Minor/Repaint: Ironhide partswap

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by QmTablit, Mar 12, 2009.

1. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

Got the idea from Peaugh's video (the Ratchet review). Simply swapped the bumper and slide plate from Ratchet to Ironhide. That's all.

The color of the bumper and Ironhide are the exact same red and I have no qualms about giving him a red rear bumper since his front bumper is also red.

I'm sure I could swap more pieces (I'm looking at the elbow and calf specifically) to give the figure a bit more consistency color-wise, but I'm lazy right now. And it ain't as big of a deal as the chest plate.

Anyway, throw me some comments.

Edit: New pictures per requests. And as I mentioned below, I won't be switching the calf pieces after all. The front tires are pinned through into them and I simply don't have a soldering iron or anything to loosen them.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. process

process Hanlon's razor Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    If the red colors match, I plan on doing this to my Henkeis too. I think it's strange that they basically inverted the calf parts- grey for Ironhide and red for Ratchet- which makes it look like their bones are exposed. Since Ironhide's calves are grey, my other criteria to do a switch is to make sure I can get enough of the other grey parts over to Ratchet so they don't stand out as much. This is also pending on getting my Ratchet (currently Fedexed) and avoiding pinned joints.

I say you should go ahead and do a full swap.

3. Xhairs

Xhairs Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    very cool.

4. QmTablit

Thanks

Still thinking about the calves. Maybe after I eat.

I don't think I'm going to touch the elbows though. I'd like to avoid removing pins as much as possible. And for something as minute as an elbow joint, the trouble just isn't worth it.

But the Henkei slide panel is the same color as both Henkei & Universe Ironhide. Uni. Ratchet is the only one with a black panel.

Edit: Nevermind. The front tires are pinned through the quarterpanel into the calf. I'm not going to bother switching them.

5. RodimusDawg

RodimusDawg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Do ittt!!!! Do it now!!!! Swap da partz!!!

This is what they should have been honestly. Great to know that a few swaps will get you even more accurate figs without even having to paint. But yes please post pics of both as soon as you get a chance.

6. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    can you take a few more pics of the chest from different angles? I'm surprised at the one shot as it looks a lot lighter than I'd have thought since it's black. I made mention of the bullbars and the bumpers being the same color, and that they should be swapped to be more real-world accurate. it looks good don't it?

7. QmTablit

I'm leaving it at the slide plate because swapping anything else is more bothersome than I care for. But I took a couple shots of Ratchet with the silver plate, and one with it and Henkei Ratchet.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It looks great. I think the lightness was just a combination of the blue tinted window and the led flashlights I was using. But I took more pictures without the additional lights or flash from camera, to give a better idea of how the black plate looks.

[​IMG]

The rest are up at the original post.

8. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    I'm going to get both u and henkei versions and swap parts between 'em. one will be for fodder, and I want as much white as possible. So I'll put the red shoulders on the one that'll stay as Ratchet. I view it as he's an updated version, like true Classics line toys were, new alt mode, deco everything. This will satisfy me, and then I'll have a good base fig with a lot of white parts for easy painting. woop. Definitely gonna swap bumpers with Ironhide too though.

9. Solrac333

Solrac333 G1 got it right!

Ebay:
    Yeah, I see what you mean about the calf pieces. I wish the could come off and switch them. At least to repaint them.

10. Optimist_Prime

Optimist_Prime The Original Optimist!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This is great and all, but how did you do it. I agree that I would probably do this switch, if it is not too complicated.

11. QmTablit

You just remove two screws on Ironhide & Ratchet's left side, one is under the passenger-side taillight, the other is just behind the head. That's all that keeps the torso together. Shimmy the bumper and slide panel off, that's pretty much one piece connected. Swap, and put each back together.

The rear windshield might slide off while you're doing it, but that's no trouble to put back in place either.

12. Optimist_Prime

Optimist_Prime The Original Optimist!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Huh, yeah I thought it would be A LOT harder than that. Thanks for the how-to man :wink:  .

13. QmTablit

The only way you could make it difficult is if you wanted to keep the bumpers and swap JUST the slide panel. Because then you'd have to hammer out a pin and keep track of a spring and such.

14. Valkyrie Hunter

Valkyrie Hunter Member

Neeee ha, another undead thread! Anyways, I found this thread while looking for stuff I could do to Ironhide, and I wanted to pass some news to Kusanagi and anyone else who may want to do some parts swapping with their Ironhides and Ratchets.

First, the calf pieces are easy to swap. At first I too was discouraged to see that the wheel was pinned through the quarter panel into the calf piece. I hated the idea of putting a soldering iron near Ironhide just to remove a stupid pin, but after a second look, I lucked out. After removing the two screws from the calf piece, I lined up a small flat head screwdriver with the pin and wedged it between the quarter panel and calf pieces. I slowly applied some upward pressure to the screwdriver, attempting to separate the calf from the quarter panel. With very little effort, the calf piece popped off the pin-it turns out the pin is only 2mm deep (at most) into the calf piece. With that discovery, I proceeded to do the same with the other calf pieces, and it just got easier each time. Re-assembling the pieces was easy, I just lined up the pin holes with the 2mm protrusion of the pin itself and put the screws back.

Second, there's no pin removal needed if you want to swap the elbows. Just remove the big screw on the forearm and the smaller one on the bicep area. Separating the front halves of the forearm and bicep will show you the elbow joint can then be easily removed and swapped. However, Ratchet will always have some red on the elbows since both he and Ironhide share a common red piece.

I really like the solid red on Ironhide's lower legs now:

[​IMG]

It makes the legs look less hollow and is just much more reminiscent of his original color scheme. In any case, I hope this helps someone else out there who was thinking of using a soldering iron to remove those tire pins. (I hate those things)

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 29, 2013
  15. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    VH, thanks so much for the update there!

I did the bumper swap with mine, and I think that it looks much better!

16. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

Haha! How weird... yeah, I've swapped pretty much all the parts that CAN be swapped on these guys, and I really like the effect. Ratchet looks better with less red, Ironhide better with more.

I did the easy stuff a year ago or more, but it's funny... I JUST did the calf pin-removal thing about 2 weeks ago. I totally agree... that is the EASIEST pin I've ever removed. It pops out with almost no effort, so it's shouldn't be an issue for anyone.

I never used a soldering iron for pin removals. Usually I just use a small punch (or mini-screwdriver) and a hammer to expose enough of the pin, and then some pliers to yank it out. Most of them are not so bad to remove, though occasionally you end up with a stubborn one. Better than rivets. Those are a drag.

zmog

17. wheeljack359

wheeljack359 Master Technician

Ebay:
    I just swapped the parts on mine and i think it also looks good with the crotch swpped out. The less red on Ratchet and the more red on Ironhide looks great, I also painted the face silver on Ironhide so the figure went from meh to pretty good!

Mine werent Takara versions they are the Hasbro ones!

18. BScorpinok75

BScorpinok75 Squadron X #1 Consultant

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    Cool! :thumb 

19. wheeljack359

wheeljack359 Master Technician

Ebay:
    you can grab the calf parts firmly but gently with a nice pliers and the will work off slowly. Thats how I got mine done!

20. Lt. Faceless

Lt. Faceless I'm a puppet

The waist was one of the first parts i swapped too.I'm surpirsed with all the parts swapping and pin removing noone done it sooner.