Ironhide issues (both FAB and Voyager)

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Liege Prime, Jun 2, 2007.

1. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    First, I've had no real problems with any normal deluxes, or Leader Prime, or real gear toys, so they all seem great to me. Anyways, I wanted to give everything a chance, so I also picked up FAB Ironhide. Well... first, he is pretty odd and has some really bad arm articulation. But I don't know about everyone else, but the plastic seems VERY light and fragile, actually a lot like some plastic I have seen used for a couple of KO's I have. I hope this isn't a new trend for Hasbro, considering they charge just as much for these as normal Deluxes.

Now I also have Voyager Ironhide, and I have to say I was thinking he would be easily one of my favorites from the early images and reviews. Well, I am dissapointed. He looks great, when everything is holding together, but there are several leg panels, and the back parts of the doors, that are completely loose and just dangle. His upper torso pops loose if I try to move his arms in a backwards direction, and his shoulders come loose very easily. Now, if I am doing something wrong, someone please let me know, because Hasbros intructions are a tiny outline of how he actually transforms. Also, a trend I noticed with the movie deluxes is that these toys are much more hollow then Cybertron or Classics. I was hoping that was just the deluxes, which are small and work fine still and have lots of molding detail to makeup for it. But I was surprised they are doing this with the voyagers. He is extremely light in comparison to Cybertron or Classics voyagers and you can tell he is a bit more hollow.

I know there are a lot of people defending the movie line to the death, and trust me, I just spent $300 on them, so I want to like them to. I just wanted to see if it isn't just me with these problems. Still though, I love the leader Prime and deluxes so far, just my first open voyager and FAB are terribly dissapointing, and I wanted to kind say that the review sections don't seem to be covering all the issues I am seeing.

2. Liege Prime

News Credits:
    Oh! I almost forgot, voyager is vastly different from his packaging images. The smoke stacks are different, the placement of the smokestacks are different in bot mode, the headlights are smaller in the actual toy, and other various little things.

3. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    Damn, I had been hearing so much good about Ironhide too. I'll probably still end up picking him up at some point (SS first though).

I'm actually glad you've brought up some of these points though, because hearing nothing but good isn't always a good thing.

Yeah I've noticed that hollow thing too, either from pics or from other people's accounts...probably has to do with the movie aesthetic.

4. Liege Prime

News Credits:
    Yeah, no matter what negativity I read, I would have bought him just for his looks. I don't play with them, just like to pose them and display them. I just wanted to point this stuff out for those who will play with him and see, again, if maybe I have a defect or I did something wrong in transformation.

5. talkin jibberish

talkin jibberish Well-Known Member

yeah i thought the same of ironhide, he does seem a bit flimsy but he is an awesome looking figure. but for a figure with so much articulation he is very hard to get into decent poses only found one good pose which i posted on here

6. talkin jibberish

7. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Your opinion was noted. Now get lost. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I don't have FAB Ironhide (plan on picking him up later though), but I did get FAB Prime and I have to say that his plastic doesn't seem cheap at all. Matter of fact, I have to be careful of how I balance him in action poses, because he's very back heavy plastic wise (the whole back section ends up on his back due to the simplified transformation). It may just be FAB Ironhide is kind of crappy (it happens not every figure in a line is a gem) or it may be that FAB Prime is the best the FAB line has to offer. Can't really say as Prime's the only FAB I've got right now.

As for Voyager Ironhide, I do have him, and I have been having trouble with his upper shoulder area... the armor plates that form his chest/shoulder combo. To stabalize them properly you basically have to pull them off to the side all the way until you hear a snapping in place kind of noise. However, it makes him look different from all his design pics... basically that section ends up almost a straight vertical while according to the pics it should be at an angle, however, if you leave it at an angle it flops around on the springs. Another point that goes with this is that if you do extend them all the way out he's not very poseable in his arms because the whole thing gets in the way of his shoulder articulation due to where the wheels end up in robot mode, however, if you leave them loose you can have free range of shoulder movements, but if you pick him up a lot his chest/shoulder armor will bounce around.

I haven't had any problems with the leg panels or anything like that, but I suppose if you press down on them they will move by themselves... unfortunately none of the Automorph features on any of the movie toys seem to actually lock into place very well and that's probably due to them have springs and such.

I too have noticed that the movie toys (deluxes and voyagers) seem to have a little less mass to them, but I think that the high detailing and sculpting make up for it. Not to mention Ironhide is one of the most visually impressive figures in the line even with his transformation issues.

8. talkin jibberish

definately ironhide looks the dogs bollox! cant wait to see a full shot in the movie and the toy is a good looking toy

9. talkin jibberish

just noticed tho that the eyes on my ironhide aren't painted.......are they supposed to be

10. Deathx360

Deathx360 Farewell Dear Friend

News Credits:
    No. Hold the figure up to the light so the light will shine through the back of his head and you will see his eyes. I thought the same thing at first until I did that.

11. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Your opinion was noted. Now get lost. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I don't believe so as I know mine aren't and niether is the one a friend bought. Although it would have been nice if they had used some of the gold trim around the head and mouth to fleck the eyes a bit. If I can find the right gold paint I may attempt this mysefl.

12. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    I don't have Voyager (yet), but I do have FAB Ironhide, and he does not feel cheap (sturdier than classics Rodimus or Astrotrain) he's not very poseable, but his fun factor is off the shizzle! TFing him back and forth is the best part, he still looks amazing and does the fists-on-hips/tuff-n-buff-guy pose very well. He's so cool in topkick mode, and his head is deffinate win!

13. Liege Prime

News Credits:
    I actually have FAB Prime and you are right, the plastic feels fine and I am actually pretty happy with him.

14. Liege Prime

News Credits:
    I do think Ironhide is amazing looking in both modes, just feels a little flimsy. I would rate him pretty high still.

15. MilkManX

MilkManX TF Comicbook Fan

I love my Voyager Ironhide but he was a paint to transform and his legs dont allow for much posability. Other than that he looks awesome.

16. Cody2003

Cody2003 Well-Known Member

I just got voyager Ironhide today myself. on mine the shoulder pads/hood pieces would stand up straight vertically. I tried the methods previously attempted without luck. the springs just had to much tension. In the end I cut the upper springs so that the shoulders stay at a slight angle like the package image. To be honest this is the way it should have come. I can pose him however I like now and it actually looks right. The only disadvantage that I found was that without the springs the shoulders tend to flop around and get in the way when you transform him, but it's a small price to pay compared to the awesomeness of the finished result.

30 seconds and a pair of wire cutters solves the problem.