Ironhide #3 - Spoiler-filled thread

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by tusko, Jul 7, 2010.

1. tusko

tusko Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Flickr:
    So what d'ya think of Ironhide #3.

My thoughts:
    Yay Sunstreaker!
    Alpha Trion is weird.
    Tough guy Ironhide wouldn't be in this situation if he were tougher on Earth.
    The swarm must be running low on juice if one bot is going to be their undoing.
    Ugh, resurrection paves the way for Outback, Reflector, Wreckers.... reboot.

2. mugen_prime

mugen_prime Well-Known Member

I KNEW Sunstreaker wasn't dead. I had suggested he wasn't dead, and people were like "nah he's dead". I'll agree Alpha Trion was a bit odd. Maybe I need to read it over again, but Alpha's explanation of how he brought Ironhide beck didn't make a whole lot of sense.

3. Sideswipe80

Sideswipe80 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    How'd he do it? I won't get my copy till tomorrow.

4. Grimlock1991

Grimlock1991 Well-Known Member

Ironhide and Sunstreaker never died? That psychotic. SO can he bring back Scrapper?

5. SharkyMcShark

SharkyMcShark Hi. I'm better than you

News Credits:
    Could you all be a bit more specific?

6. tusko

tusko Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Flickr:
    So Ironhide took a hit 4 million years ago and during the repairs had his spark transferred to the core. Whatever that is. Alpha Trion somehow knew Ironhide died on Earth, but decided he needed Ironhide to save Cybertron. So he recovered that 4 million year old copy from the core (whatever that is) and built Ironhide a new body. He slapped the two together like peanut butter and chocolate and we got a limited series.

Sunstreaker never died... he just remained broken in mind and body at the bottom of the chasm. What's alarming is that Alpha Trion has no empathy towards him, and just thinks he's scrap.

7. Cyclonus86

Cyclonus86 Wrecker - Wreck 'N' Rule

News Credits:
    Cylons?

Seriously though, this is how Costa is fix his mistake killing Ironhide. Making Back ups. Now Idw Transformers can join the rank of mainstream comic characters that can never stay dead.

8. Deadboy

Deadboy Well-Known Member

Actually, I don't think it was a "mistake" killing Ironhide. I'm pretty sure this was what they were planning on doing all along when they decided to kill him. Which is actually worse.

9. DarthCrusher

DarthCrusher Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Has anyone considered that Alpha Trion isn't who we think he is? That he's wearing clothing for more than just protection from radiation? That he's acting in a similar fashion to a certain other mech who thought that death and destruction were the way to revive Cybertron? That his helmet and body design make him look rather similar to said certain other mech?

He's Bludgeon. Heard it on the IDW forums, and I'm calling it.

10. KAGE

KAGE aka: GibsonKAGE

News Credits:
    I'll be the first to step up and say I was one of them lol! But I'm glad the both of them are back! Hope to get a Sideswipe and Sunstreaker series, cause they need one! Also I notice the cover is a lot thinner paper on this issue.

Yeah I had a hard time following "A3's" explanation myself. When he was saying "core" I was thinking energon/laser core so i don't know about that. But "core" maybe Vector Sigma's core seeing he had to repair it to bring Ironhide back?

But yeah Alpha was a trip fest lol!

11. UltraMagnus3786

UltraMagnus3786 That's what it is

Thank goodness I didn't look at the previews. Self-control is really paying off these days with the super spoilerific previews being released since ongoing #1.

I thought A3's personality was a bit off. I was expecting the "grandfather" G1esque version full of wisdom, competence, compassion, not a cocky cloaked ninja protoss zealot from starcraft, although I'll admit he looked really cool.

i was also expecting more of an explanation of everything-- why choose ironhide (aside from "you're a good soldier"), where did A3 come from, an explanation for metroplex, etc. The "core" thing could've been more clear and concise, allowing time to answer some other questions. I also wonder if IDW has been planning this since AHM and the metroplex spotlight, or if it's something Costa decided to run with after he took the reigns. I mean no criticism here either way, I think it's a cool twist but it could've been handled with more grace and weight.

I agree, that twinkle in his eye at the end of his AHM Coda spotlight seemed to indicate otherwise. I'm glad he stayed out as long as he did though, and that his comeback wasn't really rushed. Say what you will about McCarthy, but I personally thought the Sunstreaker saga was quite tragic and quite an interesting read. What was disappointing was that only Sideswipe seemed to be affected by the big reveal-- 'Streaker and the betrayal were never mentioned again after he sacrificed himself. Might've been nice for Costa to somehow revisit it in the beginning of the ongoing, even with a throwaway line from Prime like "we still haven't rebounded since the betrayal and our win over the cons."

Fully agree here. Hopefully we'll get an A3 spotlight that fleshes him out a bit more because that was very odd to me too, but hopefully it becomes clear in the last issue WHY he's so obsessed with bringing back cybertron.

I have to disagree here, I'm interested to see where this goes altho sadly I think it'll only be used in this one situation given A3 saying how hard it was to accomplish. I think this series has been a nice tangent from the ongoing and it connects nicely from the metroplex spotlight. I am a bit disappointed though that the current ironhide is exonerated from any wrongdoing (smashing up mirage) that the other ironhide committed.

Interesting thought, but I'm not sure that he'd choose to bring back Ironhide. Plus I don't see him chilling inside Metroplex. I think last time we saw him he was out with Monstructor in the Perceptor AHM Coda story, so I don't think he'd be here alone now.

