Heavy/Scratch: Ironhide [WIP]

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by hXcpunk23, Nov 10, 2011.

1. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    Been working on this guy on and off for about 3 years now. I started off doing the usual mis-transformations, but finally came up with a better look and solution recently. It does involve cutting some plastic and cutting through a couple of small pins in the junkular region. I swapped the legs around, flipped the crotch down (vents facing straight down), then cut a chunk of it off. This position helps the chest to stick out more like G1 toon and also looks better than some of the ones we've seen that have left the bumper folded down for bot mode (which I was also doing originally).

I made the head more G1 using styrene (he needed G1 toon 'hawk!) and I added some Gundam fists that I cut up some and glued onto the existing hand hinges and ball joint post. Overall, the new transformation and all gives him better height and bulk. I also ball jointed the head so he can look up (finally) and pose in different directions. This guy is still a WIP, but he's nearing completion.

Before anyone asks, he still transforms like the original, but the head has to rotate 180 degrees before folding into the chest (also had to shave a bit in that area to allow the head slide right in. Planning to do a bit of work to the forearms to help hide the ball jointed hands a bit, but not sure what I'll do just yet. And last, I cut the flap behind his head and hinged it so it can fold down in bot mode. These are still basically "puzzle-formers" in alt mode, but I wanted that bot mode much more G1. Did some painting here and there (silver and a little red to try and see which shade I wanted to go with). Hopefully I'll have some time to get him painted up soon.

Attached Files:

2. C16

C16 Space Nomad

That head looks great, but the whole extending the waist has never looked good on this mold. The mold is just too horribly flawed.

3. thyvipera

thyvipera ThyVipera

that's a huge improvement B! love the head

4. Megatron31

Megatron31 I Belong to Nobody!

Ebay:
    Love the hands that is my biggest gripe of this mold, I just wish I could figure out a way to leave the bumper down but keep the chest detail visible, that way it helps with the thin waste

5. spoonman

spoonman Kitbasher extrordinaire!

This really is a tough mold to work with. The head is awesome and the hands are awesome. If there were a way to extend the length of the arms somehow and add a codpiece they'd be absolutely perfect. But as someone who knows how much of a pain that mold is to tweak, these are pretty much as good as it's gonna get.

6. TCracker

TCracker おもちゃは今とても暑いです

News Credits:
    Looks HEAPS better, Brian! :thumb 

7. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    That head flat out rocks, man. I really like where you're going with this.

8. cheetor71

cheetor71 Autobot

The head looks great. What a huge difference.