Ironhide & Ratchet R.I.P

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Blitzkrieg, Jan 15, 2011.

?

Should Ironhide & Ratchet Have Died In The Movie?

1. Yes

40.0%
  2. No

60.0%
  1. Blitzkrieg

Blitzkrieg Supreme Leader

I was watching the movie (1986) the other night and I was thinking. Ironhide & Ratchet shouldn't have died, they were awesome Autobots. Who agrees with me? :) 

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 16, 2011
  2. Kaje

Kaje Well-Known Member

Ironhide went down fighting, so it's ok. There was never anything cool about G1 Ratchet, so that's ok too. And besides, they needed to make room for characters who looked like their toys.

3. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    Maybe not in the lousy cartoon, but in the comics he was great. And most new Ratchets (Animated, Prime) are pretty great too

4. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    They died too soon and they went down fighting and Ironhide died like a hero fighting the good fight to the last.

5. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Have Ratchet fuse himself and Ironhide together into one body to save their lives and then bring him/them back as RatchetHide, the crusty warrior medic. Which he pretty much is in TF: Prime.

6. Thyme

Thyme Disciple of Yun-Harla

YES ... we all eventually die, so why not in a movie.

7. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    No.

Well keep Ironhide around, he's one of my favs.

8. Blitzkrieg

Blitzkrieg Supreme Leader

He's one of my favorites as well. I think that Ironhide and Kup are very similiar, both grizzled veterans of the Cybertronian Wars. :) 

9. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout SANTARN IS COMING AGAIN TFW2005 Supporter

Half the characters who died in that film shouldn't have died because they were sucky characters. They died because Hasbro wanted to put up new toys in the stores.

That's also why Optimus Prime, who managed to survive various dangerous things, eventually died from a gunshot wound to the hip.

10. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    So many other characters bought the farm unceremoniously, sparing Ratchet and Ironhide wouldn't have made any difference

11. Dran0n

Dran0n Junk male

News Credits:
    Needed room for new TOIZ!

12. DarthCrusher

DarthCrusher Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Even if they had survived, they wouldn't have gotten any significant screentime in Season 3 anyway.

13. D-Unit

D-Unit #1 Heel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'll just say no because I always thought (and still do) there was no need to kill off all those characters just because the toys were discontinued. They could have just killed off Prime and Megs and the 3rd season could have still focused on the new characters. Gi Joe had a 3rd season where the discontinued characters (Duke, Scarlett, Cobra Commander, Zartan, Destro, etc...) made minor appearances, so I always wished (as a kid and now) that they would have went that route.

I guess in the end it doesn't matter what we all think, because they DID die and that's all there is (was?) to it

14. Cyber-Scream

Cyber-Scream Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This. Also, the G1 movie came out in 86 not 87.

15. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    This! They could have just moved the story to cybertron, introducing the new characters and have all characters show up once in a while. Some stories on earth, some on cybertron. Characters from every season could be somewhere. That's what they did before anyway. They never used every character every time. So there was really no need for this.

They could have maybe introduced Rodimus Prime without having Optimus die...

Maybe that way the series would have lasted longer.

But I understand them for a reason: The old toys were from other toylines slammed into the new toyline called Transformers. You could tell even as a kid that the toys seemed to be different by the way they looked. Now Hasbro had their own Transformers and they prefered to put their own ideas under their banner. That is like a band playing cover songs in their first years, but later on they prefer to play their own songs, because they now know how to do it, and they feel better presenting their own ideas instead of borrowed ones.

But maybe they could just have released updated versions of the old main characters along side the new ones to prevent killing off the old cast while still introducing their own engineered toys.

16. SMS55

SMS55 Well-Known Member

Of course they shouldn't have died. They were part of the characters that made the series popular, but Hasbro has to sell toys. They should have kept a core group and added new characters, perhaps redesigned.

17. AMG

AMG Old School

I voted no. I was sad to see them go, especially Ironhide.

18. Inverse Midas

Inverse Midas Jettisoning weight!

I was more affected by Ratchet's death in the movie than I was Prime's. When I was a wee lad of eight years, my dad started buying me the Marvel comics-- issue 5 had just been released. Issues 5-8 helped to cement Ratchet's position as my favorite Autobot; a spot he remains in to this day.

Although doubtful, I've always told myself that the writers had to axe Ratchet so he wouldn't be around to save Prime's life after his fight with Megatron.

It makes me feel better, anyway. :) 

19. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    You guys are thinking about this incorrectly. Remember that G1 was a toy commercial. They wanted to make room for new toys. And the movie was a good place to kill them because they had the ability to actually kill characters. It was a changing of the guard.

Even that though, G1 isn't exactly good fiction. Heck it isn't even decent. It has a fantastic premise but the show itself was pretty bad, from a narrative perspective. For a kid, that doesn't matter.

But when you start picking it apart in the way this thread is it becomes silly. Well to me anyway. The series was so uncaring that asking if two fan favorite characters should have died is like asking if all those animation/coloring mistakes should have happened.

Now if you want to ask if Dinobot should have died, well that series took itself seriously enough to warrant the conversation.

That has been my $0.02. Feel free to disagree. We are all entitled to our opinions.

20. The_Black_Sheep

The_Black_Sheep Willyna...

News Credits:
    Ironhide & Ratchet died in the movie? What f#ck'n movie were you guys watching as kids? :lol  I can vaguely recall watching that movie back in '86 & then proceeding to block it out from my memory ever since then... :lol