12. Andersonh1

Andersonh1 Man, I've been here a LONG time Veteran

Ebay:
    Ironhide #3
    I was initially a bit disappointed when I read the preview pages and saw Alpha Trion, because it seems like we just can't get away from the old stand-by characters. Bit by bit, no matter what continuity we're in, they come back. But once I read the entire issue, I decided that the character was sufficiently different and well-used in the storyline that it doesn't bother me.

So Ironhide follows the mysterious bot into the powered section of city and encounters Alpha Trion. Amusingly, Trion announces himself but Ironhide has no clue who he is, much to Trion's annoyance. Alpha Trion is also arrogant and dishonest, and hasn't gone out to rescue Sunstreaker, even though he's aware that he's alive. It's amusing when late in the issue Sunstreaker recognizes him, and AT is irritated that Ironhide still doesn't know who he is. He just can't let that go. AT is not the wise, kindly old self-sacrificial Autobot of the old cartoon, and this new take on him was enough to take away that earlier feeling that I was seeing something from the same old playbook, as it were. I like this new, somewhat shifty and crazy Alpha Trion.

In a move I was hoping for, Ironhide rescues Sunstreaker, and I was delighted to see it. Not only does it confirm what AHM #14 hinted at, that Sunstreaker wasn't killed by the fall or the explosion, but I feel that after all the development that the character got, it was a shame to finish him off no matter how much sense it made. And Ironhide's willingness to risk life and limb for a fellow Autobot is the type of selfless act I enjoy seeing. Let's face it: IDW's Autobots aren't the upstanding, noble Autobots of the old days, so it's refreshing to see Ironhide acting in a selfless manner. And Sunstreaker's still seriously screwed up in the head as well as physically, so nothing he's been through is being swept aside here.

So that's all well and good. Then there's the matter of Ironhide's resurrection. Let me see if I have this right.

Apparently in the old days, whenever a Transformer was damaged, their spark returned to "the core" and then would be "rebooted". All memories and experiences were downloaded up to that point, and the damaged Transformer was repaired and the spark returned. When Cybertron was damaged during the fight with Thunderwing, Vector Sigma was badly damaged and much of the information on it was lost. Alpha Trion was able to reconstruct Ironhide's memories up to the point where his connection with the core was disrupted, and build him a new body. I'm guessing that this is a similar process to Optimus Prime's download of his core conciousness into his trailer during his fight with Megatron back in Escalation. Do I buy it? Sure, why not? I'm not quite sure how his spark figures into the equation though. I'm guessing it came back somehow as well, but I couldn't tell you how.

So we have an Ironhide that has no knowledge of the last four million years, in a new body on Cybertron. And Alpha Trion's brought him back to kill off the Swarm. By himself. Hm... that's just crazy. Kind of like Alpha Trion. Always assuming he is who he claims to be...

Overall: it's hard not to be cynical about a comic-book resurrection, but the method used makes enough sense for a Transformer that I can buy it. Alpha Trion is sufficiently well characterized that I don't really mind the use of the character... he's hardly even the same character as before, so that helps. Sunstreaker is rescued, which delights me no end, and the situation of Cybertron's habitability is being addressed. Maybe we'll find out that the Swarm somehow got rid of the radiation that we saw in Stormbringer, and that's why it was barely a factor during AHM. Who knows?

I like the issue. It's not as much of a twist as I was hoping for after a great couple of issues, but I enjoyed it. And Casey Coller's art is excellent, as always.

13. KAGE

News Credits:
    So I'm guessing some how AT captured the original Ironhide's spark in "the core" when he died is that what's going on? Still does not explain too much of the memory lost subject.

EDIT: OK, never mind I get it now LOL!

14. Andersonh1

Andersonh1 Man, I've been here a LONG time Veteran

Ebay:
    I'm assuming the memories Ironhide has are just those up to the point where the accident happened. Alpha Trion said his connection to the core had been disrupted, so presumably everything past that point was never copied.

The impression I got is that backups and restorations to life, as it were, of Transformers isn't normally possible. It may well have been back in the past before Cybertron was destroyed, but not now. It took AT years to rebuild and recover enough to restore Ironhide, and even then it wasn't the most recent version, but one from the distant past.

So I still don't think we're getting easy resurrections here. And I don't think AT was being entirely truthful either... there's another shoe that still needs to drop here.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2010
  15. Clutchburn

Clutchburn Swollen Member

Ebay:
    Thats funny I was thinking the same thing as well when I saw his helmet and hidden face in the preview pages. My bets are on Bludgeon too.

16. KAGE

News Credits:
    A theory on "the core", maybe the core of Cybertron? Working in the new WFC elements of Cybertron having a spark? Try not to think about the Beast Machines version, that's just going to make things all the more difficult LOL!

17. SharkyMcShark

SharkyMcShark Hi. I'm better than you

News Credits:
    Finally got around to reading it.

Um, regarding the Swarm, weren't there only 3000 of them made (I thought the ratio of dud mutants to good Insecticons was 1000:1)? Given that they chewed through a fair few in AHM I can't see there being enough to immobilise the entire planet of Cybertron.

18. Scrapper6

Scrapper6 Lord of Constructicons

We're talking about Insecticons here, capable of cloning themselves. Perhaps these mutated Swarm versions can reproduce using Asexual Budding similar to the G2 Decpeticons of the Liege Maximo... A nice little nod to the ACTUAL Swarm from Marvel's comics. :D 

19. UltraMagnus3786

UltraMagnus3786 That's what it is

I'm just hoping that this last issue coming up isn't about knocking heads but somehow manages to mystify and shock us like the previous issues.

20. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    I'm just going to say, if Sunstreaker is back, they better bring back Hunter, too.