Ironhide's death

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by ironhidedotm, Nov 5, 2011.

1. ironhidedotm

ironhidedotm Active Member

Here is some thing that confuses me with this one scene.

First. Why did Sentinel want to kill Ironhide when clearly he could have killed either bumblebee or the other bots.

Second. Nobody and I mean nobody did any form of effort whatsoever to save Ironhide.

Last and not least. Thay never mention, nor talk about it again whatsoever. A little mourning scene and a speech from Optimus could have helped. Sorry, but no, we had to watch this one scene with Sam and his parents from hell.

2. Minh'T

Minh'T Descendant of Primus

Facebook:
    Well he kill Ironhide because Ironhide is standing right next to him and he want to announce that he's working for the Decepticon and Ironhide could be a big trouble for him from getting the pillar

Yeah i confused about nobody save ironhide too, maybe they just scared

And maybe someone tell Optimus on the way to washington

3. Surge

Surge Village Dolt

News Credits:
    Probably because, had Sentinel not made that bitch move, Ironhide would've got in the way of his plans and beat him to a pulp.

4. Grand-Convoy

Grand-Convoy God Ginrai

He just killed Ironhide without even breaking into an oil(sweat). The other 'bots must have wanted to just be alive to fight him later. Talking about the death of a high-ranking soldier that rivals the commander in strength isn't good for morale. If they thought about it too much they wouldn't want to fight Sentinel Prime.

5. soundwaverulls

soundwaverulls Taking a break

Ironhide is clearly the toughest and the most experienced. While IRL we know that Bumblebee is the most dangerous because he is the main Autobot, Sentinel does not as he is in fiction.

They were shocked I guess. Poor soldiers in my opinion.

Optimus... in the movies... show care for someone... I don't understand. Also, I like the parents. I think there are far worse parts they could have dropped.

6. LacksAFace

LacksAFace Devastator's Balls

He killed him because he is Optimus' second in command, because he is one of the strongest Autobots, because he was standing right next to him, because Sentinel wanted to prove his betrayal and because Ironhide probably could've delayed Sentinel long enough for the other Autobots, plus Optimus, time to arrive and detain him.

7. ThinkTank Customs

ThinkTank Customs TFW2005-Citizen

News Credits:
    And sentinel hates the thetacon-tribe

8. TylerMirage

TylerMirage I vawnt my berdt.

News Credits:
    1.) As many will have/will/will continue to say on this :horse:  topic, Ironhide was the physically closest Autobot target to Sentinel, posed the greatest threat, had his back turned, and is the not-financially successful kid-friendly character of the franchise. Thus, killing Bumblebee means less $$$ for Hasbro. ;) 

But seriously. If Sentinel killed Bumblebee, would people be asking "Why didn't Sentinel kill Ironhide and Sideswipe?". Or if Sentinel shot at Dino and Que, would people be asking "Why didn't Sentinel just shoot Ironhide?"?

2.) Again, this topic has already been discussed A LOT. Perhaps the Autobots were in shock at this sudden and abrupt attack? Perhaps they didn't want to engage an angry former Autobot leader with a rust cannon? Perhaps they were too busy dodging Sentinel's attacks? Ironhide was rusting to pieces, what did you want them to do? Run out and grab some WD40 to try and prevent the rapid rusting? Try to salvage the pile of rust and just stitch his back together with staples and tape? You can't save a lost cause such as that.

3.) Yes, we know. Many people have already brought this up before, and I believe that Balder has written many a rant regarding the sub-text of Optimus' actions in second/third act of the films.

And I actually agree with you on this. Yes, I think even a short scene of Optimus kneeling down to Ironhide's remains and bowing his head in sadness would've helped the scene. Or perhaps Sideswipe saying "For Ironhide!" during the battle. Something. But we didn't. Oh well.

This.

And this.

9. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Because Ironhide was right in front of him...why would Sentinel make the effort to shoot a target other than the one standing right there?

How could they help save Ironhide? Get in the way and get killed by Sentinel? Ironhide got shot three times in the time span of what, 5 seconds? He was already a gonner before anyone could do shit.

10. Shockwave69

Shockwave69 Supreme Leader

even if Setinel had said "Never liked his kind anyway" (as he did in the comic book) it would have been a little bit better....

11. Slipstreamer 8

Slipstreamer 8 Well-Known Member

Agreed

12. NEST SOLDIER

NEST SOLDIER IRONHIDE'S DRIVER

Here's my take on this: First, Ironhide was standing the closest to SP, and if he had been facing Sentinel, Ironhide could have taken him out at his revelation of being a Decepticon.

Secondly, Sentinel realized that Ironhide posed the most serious and immediate threat to his plans. The other bots couldn't have made a dent in Sentinel, and were too stunned by his revelation, as well as his attack on Ironhide.

We see Bumblebee being targeted next, and he barely gets out of the way of the blasts from the cosmic rust cannon.

I, personally feel that it was a bad move for the franchise to kill off Ironhide. He is one of, if not the, oldest survivng Autobots, as well as being one of the most experienced and skilled in combat.

13. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

He kills Ironhide because not only is he close but he could stop Sentinel from getting away with the control pillar he needs to make the whole plan work. Blasting Ironhide also caused the chaos and confusion Sentinel needed to get the pillars and get out.

Bumblebee was as safe as safe gets because Hasbro needs to make 27 more versions of him and the production team wasn't a team that is bold enough to kill off the kid appeal character.

Although if he had killed Bumblebee that could have made for one heck of an emotional story arch for Sam.

I'm not sure if it was the budget or the short production time but yea a scene with Prime dealing with losing Ironhide would have been nice. Not only for a moment to let Prime shine as the good guy, but also to remind the viewer that victory was not cheap so victory didn't feel like a forgone conclusion.

14. Chopperface

Chopperface Holtzmanned

News Credits:
    As said, Ironhide was the closest one to Sentinel. And Sentinel had just seen Ironhide mop the floor with the Dreads, an elite team of Decepticons. It was said once in the Veiled Threat that when Ironhide, Ratchet and Knock Out fought Starscream, if Ironhide wasn't there, the battle would've ended very quickly and badly for the Autobots. Ironhide is the most powerful member of Optimus' team besides Optimus himself, and Sentinel knows it he's the biggest threat after Optimus.

Poor Ironhide was freaking rusting and dissolving to nothing within seconds of Sentinel's fire. There really wasn't anything anyone could do to save him from rusting to nothing in those short moments.

And Sentinel did try to kill Bumblebee too, remember? Optimus and Bumblebee are untouchables being the mascots of Transformers (not to mention Bumblebee has his near-death later on anyway), and Bay no doubt wanted to raise the stakes, without someone as powerful as Ironhide, the Autobots aren't looking that great. It would take three - count them, THREE - Wreckers to come close to filling Ironhide's stead as the heavy duty badass. And just as well, Ironhide was more characterized and shown more than the other Autobots besides Optimus and Bumblebee, and his death would leave a bigger imprint of shock on the general audience.

I too am disgruntled by the ZERO mention of Ironhide's death afterwards. A short scene of Optimus sadly bowing his head after seeing whatever may have remained of Ironhide would've done wonders for me. But they didn't, I'm sad to say. What's also a little more unsettling is the fact that the Twins would've gotten a more emotional death than Ironhide. Not to hate the Twins, but Ironhide was closer to Optimus and the audience.