Ironhide (GMC Topkick) featured cover article of new Truck Trend magazine

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Pvt. Hagetaka, Jun 8, 2007.

1. Pvt. Hagetaka

Pvt. Hagetaka Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Their website is pretty abysmal, and doesn't keep up to date coverage with their current issues (Motor Trend sells e-subscriptions to all its publications, so they don't want anything out there free), but the new Truck Trend out on shelves now has a cover article on the truck used as Ironhide in the movie. I wish I could give you pics of the cover, but someone'll have to buy it and take one.

They don't show any pics inside of robot Ironhide (just some stock footage everyone's seen already of others), but they do have quite a lot of info about modifications to the truck itself- such as them keeping the engine stock for fear of reliability issues, although they did relocate the battery box. They also put massively offset wheels in the back (most Topkicks are duallies, Ironhide only has four wheels), heavy Road Guard bumpers front and back as well as other mods. GM donated two Topkicks to the production so filming could be done simultaneously in different locations.

2. paskal

paskal SHWOOOO!!

I'll have to pick it up so I can build my very own Ironhide :D 

3. Greyryder

Greyryder Kitbashed

I'm curious if they mention anything about those blue running lights. I'm a fan of the color, but my understanding is that blue exterior lights on non police vehicles is a big nono.

4. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Nice find. I wonder if you might be able to use this article to customise a GMC Topkick into an Ironhide of your own? That would be pretty cool.

5. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot Arise Rodimus Prime

News Credits:
    Ironhide is awesome! I definitely love his alt mode. Also my fav robot mode.

6. liechentron

liechentron Well-Known Member

the blue lights on the exterior is ok as long as their not rotating

7. JaviSRK

JaviSRK Push my button.

News Credits:
    [​IMG]
    Small image, however...

8. OrionPaximus

OrionPaximus Well-Known Member

News Credits:

I had skull lights that would light up blue. These were on my license plate, and the policeman monitoring campus activity said it would be advisable for me to disconnect these lights. Blue is a no go as it's associated with law enforcement. Did he give me bad advice? Perhaps..... But the gentlemen who tried to contest the ticket he received got a hefty 2500 fine.

9. Primus

Primus Beware, the modelers. Veteran

News Credits:
    What's up Haggy!! Haven't seen you in *ages*.

10. Runamuck

Runamuck Swindle Knows Best

News Credits:

I thought it was illegal for any car(except those that come out of the factory with the blue-ish hue headlights, and emergency vehicles) to have ANY blue lights on the car...rotating or not.

11. Lance Halberd

Lance Halberd oh hai

News Credits:
  12. Pvt. Hagetaka

Pvt. Hagetaka Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Not much. Moved to Georgia last year, get out of the Army in a week. Might be going back to Iraq/Kuwait, but this time making contracter money. Never stopped collecting, just kinda moved my online life over to Something Awful. Kudos on the website- I knew the crew here would handle the increased traffic and news from the movie pretty well.

I promise I'll be around more :D 

13. StefanXPrime

StefanXPrime Hater of all things G1

yeah off topic kinda my fog lights are blue on my car

14. AutoCon2076

AutoCon2076 Brightest can in toolshed

So yer lookin at an MSRP of $60,000-$90,000 for the truck alone. Those tires are an easy $300-$400 a piece (my Cherokee's tires were only $195ea.). Road Armor (not Road Guard!) bumpers are amongst the best in the industry. The front one alone was probably $1000-$2000 or so - not too sure on those.

Good luck on that truck! ^_^ I've been working to get an ARB Armor Bumper for over a year - but my Transformers collection stands in its way. Id've had it, too, were it not for buying Metrotitan, Black Zarak, and Overlord. The bumpers aren't going anywhere soon; however the other three ceased production over fifteen years ago.

~Z

15. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
  16. Screechatron

Screechatron Well-Known Member

I love America and its excess!

Reading the article, the descriptions of this gigantor fit my view of Ironhide's personality very well. Dare I say Bay made a good choice!

17. Type-R

Type-R blissed off my chonk!

News Credits:
  18. Mumble-bee

Mumble-bee inveterate lurker

It's a giant robot. you wanna tell him his lights are illegal?

cop: "Mr Ironhide sir, you can't have blue lights, they're for police only!"
    Ironhide: *squish*

19. Infosaur

Infosaur Well-Known Member

I'm sure the blue light regulations vary from juristiction to juristiction. Plus some precincts are too lazy to pull you over where as other neighborhoods will read you the riot act.

For my non-American friends out there who don't understand, some parts of the US are as different from each other as Germany is from Sicaly. Some small towns enforce obscure laws rigorously so they can write tickets and fines. The fines are applied to a significant portion of the town's operating budget. Other areas are high-crime war zones, where the cops are so focused on the murders, guns, drugs and assaults that they often won't bother to write a ticket for a busted tail light.