if you're serious. As much as Energon Ironhide's personality was different, I felt that his design was adequately Ironhide-y. Rough-and-tumble alt mode and weapons on top seemed like a good fit, visually.

9. Optimus1138

Optimus1138 Minecraft Addict

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    [​IMG]

10. Barricade24

Barricade24 The Decepticop

News Credits:
    This.

11. MPrime10

MPrime10 Boomsticks.

I would have liked him in his G1 colors.

I would have liked almost all of them in G1 colors.

And I don't even consider my self a GEEWUNNER. Ironhide is a minor case. I would have loved Ratchet in his white and red.

12. einis

einis Want some candy?

News Credits:
    Agreed

13. Jakest123

Jakest123 Well-Known Member

But then in DOTM the black guy wouldn't have died first! (In terms of Autobots).

14. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    A nice rusty red would've suited his 'Ironhide' name well. A bright red would've probably looked wrong on him. I would've even been happy if his alt mode was black but when he transformed red parts were revealed, kinda like his black Diaclone figure or G2 Sideswipe.

STA: Diaclone: Diakron "Black" Ironhide

Sideswip (1993) - Autobot Warrior - www.tfu.info

I would've liked this kind of thing to happen more on BayFormers TF. Just because maybe a real-world jet is a boring grey doesn't mean the robot mode can't have a little colour appear when transformed.
    I would've liked some WFC-style coloured strips to light up in robot mode if they can't be painted a different colour. They could've even activated those lights in vehicle mode when in battle to show they mean business. Imagine Starscream flying into battle in jet mode and then he activates his lights, perhaps as some kind of energy shield if you want a story reason. Would've looked cool. Also could've meant some toy variations with clear coloured parts and light-piping for the body. Okay, I know some people aren't fond of lots of clear plastic on their figures, especially for joints (I'm one of those people), but just for bodywork highlights it might've been fun. Or glow in the dark paints. BayFormers Starscream with glow-in-the-dark Cybertronian tattoos. Or glow-in-the-dark faction logos that only show when they glow.

Glow-in-the-dark with Dark of the Moon! They only show when they glow!

Would've been something fun for Night Attack versions of the toys. 'Energon-powered' faction logos, eyes and paint details.

15. Chaos Prime

Chaos Prime Combaticon

That looks so much better than the black. So many details are just popping out now! With the black so much was lost on him, now I can all sorts of detail.

16. Sideways77

Sideways77 oh shoogah

News Credits:
    Same for the Decepticons. Hatchet was killed first, and he was black.

Didn't help he had dreads,'though.

17. seekerblackout

seekerblackout Banned

But the base color suffers.

Nuh-uh.

Driller tentacle #1579 died first.

18. jru42287

jru42287 With great power...

News Credits:
    If PrimesRule makes another pointless thread, will you reply to it?

19. nobleboivin

nobleboivin Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Red is a cool color for him

20. inturnmike

inturnmike Well-Known Member

This..Pplus you can actually see what's what on him if he were these colrs. Too much black, especially during the night scenes made it so hard to tell what I was seeing...