Ironhide #1 Discussion

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Tim Formas, May 11, 2010.

1. Tim Formas

Tim Formas Old Man Administrator

News Credits:
  2. Sideswipe80

Sideswipe80 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    What's the cliffhanger?

3. Tim Formas

News Credits:
    I'll let someone else spoil that tomorrow when the issue is actually released. Given the preview descriptions for the solicitations for future issues, the cliffhanger should be pretty easy to figure out.

4. Sideswipe80

News Credits:
    Ah then that makes me a happy panda then.

5. Oracle_Aesir

Oracle_Aesir Outback is back

News Credits:
    Are those the guys who were killed in Spotlight:Hot Rod in the background of that Autobot group shot?

6. Tim Formas

News Credits:
    Yup! Backbeat, Gizmo, and Download are all there. Everyone's favorite Mini-bot spacecraft/flying saucer also makes an appearance!

Just read as well, from his deviantART blog, that Casey Coller is stepping away from doing comic interiors after Ironhide. :( 

7. Sledgehammer

Sledgehammer Digital art monkey

Liking the art very much, and the writing looks sound from what I've seen of the previews - might actually have to pick this up. :thumb 

Nothing wrong with a bit of Senior, but each to their own.

8. Moy

Moy Constructicons!

News Credits:
    i wish these designs would stop being made.. sorry.

9. Brutus

Brutus Autobot

Does anyone know if this series is moving to the PSP?

10. Repugnus

Repugnus ActionMaster

News Credits:
    Finally, a reference to Maccadam's in IDW continuity!

11. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    May I once again remind people that the tfwiki, like other fan sites, is not run by a faceless corporation, and ask people to refrain from directly-linking images off of our server.

EDIT: Thanks

12. UltraMagnus3786

UltraMagnus3786 That's what it is

spoilers to come in this post

solid, solid beginning. loved the banter between prime and ironhide, it reminded me of that ahm coda issue.

it's interesting that costa plants the idea early on that the war is more than (meets the eye of) two factions fighting, but rather a deep, divided ideology or philosphy. Prime knows this, and the entire page of his realization of that was drawn perfectly--from prime's facepalm to the shot of his gun-- by coller.

Ironhide is portrayed quite well as a foot soldier willing to do anything to help prime. the revelation of course is that Ironhide is alive and wandering around cybertron. Again, the art nicely contrasts ironhide against energon-deprived cybertron.

kudos to the entire team on this effort. looking forward to the next issue.

13. G1Wheeljack

G1Wheeljack Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Really liked this issue, Casey Coller's art is really refreshing for those who want something more bricky and Costa's writing is really up to par with these characters. I loved the little reference to Spotlight Ramjet also, that got a chuckle out of me :)  My only concern is due to where the issue ends I feel the rest of the series might have a very different feel to it.

14. Lord Shockwave

Lord Shockwave Well-Known Member

Awesome.

This is one of those issues that I think Marvel fans, DW fans, IDW fans, Figueroa fans, Guido fans, U.S. fans. U.K. fans, Furman fans, McCarthy fans, Costa fans, etc will all come to a very similar conclusion about. This was one damn good read. There's something here to like for everyone.

Costa does an excellent job with this spearhead issue featuring a character I simply have had no interest in in the past. I have found Ironhide to be quite the yawn-inducing bore, and when this was first announced, I yawned yet again. But after this issue, I'm stoked about this mini.

Coller knocks this out of the park. I mean, if you like classic TF, it doesn't get any cleaner than this. Casey channels Guido with some Fig and even a little Pat Lee thrown in. And it works very nicely (despite the Lee part). LaFuente's colors complement Coller's style so well, this issue was nigh flawless. I don't think I have seen such a beautiful classic Prime in a long time. There are some mind-blowing panels. Particularly loved the one with Soundwave standing over Prime. Got chills up my spine with that. Those who were fond of Dreamwave's house coloring style (me) will enjoy the visuals here even more.

And speaking of Prime, Costa has given him his mojo back. It's refreshing to see kick-ass Prime again, as opposed to the passive bot we have in the ongoing.

Costa gives a very humorous nod to the Ramjet spotlight in this one which had me laughing out loud. Nice to see Blurr looking as he did in his spotlight. A UK nod with Maccadams. And Windcharger! Finally, some Windcharger!

Interestingly, Costa's best work has been on the peripherals (AHM Starscream story, Prowl Spotlight, and now this). I think it's only a matter of time, as things unfold, that Costa gets his A-game going with the main title.

If there is a real flaw in this, it's that it read quite fast.

Give it an "A". I had low expectations of this, and perhaps this contributes to the high marks I give this. But I really enjoyed this.

15. Beastbot X

Beastbot X The Toad Knows.

News Credits:
    Yeah, this was a pretty good comic. (Not quite LSotW good, but what is?) Story seems to be headed in a solid direction so far, I'm really curious what the "BEEP" bit at the beginning has in relevance to the ending of this issue. Also loved the couple of lines Ramjet had as well, and the art is the usual fantastic work I've come to expect from Coller.

My only complaint, albeit it a small one, is that I really couldn't "hear" Ironhide saying "But I love 'im" in reference to Prime. That doesn't sound like Ironhide-speak to me.

EDIT: Oh, and Silverstreak was mis-colored as Smokescreen.

16. Sideswipe80

News Credits:
    Great issue!

17. UltraMagnus3786

UltraMagnus3786 That's what it is

You hit the nail on the head with a lot of what you said here, and I couldn't agree more. It's interesting to see him portray prime in so many different ways. From just this one writer, we see optimus as the recently-made prime, a lost warrior (spotlight prowl), and a grieving soldier (ongoing). Good that Costa can wear so many prime hats. This makes me wonder what plans he's got for Prime in the ongoing, especially since he's (thankfully) taking his time with things instead of blowing his load within the initial 6-story arc of an ongoing with no end in sight. I hope the critics can at least recognize in this story the guy's got some skills.

18. KAGE

KAGE aka: GibsonKAGE

News Credits:
    This was some good stuff. But I hope Ironhide's resurrection is something he always had planed and not something to please the fans.

But yeah the "I love him" part was weird but a REAL good read! :thumb 

19. mugen_prime

mugen_prime Well-Known Member

I was a little disappointed that almost the whole issue was a flashback, a somewhat redundant flashback. But aside from that it's seeming pretty good so far. It's definitely MUCH better than the Bumblebee series already. I'm looking forward to the next issue though.

20. Smokescreen

Smokescreen The Ultimate Gambler TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I haven't had a chance to read this issue yet, but from the pics that I've seen I believe it's supposed to be Bluestreak in his blue and silver diaclone colors.