Non-TF: Iron Man - Colors

Discussion in 'Transformers Fan Art' started by VaderPrime1, Apr 12, 2011.

1. VaderPrime1

VaderPrime1 Prepare for termination!

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Coloring of Iron Man. With some help from fellow board members, I did some nice dynamic lighting that I really like. I plan on using it in the future.

(Original line art is by Jeremy Bear.)

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. kjeevahh

kjeevahh n/a

News Credits:
    That's quite a challenge you're setting yourself! So it looks like you have a very strong backlight, a whole bunch of medium strength lights from the ones in his suits, and then a weak light coming from in front.

so on each piece of him you need to consider how much light is hitting it from each separate light.

if you have a backlit scene then that's crying out for some hard edged highlights, if you backlight an object then it gets strong white edges -

[​IMG]

here's an example of how this would work for yours.

[​IMG]

a couple of things at play here, firstly the strong white edges from the backlight, then some softer highlights from the light in his suit, then lastly a glow from the light.

glow effects are really really simple to do and look nice, josh always gives examples of them. just make a new layer, set the blend mode of the layer to linear dodge, and then just paint away on that layer in your desired colour. works brilliantly.

also something else you might like to have a play around with is offsetting your highlights, you can see on this press shot of iron man that there ar ehard highlights on the edges from the backlighting, and then darker again, and then light in the middle.

[​IMG]

here's an example of how the same thing could work on yours, makes it instantly look more metallic

[​IMG]

i've actually done an example of a larger area, his torso and head, let me know if the above examples are enough to work from or if you would like to see the larger example.

hope that helps!

3. VaderPrime1

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Immensely!!! Thank you.

*gets to work*

4. kjeevahh

kjeevahh n/a

News Credits:
    another little example, metal shiny on a gold bit:

[​IMG]

5. VaderPrime1

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    ***UPDATE***

Let me know if I went overboard or under board with the glares. :lol 

EDIT: I missed a few actually. Fixed.

Attached Files:

6. kjeevahh

kjeevahh n/a

News Credits:
    Looking fantastic, but in answer to your question - a bit over I reckon. When you go to add a highlight on just be sure to think about where the light is coming from that is hitting that edge.. is there a bright light coming from that direction, or just a soft one? or none at all?

here's that larger example I mentioned, it's a bit different style to yours but still you should be able to get the idea, have a look at for example the rim on his armour to the left of the light at the bottom-right, you can see the edge there is highlighted because it's in the direct path of his shoulder light. you've made a good start on doing this already on some bits.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

so i'd tone down or remove some of the highlights on the bottom right edges of him in particular, and then add in a few more subtle ones where light from his suit lights is hitting. getting a background in there too will help reenforce what direction the strongest light is coming from. also i can't recommend highly enough having a go at a subtle linear dodge blue glow coming off his lights, lots of fun

7. VaderPrime1

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Yeah, I tried that, I found one and it was called "Linear Dodge (Add)" not sure if if it's the same. (different name for CS5?) I used it and did the light's with that setting. Is there something special I have to do with it once it's selected? But that's what I used, I might be doing something wrong in my application of it?

8. kjeevahh

kjeevahh n/a

News Credits:
    Yep that's exactly the one, the way to use it is to colour the light itself in white, and then use a soft brush to do the linear dodge thing on a layer above in a plain colour - eg. blue - it'll then add a blue glow whilist leaving the white intact

9. VaderPrime1

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Ok, I figured out the linear dodge. :D 

I also tried many different background scenes, but I haven't come up with anything I like so far. Might just leave it.

Attached Files:

10. kjeevahh

kjeevahh n/a

News Credits:
    pleased with the progress?

11. VaderPrime1

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Yeah! I really like how the new lighting (down the center of the piece instead of on the edges) makes it really look metallic.

I decided to leave out the texture because I wanted it to look like he just pulled it out of his Hall of Armor. :D 

12. sh4d0w dweller

sh4d0w dweller Well-Known Member

there making a battlefield 3?!?!?!?!?!?!

13. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    wow! you're really making some great progress!!!

kudos to kjeevah for taking the time to give you such valuable crits and tips!

i'm really liking this!

but i think its just missing that something to make it really pop!

you should try some specular highlights here and there! and dont be afraid to go bright! i know Iron Man's suit doesnt really come off as all that reflective but i think itd be helpful to exaggerate a little in a still image like this. some good bright highlights would better sell the whole "metal armor" thing Iron Man has going for him

i dont have any off-hand examples from artwork but if you just google "specular highlights" you get a pretty good idea of what i'm talking about!

specular highlights - Google Search

i'll see if i can find any art examples though later on

i think maybe experimenting with some colored rim lighting might help or something as well but that might be a little much for now :D 

14. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    here's a little paintover i did!

might look kinda fancy but i only did 2 or 3 different, real simple, things to it

[​IMG]

1- specular highlights! i created a new layer over the top and set it to Overlay. i used a hard round brush with white as my color and the first thing i did was go into the brush settings under "other dynamics" and under the opacity jitter there's a drop box that says Control: Off

i set it to fade. there's a number box that pops up and what that does is control how big of a trail your brush will make. i found something to my liking and just brushed on the big streaks there. If you REALLY want the same thing could be achieved a little bit simpler. You could just take the hard round brush tool just as it is and make a big huge white line where you want the streak. Then take an airbrush style eraser and [varying the opacity] gently erase one end until you get the desired look you want.

but i mean, there's literally dozens of ways you can do ANYTHING with Photoshop [or whatever program you're using!]

i made some more little white dot speculars here and there just to accentuate the brightest point that catches the shine as well

2 - colored rim lighting! or its a little bit of a second light source. This ones a little sloppy since i dont have your layered file but all i did was, again, make a new layer and i set it to hard light. i took the regular lasso tool and just selected the areas and shapes i wanted and then with an airbrush [and relatively low opacity! like around 30% or so] started brushing that stuff in kinda relative to where that second lightsource would be

3 - i messed with the color balance! this is a tool i use A LOT and it really does help me look a lot better than I really am! lol

just hit ctrl>b and you'll bring up the color balance window [or image>adjustments>color balance if you wanna get to it the old fashioned way] and here i mess with ALL the sliders [bkg, mid, high]

i also did some SLIGHT work with the dodge and burn tools just to get a more metallic contrast between shadows and highlights

but yeah

took me about 5 minutes and really helped to make the pic look a little more dynamic, IMO

let me know what ya think!

[PS. the contrast might be REALLY stark and stuff. i did it on my lap top and sometimes it comes out a bit darker than my screen shows it here. so just a warning!]

Attached Files:

15. TedimusPrime

TedimusPrime Well-Known Member

Hot damn your lines are ffffyyyne

16. VaderPrime1

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Thanks!

I went with your tips and it looks even better! Adding the second light source gave it definition, butting the spectacular lighting made it stand out, and the color dodge really helped with making it look more metallic. I can't believe the progress.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

17. VaderPrime1

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    I made the canvas a little bigger so the background didn't take away from the subject.

[​IMG]

Attached Files: