Iron Man #7: prelude to Civil War

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by Wreckgar, Apr 15, 2006.

1. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

Managed to get the issue today. Went to a local shop for some supplies, he had it under the class case and I asked about it. He offered to sell it to me. Being the fan I am, I got it and read it right away.

Overall I am highly impressed with the issue. Much better than Ellis' run, which was also good. But the Carnivale guys play off Extremis and Civil War very well.

It's slightly reminicent of Timeslide but definately better. Tony is seen as a little unstable since the extremis experiment. He does some very risky things and Cap calls him on it. We also see Luke badmough Tony a bit. However the most confusing and interesting thing is Fury being at SHIELD. (he's supposed to be in hiding) We also see Tony's decent against the others and why he is trying to build sides. In Illumaniti we see him get Richards on his side and Spidey in Amazing. Yet here he talks about his mistrust in SHIELD, the Avnegers, and Fury. The ending is also a bit of a shock and I'm curious as to the use of them.

So on Wednesday, buy it and get your butts back here and I want discussion!
    :D 

2. Shipwreck

Shipwreck Will smack your bitch

Can you spoil the ending for the rest of us?

3. Wreckgar

SPOILER

Tony is building what seems to be a bunch of Iron Man robots

4. Wing alpha

Wing alpha <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and

That Issue Will Be Mine

5. JD

JD Well-Known Member

What's the art like?

6. Wreckgar

7. Somebody

Somebody ReBoot

News Credits:
    One thing - it's NOT a Civil War tie-in in any way. It was written yoinks ago, so thanks to Ellis & Granov taking forever and a year-and-a-half for their six issues, Iron Man won't tie into the event where Iron Man is a major player until #13 & 14 - and then for the aftermath rather than the event itself.

8. artiepants

artiepants Just over here punching Unicron.

News Credits:
    did you see the Civil War Sketchbook? ther's a pic in it that might be related.

9. Wreckgar

I bought the sketchbook but didn't look through it yet.

As I said, it's not a tie-in but a prelude. It sets the stage for Tony's feelings during Civil War.

10. TheIncredibleHulk

TheIncredibleHulk Find Gary Busey!

If it just came out, why was it in the glass case?

11. Primal

Primal Moderator

News Credits:
    It's out this Wednesday (April 19th), it was most likely an advanced copy and kept in the glass case.

12. Wreckgar

yea, his glass case isn't a display case but the shelf under the register. He just threw all his advanced books there and i happened to spot the Iron Man one.

13. Wing alpha

Wing alpha <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and

hum read it.

I wonder Ultron robots esque ?

14. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Just read the issue and it was pretty good. I really liked Zircher when he drew Cable & Deadpool and he really shines on this issue. I can't wait to see the "evil Iron-Man" that's wacking off everyone. I didn't treally like how nonchalont Tony was after he killed Dynamo. Yeah he brought him back to life but he can't know 100% Dynamo would return to life. I havn't read the solo Iron-Man book in a while so I have a few questions: When Tony took off his armor, and he has that "underwear" or whatever underneath, it just dissolves away before the shower or what? And who is Dennis Kellard? ( the man boarding the plane)

15. Wreckgar

The armor underwear that dispolves actually goes into Tony's body. he exposed himself t othe Extremis virus and now he and the armor are one. Read issue 5 for the rundown.

As for the man on the plane, no idea.

16. thefrozenred

thefrozenred 4 8 15 16 23 42

Ebay:
    I am SO happy Ellis and Granov are off this book. Great story and art, but the wait was not worth it.

This, though? A new Iron Man one month after #6? AND featuring some REALLY nice art and storytelling? Sold. :D 

In any case, I'm really, really pleased to see that they're showing how Tony's being affected by the Extremis; the bit where he was in 4 "places" at once was very, very nice. It's also nice to see him treating his friends like crap again; one thing I liked about Tony that we haven't really seen recently is his difficulty at being a team player, and how he struggles with that.

I agree with Wreckgar that this skates precariously on the edge of reminding me of Timeslide (the robots, for instance), but this time around, Tony's not being manipulated into some braindead massacre; he actually IS doing what he feels is right, and what he intelligently believes will benefit everyone the most. I like that; he has a vision, and he's using his power to make it real. If he's to become a "villian/misunderstood-hero" again, this is the perfect motivation, and I'm completely in support of it.

As to the identity of the mystery assassin? Clearly, it's (a) not Tony or (b) someone's ALREADY found a way to hack and manipulate Tony's Extremis; this seems a bit TOO premature though. I wouldn't be surprised if this was a stolen Iron Man LMD, or someone like Titanium Man in IM-colored armor. My only problem with this instance, however, is that it feels like a nearly exact repeat of the Disassembled arc in the end of Iron Man v3; ie, someone gets control of an Iron Man suit, goes around committing crimes, and Tony has to clear his name.

In any case, I'm very much so looking forward to the next issue, especially considering that I'll only have to wait a MONTH this time around. :D 

EDIT: And, due to the graciousness of my comic shop guy, I was able to get the Hitch variant, which I vastly prefer over the normal Granov cover. The pose/composition of the normal cover just looks unnatural to me. If anyone would like a scan, let me know.

17. Gears

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Scan please.

18. Primal

Primal Moderator

News Credits:
  19. Gears

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Thanks Primal. The Hitch cover looks pretty rad. I think I like them equally.